Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Suggestions Needed

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'm in Australia as well (Sydney) and have a FQHH Cafe Racer. I manage to get a decent amount of use out of it throughout the year, I'm starting to wear it again now as we are in Autumn. As mentioned, its not a "hot" jacket at all....I understand that has more to do with the lining than the leather itself.

While I love the style and the jacket (I get complements from random people almost every-time I wear it). The only thing to keep in mind with the Cafe Racer is it is definitely a casual jacket, you cant really get away with wearing a collared shirt underneath it so a jacket with a collar might be more versatile. My Roadster in Jerky HH from AL is in the mail, I'll be able to give comparisons when it arrives in a few days.

In short, Cafe racer is a great jacket but a half belt, Highwayman or Cossak might be more versatile style wise.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As I said people will vary - I lived in Sydney for a year - only ever wore a denim jacket for about three weeks of the year. Don't know if there are rules to cafe racers - I have 4 cafe racers, I wear them with business shirts all the time. I like that look.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I know you've got your eye on that Irvin, so are you put off because you see it as a girl's jacket now, or rather do you feel compelled to get a curly red wig and slap on some lip gloss? :)

I am entirely relaxed with my own feminine side, and am currently practicing with wig/lippy combinations as I type. On a more jacket-y subject, and before we return to the OP, I should point out that the collar on this rather gorgeous model's Irvin is the contrasting version...

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Sloan, you need to go ahead and buy that Irvin. Maybe Aero will include the model wearing it as a bonus. :D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
You might only think that she is a mannequin; first impressions are not always accurate. :D Regardless, you owe it to yourself to take the plunge and buy that Irvin you have lusted after for a long time.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I'm waiting to see it in seal and then make my mind up which way to jump (I kind of like the contrast collar too). As it is we're into double figure temperatures, finally, so it's Dustbowl or the Robuck at the mo'. Happy days!:D

Cooperson

One Too Many
So many great jackets to choose from. With your size, you could probably choose any style and carry it off. If you are already considering the Dustbowl and the cafe Racer you must like the shorter look, so either would be good. Finding your own Holy Grail leather jacket is unlikely to be done first time round, so go with what you like, enjoy the break in process, then start looking for your next! That's how it's done and that's where all the fun starts!

Oh yes and don't rule out the Pioneer, it's got a trim looking back design and a has a great overall cut :)

Enjoy the journey!

Jiajia

New in Town
I've just worked out that you are 5, 9" tall and about 12 stones heavy. You don't want it too loose, so I suggest you should get an Original Hercules. It's a trim cut but with comfortable regularish armholes and the stock lengths will be fine on you. I guess you're a size 40/42, right?

Unfortunately that is one of the more expensive models, but if you're going for an aero I say you may as well go all in. Good luck!

Thank you for your suggestion. I haven't known much about Original Hercules before, after reading your guys' posts and seeing the pics, I found it's really a design that I will like. The only thing is that it costs nearly £100 more than other models. Anyway, I will consider it seriously.

Jiajia

New in Town
Where in Oz are you? Also consider that HH jackets are very heavy to wear and do restrict your movement somewhat. People will vary but I have an Aero 1930's half-belt - there are not that many days in the year I can wear it comfortably. It has to be those days 15 degrees to 19 degrees. The thing is they aren't warm when it is really cold (leather is a poor insulator) - you need a thick jumper (sweater) and they are hot to wear from 19 degrees and up because you are carrying a lot of unyielding weight. If you've never seen or worn one be prepared for a very interesting experience. I'd go a 2.5oz leather - a thinner hide that will be more versatile. I have had dozens of leahter jackets but most of them end up as ornaments on the floor or in the cupboard - I wear a 2.5oz goat skin jacket most.

I'm living in Melbourne. As you said, the weather is a significant concern here. These days, the weather is all about 15 degrees to 20 degrees (except this week, it's got 20 degrees up), making it comfortable to wear only a shirt inside the leather jacket. But when it getting colder, I think I have to wear a sweater inside. I have no experience about Horsehide before, I am wondering that will it get very stiff in the cold winter days in OZ?

Jiajia

New in Town
I'm in Australia as well (Sydney) and have a FQHH Cafe Racer. I manage to get a decent amount of use out of it throughout the year, I'm starting to wear it again now as we are in Autumn. As mentioned, its not a "hot" jacket at all....I understand that has more to do with the lining than the leather itself.

While I love the style and the jacket (I get complements from random people almost every-time I wear it). The only thing to keep in mind with the Cafe Racer is it is definitely a casual jacket, you cant really get away with wearing a collared shirt underneath it so a jacket with a collar might be more versatile. My Roadster in Jerky HH from AL is in the mail, I'll be able to give comparisons when it arrives in a few days.

In short, Cafe racer is a great jacket but a half belt, Highwayman or Cossak might be more versatile style wise.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, it is also my concern that the Cafe Racer is a style without collar, making it not as versatile as other styles. As I am currently not a motorbike rider, I think I will choose other style this time. Maybe I will consider it when I have a motorbike.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
They're not great in the cold and unless you buy the right size you won't fit a jumper underneath. Your body heat keeps them somewhat flexible but it takes some years to break them in. If you could borrow one to test would be good.

Jiajia

New in Town
Thanks Schitzo, Tonypaj, wdw, wild_balls, Sloan, Otter, Fanch, handymike, Seb Lucas, nick123, ProteinNerd, Cooperson, thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. After reading your posts and seeing the link given by Sloan which contains many pics of Aero on real people, I narrow down my choices of the first Aero jacket to Original Hercules, Pioneer, and 1930's Half Belt. Probably, I will choose one style from these three.

As said by Tonypaj and Cooperson, choosing a Aero leather jacket is a sort of trial and error process, it is unlikely to find a most suitable style at the first time round. So, I will probably make up my mind soon and order one, because I still have to wait so long for my first Aero.

wild_balls

Practically Family
I'm living in Melbourne. As you said, the weather is a significant concern here. These days, the weather is all about 15 degrees to 20 degrees (except this week, it's got 20 degrees up), making it comfortable to wear only a shirt inside the leather jacket. But when it getting colder, I think I have to wear a sweater inside. I have no experience about Horsehide before, I am wondering that will it get very stiff in the cold winter days in OZ?

My experience is that below 10 degrees it starts to get a little stiff, but nothing compared to below zero!

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Schitzo, Tonypaj, wdw, wild_balls, Sloan, Otter, Fanch, handymike, Seb Lucas, nick123, ProteinNerd, Cooperson, thank you everyone for your kind suggestions. After reading your posts and seeing the link given by Sloan which contains many pics of Aero on real people, I narrow down my choices of the first Aero jacket to Original Hercules, Pioneer, and 1930's Half Belt. Probably, I will choose one style from these three.
As said by Tonypaj and Cooperson, choosing a Aero leather jacket is a sort of trial and error process, it is unlikely to find a most suitable style at the first time round. So, I will probably make up my mind soon and order one, because I still have to wait so long for my first Aero.

I only complimented that woman but you're welcome. Good luck.

simonc

Practically Family
Hey jiajia, I know Melbourne, and also I have considered your size. You are on the right path which is a shorter jacket in a lighter leather. Why? A shorter jacket will make your legs look longer and you will look slimmer as they tuck around the waist. A longer jacket that runs down to your backside will do just the opposite. I would consider the Pioneer or Hollywood they are both medium trim cut also, and I would get it in mid-weight fqhh. I was talking to Ken recently and he said he has some really very lovely black mid-weight butter-soft fqhh. This is the leather I would go for, you will move with ease and will be able to layer. Pair of black boots and away you go. Either way mid-weight is the key for Melb climate.

Last edited:

Edward

Bartender
According to Holly, it can affect somebody's impression of a jacket if they see it on a younger or older model, which is why they use neutral models. Not sure what to make of this one...:D

Dammit, if it'll give me hair like that - break out the Visa card!

Where in Oz are you? Also consider that HH jackets are very heavy to wear and do restrict your movement somewhat. People will vary but I have an Aero 1930's half-belt - there are not that many days in the year I can wear it comfortably. It has to be those days 15 degrees to 19 degrees. The thing is they aren't warm when it is really cold (leather is a poor insulator) - you need a thick jumper (sweater) and they are hot to wear from 19 degrees and up because you are carrying a lot of unyielding weight. If you've never seen or worn one be prepared for a very interesting experience. I'd go a 2.5oz leather - a thinner hide that will be more versatile. I have had dozens of leahter jackets but most of them end up as ornaments on the floor or in the cupboard - I wear a 2.5oz goat skin jacket most.

Good point. Jinkies, I doubt there'd be many days down there I could even look at leather. (I'm a Celt - sunlight destroys my kind).

What a beautiful woman.[/QUOTE]

Pretty, but she looks like a bit of a fake to me.

As I said people will vary - I lived in Sydney for a year - only ever wore a denim jacket for about three weeks of the year. Don't know if there are rules to cafe racers - I have 4 cafe racers, I wear them with business shirts all the time. I like that look.

Years ago, I had one I bought for wearing to the office on less formal days. My preferences in leather then were Perfecto styles, Perfecto styles, and more Perfecto styles, but it always seemed a bit.... Well, while it would never have been my intent, one of those always seemed like it would be a bit of a statement jacket to wear in the office. Personally I never quite took to the mandarin collar, but that was purely a personal style choice. It definitely 'worked'.

If you want to be able to wear a sweater with on,e go for a boxier style like the Highwayman.... Some of the closer cuts were only ever designed to be worn over a shirt, and sized-up to fit a sweater they look wrong. Think of a suitcoat or a blazer worn over-sized with a big sweater underneath.... My suggestion, if you want something like a Dustbowl or a thirties halfbelt, would be to buy one that fits over a shirt and look at a different jacket for Winter wear - something like a solid B15 or B10 repro, for instance.

Thank you for your suggestion. Actually, it is also my concern that the Cafe Racer is a style without collar, making it not as versatile as other styles. As I am currently not a motorbike rider, I think I will choose other style this time. Maybe I will consider it when I have a motorbike.

Oh, hell, don't let that hold you back.... I've owned half a dozen bike jackets in my time, and the closest I've been to being a biker was going out pillion with my dad. FWIW, I have two A2s, an AN6552, an Irvin and a B3, and I'm neither pilot nor bomber crew...

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

Hi Jiajia,

I'm in Melb as well and have an Aero Barnstormer in FQHH. I've only had it a month but have already worn it about 4 times. Just MHO but I don't find it overly heavy nor restrictive in the slightest.

I reckon it'll get a fair amount of wear over the winter.

Cheers,

Tim

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart