Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Suggestions Needed

Jiajia

New in Town
Hey jiajia, I know Melbourne, and also I have considered your size. You are on the right path which is a shorter jacket in a lighter leather. Why? A shorter jacket will make your legs look longer and you will look slimmer as they tuck around the waist. A longer jacket that runs down to your backside will do just the opposite. I would consider the Pioneer or Hollywood they are both medium trim cut also, and I would get it in mid-weight fqhh. I was talking to Ken recently and he said he has some really very lovely black mid-weight butter-soft fqhh. This is the leather I would go for, you will move with ease and will be able to layer. Pair of black boots and away you go. Either way mid-weight is the key for Melb climate.

Hi simonc, thank you very much for your suggestion. I agree with you, I will consider mid-weight FQHH serious, as it is probably more comfortable and versatile to wear in Melbourne than heavy FQHH. The only concern is that I will spend the next two years in Tokyo, and I'm not quite sure about the weather there, as I heard the winter in Tokyo is colder than Melbourne.

Jiajia

New in Town
If you want to be able to wear a sweater with on,e go for a boxier style like the Highwayman.... Some of the closer cuts were only ever designed to be worn over a shirt, and sized-up to fit a sweater they look wrong. Think of a suitcoat or a blazer worn over-sized with a big sweater underneath.... My suggestion, if you want something like a Dustbowl or a thirties halfbelt, would be to buy one that fits over a shirt and look at a different jacket for Winter wear - something like a solid B15 or B10 repro, for instance.
Good point, thank you for your suggestion. As for my first Aero, I will probably pick up a slim fit style. After that, I will choose some winter wear leather jackets.

schitzo

Suspended
People on here are forever bemoaning the weight of FQHH, but in my experience it's not so heavy nor hard to break in. If you wear it the heat from your body will break it in in no time. You just have to remember to wear it! Wear it regularly and it'll be completely comfortable inside a month

If you get one, simply put, it will be a solid jacket. But if you've never experienced FQHH before and you want to gauge the weight before you order I suggest a reasonably decent comparison, weight wise, can be made in Timberlands. Just pop in and try on the heaviest short jackets they offer. A stratham jacket I had from there was a very similar weight. Actually, mine in size medium was just 300 grams lighter than a size 38 FQHH 50s HB I had, which was longer and broader

IMO FQHH with a thin-ish lining will be fine for you and your needs, especially if you're going to Tokyo for two years

Last edited:

Jiajia

New in Town
Hi Jiajia,

I'm in Melb as well and have an Aero Barnstormer in FQHH. I've only had it a month but have already worn it about 4 times. Just MHO but I don't find it overly heavy nor restrictive in the slightest.

I reckon it'll get a fair amount of wear over the winter.

Cheers,

Tim

Hi Tim,

Aero Barnstormer is really a gorgeous style, I just loved it at the first sight. Glad to hear that it's a good winter wear for Melbourne. I'm now feeling regretful that if I ordered a Barnstormer earlier, perhaps at the beginning of this year, I could wear it in this winter. Anyway, Barnstormer is always in my plan, i will definitely order it someday, hopefully I can get it before the next winter.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Hi Tim,

Aero Barnstormer is really a gorgeous style, I just loved it at the first sight. Glad to hear that it's a good winter wear for Melbourne. I'm now feeling regretful that if I ordered a Barnstormer earlier, perhaps at the beginning of this year, I could wear it in this winter. Anyway, Barnstormer is always in my plan, i will definitely order it someday, hopefully I can get it before the next winter.

If you get a Barnstormer just make sure you get the cotton drill lining. Those alpaca and tartan woollen linings would render it unwearable here.

Also forgot to say that leather does stiffen up in cold weather but to be honest I've never had a big problem with leather in cold climes - and I've lived inside the Arctic Circle in Norway ;) I used to wear my leather jackets in seriously low temperatures (below -15C) and they never bothered me.

Jiajia

New in Town
People on here are forever bemoaning the weight of FQHH, but in my experience it's not so heavy nor hard to break in. If you wear it the heat from your body will break it in in no time. You just have to remember to wear it! Wear it regularly and it'll be completely comfortable inside a month

If you get one, simply put, it will be a solid jacket. But if you've never experienced FQHH before and you want to gauge the weight before you order I suggest a reasonably decent comparison, weight wise, can be made in Timberlands. Just pop in and try on the heaviest short jackets they offer. A stratham jacket I had from there was a very similar weight. Actually, mine in size medium was just 300 grams lighter than a size 38 FQHH 50s HBI had, which was longer and broader

IMO FQHH with a thin-ish lining will be fine for you and your needs, especially if you're going to Tokyo for two years

Hi schitzo, thank you for your recommendation. I also feel that it's an unforgettable experience to own and break in a FQHH leather jacket, I think it's just like you have "tamed" that leather jacket. As a I have no experience of FQHH jacket before, I would like to and just can't wait to give a try. I will buy a slim fit first, OH and 1930's HB, Pioneer are all good choices, I should decide it soon.

Jiajia

New in Town
If you get a Barnstormer just make sure you get the cotton drill lining. Those alpaca and tartan woollen linings would render it unwearable here.

Also forgot to say that leather does stiffen up in cold weather but to be honest I've never had a big problem with leather in cold climes - and I've lived inside the Arctic Circle in Norway ;) I used to wear my leather jackets in seriously low temperatures (below -15C) and they never bothered me.

Oh, thank you very much for your point, I will keep it in mind. Hope that I can also wear a Barnstormer in the near future, wow, that would just be terrific!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart