Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Type III - pocket flaps - too big?

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I posted some images of my new Aero Type III in natural Vicenza a few days ago. I was stoked about the new jacket but overlooked the seemingly large pocket flaps. To my surprise (and disappointment) both flaps on the new jacket are 1/2" longer than the Navy T-3 making the new jacket look a bit awkward in comparison. I even measured the jacket flaps on my Levi's Denim jacket and they match the Navy Aero exactly in length.

Overall the jacket materials and construction are as expected and the fit is good although the sleeves are a bit long and the shoulders are slightly wider. I've been wearing the jacket periodically (inside) since getting it so it's beginning to mold to my body.

Not sure if I'm tilting windmills with this pocket issue since I didn't request longer pocket flaps and the measurements provided and the resulting jacket are within specs based on variance allowances according to Aero.

I'm attaching an image of the two jackets side-by-side for visual reference. Maybe some of the fine folks on the Fedora Lounge could chime in regarding this 1st world issue and provide some input regarding action - if any. I really do like the jacket, and since it's showing wear/break-in I don't think bringing this to Aero's attention would amount to anything.

Anyway, thanks for listening.

Attachments

• pocket-flaps.JPG
    pocket-flaps.JPG
    295.4 KB · Views: 182

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I posted some images of my new Aero Type III in natural Vicenza a few days ago. I was stoked about the new jacket but overlooked the seemingly large pocket flaps. To my surprise (and disappointment) both flaps on the new jacket are 1/2" longer than the Navy T-3 making the new jacket look a bit awkward in comparison. I even measured the jacket flaps on my Levi's Denim jacket and they match the Navy Aero exactly in length.

Overall the jacket materials and construction are as expected and the fit is good although the sleeves are a bit long and the shoulders are slightly wider. I've been wearing the jacket periodically (inside) since getting it so it's beginning to mold to my body.

Not sure if I'm tilting windmills with this pocket issue since I didn't request longer pocket flaps and the measurements provided and the resulting jacket are within specs based on variance allowances according to Aero.

I'm attaching an image of the two jackets side-by-side for visual reference. Maybe some of the fine folks on the Fedora Lounge could chime in regarding this 1st world issue and provide some input regarding action - if any. I really do like the jacket, and since it's showing wear/break-in I don't think bringing this to Aero's attention would amount to anything.

If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed ;-)

sweetfights

Pocket f

Flaps look good to me. Just a minor variation. I prefer the slightly larger flaps to be honest.

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
If you hadn't mentioned it, I wouldn't have noticed ;-)
Thanks for your most valued comment. I hadn't noticed initially, but being overly analytical lead me to fret over something that is, in the long run, probably not worth the effort. As the break-in progresses, the jacket will become more comfortable looking in appearance and the pocket flap dilemma will fade away.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I think you're ok there too. The lighter shade of leather can look different. I counted the inside stitches and the variance seems ok to me. The lower placement of the red tab is probably the main culprit here but again I think it's ok.
Image1.jpg

Vicenza in my experience can loose a bit of length here and there with just a few wears. I just pulled out my blacken brown trucker for spring wear and it feels like it is a bit shorter in all places since last year, and I am quite sure I did not get any taller, if anything I shrunk a centimeter as part of aging...

Your navy trucker is aging nicely. It darkened in colors eh?

Mickiemac

One of the Regulars
I think you're ok there too. The lighter shade of leather can look different. I counted the inside stitches and the variance seems ok to me. The lower placement of the red tab is probably the main culprit here but again I think it's ok.
View attachment 513122

Vicenza in my experience can loose a bit of length here and there with just a few wears. I just pulled out my blacken brown trucker for spring wear and it feels like it is a bit shorter in all places since last year, and I am quite sure I did not get any taller, if anything I shrunk a centimeter as part of aging...

Greetings CP! You are certainly more detailed than I am - never thought of counting the stitches. I just measured down from the top of the pocket seam to the tip on each flap which resulted in the 1/2" difference between the two. Having a different set of eyes (via this forum) helps to alay my concerns regarding the pocket issue.

The Navy T-3 is aging quite nicely - the hides are far more grainy than the natural one since that is still new. I have treated the Navy T-3 with some Zaino 'Leather In A Bottle' conditioner which maybe darkens it a bit as well as amps up the creak factor which I like.

BTW, I think you have a natural Vicenza jacket (not sure of the style) and was wondering how the hide will darken based on exposure when worn in sunlight. I've seen an example on TB showing a darker, honey colored image that was exposed to sunlight over many hours. I really like that color and hope my jacket will adapt that hue.

Thanks for your input and detailed comment. Cheers to you!

sweetfights

View attachment 513122

Me too. All my jackets seem to lose some length. Maybe it's the Canadian air?!

X83

One of the Regulars
How do y’all find the fit on the aero type 3 mine just came in i love but compared to all my other Aeros I feel the sleeves run less snug

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
I think it looks like that because the pocket flap is very straight and flat, try use it a bit, when the edges blunt a bit or pucker or creased a bit around the button hole from using then pocket flaps may look busier thus look smaller since there is less blank characterless spot to stare on like a brand new pocket flap

morrison2951

Practically Family
I think it looks like that because the pocket flap is very straight and flat, try use it a bit, when the edges blunt a bit or pucker or creased a bit around the button hole from using then pocket flaps may look busier thus look smaller since there is less blank characterless spot to stare on like a brand new pocket flap

Yep. This. Wear it and forget it. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk