Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Steerhide jacket model help

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I’m sure someone here can identify this model Aero.. I can not. Leather is very thick, and amazing. Jacket cut is pretty short. Any help appreciated!

this is my first attempt at a thread, hopefully my images show up, or I’ll look the right idiot :)

Attachments

• 93CBEF68-0D9A-4CE7-B775-EDEB7FEC4C7A.jpeg
    93CBEF68-0D9A-4CE7-B775-EDEB7FEC4C7A.jpeg
    549.1 KB · Views: 539
  • 3C887060-1787-4F34-95B2-066306081084.jpeg
    3C887060-1787-4F34-95B2-066306081084.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 662
  • C99A56F4-7AA1-4C5E-A154-0706D05A7C17.jpeg
    C99A56F4-7AA1-4C5E-A154-0706D05A7C17.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 555
I’m sure someone here can identify this model Aero.. I can not. Leather is very thick, and amazing. Jacket cut is pretty short. Any help appreciated!

this is my first attempt at a thread, hopefully my images show up, or I’ll look the right idiot :)
This is Aero’s take on the classic Sears Hercules, often lovingly referred to as the sponge bob square pocket. I do not believe it’s offered in their current catalog but perhaps you could convince them to make you one. It’s a very popular design for the period. JCP, Wards and Sears all had a version of this jacket. Pretty sweet windward on the bay rn:
391076C1-54D6-4E24-9977-EAB6F54D8222.jpeg

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Awesome! Thanks Ton. I recently bought this used online, and sadly it’s just too short for my taste. Measurements in the listing were far from accurate.. Every other measurement is spot on, but at 5’ 11” I can’t do a 22.5 back length. Thanks again!

Awesome! Thanks Ton. I recently bought this used online, and sadly it’s just too short for my taste. Measurements in the listing were far from accurate.. Every other measurement is spot on, but at 5’ 11” I can’t do a 22.5 back length. Thanks again!
Send pics of your jacket to Aero. I can’t say for sure but they might well make one to your specs.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Yes, they are pricey... justifying it to myself, although a convoluted process, is way easier than trying to justify multiple leather jackets to my better half.. Somehow, I seem to go unscathed buying 2 per year, but I’m not looking to push my luck. I think Thurston should offer a rehab program :p

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
^^ haha, yes I’ve lurked around here long enough to see that. Im sure you guys would make AWESOME support partners.. just. one. more.

Sorry to hijack your thread, just wondering about the russet badalassi jacket you have. Did the leather darken over time?

Jin431

Call Me a Cab
View attachment 308808 View attachment 308809 View attachment 308810 View attachment 308809 Oh yeah, @Jin431, I actually snapped a pic of it a couple weeks ago and forgot to post it to the other thread. No problem highjacking, Ton set me straight on the jacket. Here is a pic of the russet Badalassi. Maybe not the best lighting, I need a good weather outdoor pic. View attachment 308808

Yes! This is such a wonderful jacket. Love how this is slowly evolving! Badalassi is just special.

Edward

Bartender
Send pics of your jacket to Aero. I can’t say for sure but they might well make one to your specs.

I'd suggest dropping Holly a line, she'll most likely discuss it with Denny and get back to you. Aero no longer have the "anything goes" approach they did in the Lauder era; understandably, they want to protect the brand and won't let anything out with which they are not happy. They do do a few tweaks here and there, though, as long as it doesn't get into requiring a new pattern (that's a whole different business model), and obviously there may or may not be an upcharge depending on the tweaks. Back in 2014 I had a Dustbowl made with a plain front and a chest pocket instead of the front yoke, which was at no upcharge.

The jacket in the OP looks to me very much like the standard Highwayman with a different handwarmer pocket design; I'd look into that as a start point if you're talking it over with Aero.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
I'd suggest dropping Holly a line, she'll most likely discuss it with Denny and get back to you. Aero no longer have the "anything goes" approach they did in the Lauder era; understandably, they want to protect the brand and won't let anything out with which they are not happy. They do do a few tweaks here and there, though, as long as it doesn't get into requiring a new pattern (that's a whole different business model), and obviously there may or may not be an upcharge depending on the tweaks. Back in 2014 I had a Dustbowl made with a plain front and a chest pocket instead of the front yoke, which was at no upcharge.

The jacket in the OP looks to me very much like the standard Highwayman with a different handwarmer pocket design; I'd look into that as a start point if you're talking it over with Aero.
Thanks for the guidance! Yes, I expected this to fit like a highwayman, but I found it to be quite a bit less boxy than the one standard highwayman I’ve tried on. I do believe one day I’d like to have this one remade with about 3” of length added to the body. The hide on this particular jacket is just amazing. It’s very substantial and yet very pliable and comfy. Very similar to a Connelly Steer highwayman that a friend of mine owns. I assume that maybe this could be Connelly as well?

Edward

Bartender
Thanks for the guidance! Yes, I expected this to fit like a highwayman, but I found it to be quite a bit less boxy than the one standard highwayman I’ve tried on. I do believe one day I’d like to have this one remade with about 3” of length added to the body. The hide on this particular jacket is just amazing. It’s very substantial and yet very pliable and comfy. Very similar to a Connelly Steer highwayman that a friend of mine owns. I assume that maybe this could be Connelly as well?

Possible... Connolly Steer was Aero's flagship leather back in the early eighties (before horse became the fashionable option). I gather they're still in business, but there was a time when Aero stopped using them because it wasn't available in the right quantities, if memory serves, then they moved on to Horween et al. If your jacket goes back to the eighties, it could well be. Aero could likely give you an idea of what it might well be if you have a rough idea of when it was made.

There's a steer Aero use that I really love in a jacket of this general style. My Highwayman, an early "Apprentice-Made" model (blue label, before Ken designed the Robin Hood label for them), is in a steer that's not the Horween CXL Stuff, but still has some heft to it. Lovely, drapey stuff - reminds me of the same stuff that Lewis use as standard. I've never handled a Connolly jacket, but this is close to how everyone describes it.

The standard HWM is definitely a boxier cut by design than others; I wear a 44 in most Aeros but a 42 in the HWM. If you want something trimmer, the Original 59er HWM is worth considering. As standard, it's based on an original 1959 Rivett's of Leytonstone-made 'Highwayman' brand jacket. Very similar to a Lewis Corsair. Lewis, of course - owned by Aviakit - were Rivett's big rival, and they sold similar designs. Rivett's for years sold their own version of Lewis' Lightning model, but when it comes to these quintessential, shirt-collar, straight-zip 'Rocker' jackets, Rivett's were first (some time at least by 1958), with Lewis putting out their Corsair / Dominator models from 1962.

The 59er is a really gorgeous jacket, just that little bit slimmer than the standard HWM, worth considering as a start point. It does have some other differences, though - particularly zipped sleeves as standard.

AerGuitar

A-List Customer
Excellent info! Thank you. Whatever this hide is, it’s fantastic. I’ve never handled CXL steer, but if it’s anything like what this is, I’d be very tempted to try it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21