Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero "summer jacket" - Input is welcome!

Wallman

New in Town
Hi folks!
Whilst enduring the wait for my Aero Half Belt Deluxe in brown fqhh to be completed (due late April), I've come to the conclusion that I need a second Aero jacket. I'm thinking that I will be wanting a jacket in a lighter hide, for the warmer parts of spring- and summer use.

The choice stands between a 1950s College Jacket, Type A-1 or a Happy Days.

Firstly the leather.. I want a lighter hide compared to the fqhh. I think that the choice stands between the Oil Pull horsehide and the Seal Vicenza horsehide.

From what I´ve been able to gather the oil pull would develop lots of character and some grain, but also take on patina in a way that appeals to me. The Vicenza appears to be a more "colour permanent" leather that won´t develop the same sort of patina, but with lovely grain and character. I am trying to decide which would suit me best, currently I am leaning towards the Oil Pull as its characteristics seems spot on. But I am concerned that I might prefer the Vicenza, for the reasons stated above, later on down the road..

For the jacket I think that the College jacket might be my first choice, it seems to be a style that would be wearable to most occasions and I do very much prefer hand warmer pockets over cargo pockets. I´ve asked Holly if it is possible to have the College jacket made with Oil Pull, as it is not listed as a standard hide. I am aslo contemplating a modified collar..
I noticed an A2 in Aeros sales section that was lined with red silk, if it is possible (and reasonably priced) that would be a neat feature!

It seems hard to find any pictures of an Aero College Jacket being worn, so I´m curious as to the fit. I´m interested in a slim fitting jacket rather than something bulky.

Let me know what your thoughts are!
Kind regards

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Okay, I would not go for the A-1, the collar is inpractical and looks odd when not closed, imho.

My father owns an Aero A2 in oilpull hide and it looks nice colorwise, but has close to zero grain. Very even surface.

Personally, for a casual jacket, I would go for the College jacket without chest pocket, but I would go for chocolate suede or russet goatskin. Fit-wise the College jacket is a relaxed fit though, judging by the size 42 version that is for sale on Aeros website.

Wallman

New in Town

Powerband

Practically Family
Although the Vicenza retains its color longer, any color changes it will get from wear will be a symphony of depth, color and grain rarely achieved by other types of leather. And it is so easy and supple to wear yet possessing a substantial feel. It would make a great summer jacket for its pliability and weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here

bn1966

Sold my last A-2 (bit too snug)....does leave a hole in the wardrobe if you are used to owning one (& I am wore it pretty much 3 seasons). Got a classic car up for sale, as soon as it shifts I'll plug the gap with an ELC Monarch A-2 & the A-1 for the hottest days.

Edward

Bartender
For A Summer leather, I have a Wested Raiders Indy in goat. I'd like to add to that an Aero Sunburst in goat. For a Summer leather, I think one that's not *too* close fitting (but no need for room to layer under), in a light hide like goat, with no knits and a breathable lining like cotton is best.

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I would go with suede or goat as a lighter leather - this is coming from someone who has lighter jackets in Vicenza, Shinki and tumbled FQHH. Goat is standard for an ANJ-3, a very cool looking jacket, but otherwise I'd go with a student jacket or perhaps the Type III jacket in suede.

ProteinNerd

I would go with suede or goat as a lighter leather - this is coming from someone who has lighter jackets in Vicenza, Shinki and tumbled FQHH. Goat is standard for an ANJ-3, a very cool looking jacket, but otherwise I'd go with a student jacket or perhaps the Type III jacket in suede.

+1

Unless you live in the arctic, I’d say even Vicenza is too heavy for summer.

Wallman

New in Town
Thank you all for you advice and comments! Will have to think about this.. I´m worried that the jacket would not get as much wear as it should, the summers do get hot around here.. And I the type of person whom likes to wear a single jacket frequently..would not want this new jacket to encroach on my HBD :rolleyes:

Perhaps a waxed canvas jacket or vest then.. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24