Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Suggestions Needed

Jiajia

New in Town
Hi everyone,

I am new to Fedora Lounge, and have been here for only about two weeks. This is my first thread to post here. I am a leather jacket fan. I found that most posts here are all about Aero, and I have read many of them. Since then, I have been fascinated and crazy about Aero, particularly FQHH jackets, and I have made up my mind to order one from Aero.

However, I am not quite sure about what style should I choose. I am currently reside in Australia, and I am 24 years old. In my age, what style do you guys think is suitable for me? I prefer something that is slim fit, and I feel that "Dust Bowl", "Cafe Racer" or "1930's Cossack" could be a choice. However, I'm not sure, because I have no experience about HH jackets before, do you guys have any recommendations? Thank you very much.

Jia

schitzo

Suspended
consider your body shape too. Are you slim, fat, tall or what?

I'd say this is the most important consideration

Jiajia

New in Town
Hi schitzo,

Thank you for your reply. You are right, the body shape is an important factor. I am 176cm, and 78kg, what do you suggest is a suitable style?

tonypaj

Practically Family
Hi schitzo,

Thank you for your reply. You are right, the body shape is an important factor. I am 176cm, and 78kg, what do you suggest is a suitable style?

Unfortunately it's a bit a of a trial and error thing, you should have three things, time, money, and enthusiasm... Highwayman is to me the one thing I need (I'm 183 cm and 83 kg). But my favorite jacket is a totally different design, what Aero called Stuart, it's been with me all over the world. It should not fit me so well, as it most often flatters slimmer dudes, but this particular one just fits me well. Accidents happen :)

All in all, you'd have to try them on, and see what they look like with the rest of the clothes you wear. I can easily wear my Stuart with a waxed cotton duster, when it gets cool and rainy. Others would hate that look. I can also wear my Highwayman with high rise pants and a tie...

Well, I'm sure you will get what you like, eventually. Eventually seems to be the key word here.

wdw

One Too Many
You're just about to topple over the slippery slope...

Best to just throw yourself into the first one, get it over with asap, and accept that you probably won't nail it until the second or third. :)

wild_balls

Practically Family
I might have a jacket that fits you, it is a pre production Aero 1920's halfbelt in brown tumbled fqhh, I am just a little smaller than you, and this jacket is just on the large side for me. Hate to see it go! Keep an eye on the classified section!

Cheers Joakim

schitzo

Suspended
Hi schitzo,

I've just worked out that you are 5, 9" tall and about 12 stones heavy. You don't want it too loose, so I suggest you should get an Original Hercules. It's a trim cut but with comfortable regularish armholes and the stock lengths will be fine on you. I guess you're a size 40/42, right?

Unfortunately that is one of the more expensive models, but if you're going for an aero I say you may as well go all in. Good luck!

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'd agree with Schitzo. It's a very flexible design as well, as it's not too short and the side straps are accommodating whatever your physique is.

Otter

One Too Many
I have a Hercules and it is a nice jacket, mine also has the optional mouton collar for cold days. It is a slightly longer jacket so you will be sitting on it if you are driving. My favourite of the current crop of civis is the Stuart, very smart shorter jacket.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Anytime in doubt, go with a brown FQHH Highwayman. I currently have a black vintage FQHH Highwaymen and a brown FQHH Teamster. For my third, I am between a Pioneer and a 50's Half Belt (or Half Belt Deluxe). Cooperson tells me that his Pioneer fits pretty much the same as other jackets that he has, and the arm holes didn't seem too small. However, Schitz found that the Pioneer didn't work for him at all. Never know until you try on the jacket whether or not it suits you. [huh]

Last edited:
Schitzo/ Sloan-
What is the length on the Orig Hercules?
Does it fit like the 30s Halfbelt or 50s?
Also, does it dip down in front? can't tell from the website pics.
Thanks as you are the 2 guys who've tried it on.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
It does dip down at the front. My pre-prod Dustbowl is pretty much a OH at the front and Dustbowl back. I think the Dustbowl is a slightly more roomy 30s fit than the OH though I don't remember there being much in it. There are some extra pics of it being worn in the FL feature on the April show. The OH's straps are towards the bottom of the jacket, while the DB's are level with the half-belt

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/show...rade-Week-By-Craig-Brown&highlight=Ken+Calder

wdw

One Too Many
Sloan, it was good to go back over that link now the dust has settled. After having had some time to look through the Aero site in more detail, it was really useful to see the jackets again on real people.

It would be even better to have the same for all the other jackets so that we can make meaningful comparisons about lengths, styles etc.

schitzo

Suspended
Schitzo/ Sloan-
What is the length on the Orig Hercules?
Does it fit like the 30s Halfbelt or 50s?
Also, does it dip down in front? can't tell from the website pics.
Thanks as you are the 2 guys who've tried it on.

The size 38 is 24.5 inches at the back. For me - and I have tried both - it fits in between a 50s HB and a 30s HB. I'd describe it as trim but not tight, and definitely not roomy like the 50s HB and Highwayman. All in all a very nice short fitted jacket - actually my favourite of the bunch.
Unlike the 30s HB which has quite a pronounced dip, the dip on this one is more rounded

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, it was good to go back over that link now the dust has settled. After having had some time to look through the Aero site in more detail, it was really useful to see the jackets again on real people.

It would be even better to have the same for all the other jackets so that we can make meaningful comparisons about lengths, styles etc.

According to Holly, it can affect somebody's impression of a jacket if they see it on a younger or older model, which is why they use neutral models. Not sure what to make of this one...:D

schitzo

Suspended
Thanks Schitz-
I'm a 38 too, so that input is exactly what I was looking for...

No worries. I forgot to add, I'm 6,2 and for an OH I'd add just 0.5 of an inch to the length, such is the way that one fits. For your reference my ideal length for a 50s HB is 26.5

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Where in Oz are you? Also consider that HH jackets are very heavy to wear and do restrict your movement somewhat. People will vary but I have an Aero 1930's half-belt - there are not that many days in the year I can wear it comfortably. It has to be those days 15 degrees to 19 degrees. The thing is they aren't warm when it is really cold (leather is a poor insulator) - you need a thick jumper (sweater) and they are hot to wear from 19 degrees and up because you are carrying a lot of unyielding weight. If you've never seen or worn one be prepared for a very interesting experience. I'd go a 2.5oz leather - a thinner hide that will be more versatile. I have had dozens of leahter jackets but most of them end up as ornaments on the floor or in the cupboard - I wear a 2.5oz goat skin jacket most.

wdw

One Too Many
According to Holly, it can affect somebody's impression of a jacket if they see it on a younger or older model, which is why they use neutral models. Not sure what to make of this one...:D

I kind of understand the theory there, but I reckon most of us are more interested in how the jacket fits a human rather than the age or appearance of who's wearing it. I'm thinking things like where the hem lies on a pair of jeans compared to the height of the person wearing it, or whether it looks tight or loose.

I know you've got your eye on that Irvin, so are you put off because you see it as a girl's jacket now, or rather do you feel compelled to get a curly red wig and slap on some lip gloss? :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart