Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Unfinished Horse Hide 557XX Type III Break-In

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I love it, although it takes 2-3 years of hard use to get it to look how I'd like it to look--didn't love year one, but I knew I was in for the long game :D Have you treated yours at all, or let it age without oiling it?
I have not treated it yet but will in the next few weeks with some sun tanning to really begin the process.
Thanks for sharing your photos and story.

MrProper

Fantastic photo, excited as well to see how this jacket ages! Especially if you decide to mix up a batch of conditioner like I did :D
Unfortunately, I no longer have it.
I had tried to make a slim fit from a regular fit (CR pattern).
The first appearance also works, but I then had the impression that she shrunk a little after she once got really wet. And since it was already very tight anyway, it then became too tight. Mainly the distance between neck and armpit was too small and thus not quite as comfortable as I had hoped. But I've learned from it ;) maybe it was also always too tight and I have sugarcoated it to me.
I would have liked to keep it, but since I then really only rarely wore it, I then sold it.
But one of the next jackets will certainly be again one from unfinished HH, because that is perfect for spring and early summer.
I just do not know yet whether PHWM, Boardracer, halfbelt or trucker. lol

Last pictures:
IMG_0762.jpeg IMG_3608.jpeg

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
-107 and saw how quickly it was changing from natural to a chestnut colour, I decided to risk getting untreated horse-hide to try and get that "golden saddle" colour. Success! I made my own conditioner from my neighbour's beeswax and neatsfoot oil from the saddlery. When/if I get another jacket, I'll do the same--this is my favourite leather colour. Also, I might be selling this jacket come the fall since it's a 38, and I could probably do with a 40.

Wow that's amazing, any chance I could buy a bottle of that conditioner from you?

sweetfights

Feliksas
Would you.please provide a detailed account of how you mixed the neetsfoot oil and bees wax? What sources/forms did you use? I would.like to try the same.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Feliksas
Would you.please provide a detailed account of how you mixed the neetsfoot oil and bees wax? What sources/forms did you use? I would.like to try the same.

I had an old murray's pomade tin, but any tin would do. I put the tin in a pot of water so that it would be like a double boiler and wouldn't get scorching hot. Then I melt my wax in the container, and then just mixed in my pre-weighed neatsfoot oil. I did everything by weight, not by volume, since #mainlandeurope

Let it cool, and then apply the balm with your fingers to your leather.

I just re-treated my Type III, last time was 2 years ago - sun was starting to set, but nevertheless:

IMG_3795-squashed.jpg
IMG_3794-squashed.jpg

sweetfights

I had an old murray's pomade tin, but any tin would do. I put the tin in a pot of water so that it would be like a double boiler and wouldn't get scorching hot. Then I melt my wax in the container, and then just mixed in my pre-weighed neatsfoot oil. I did everything by weight, not by volume, since #mainlandeurope

Let it cool, and then apply the balm with your fingers to your leather.

I just re-treated my Type III, last time was 2 years ago - sun was starting to set, but nevertheless:

View attachment 524753 View attachment 524752
Thank you. What ratio of oil to beeswax did you use??? Yours is the Best natural HH conditioning result I have ever seen. You did such a great job!!!

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
You'l have to experiment, but 1:1 is too wax-heavy, it won't work in very well, so somewhere around 1 part wax and 3 parts neatsfoot oil, by weight. If you try it, show your results! Again, it will take years for the new patina to develop, but voila, you see what can be achieved with just two treatments and some patience!

sweetfights

You'l have to experiment, but 1:1 is too wax-heavy, it won't work in very well, so somewhere around 1 part wax and 3 parts neatsfoot oil, by weight. If you try it, show your results! Again, it will take years for the new patina to develop, but voila, you see what can be achieved with just two treatments and some patience!
Outstanding. Thank you for this information. I will post some photos when I have treated my Natural HH.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Outstanding. Thank you for this information. I will post some photos when I have treated my Natural HH.
Ah, just to qualify - my HH was *unfinished,* not natural; my other jacket is natural CXL HH, and it just turned into a chestnut brown over time; see my other posts.

So to be super clear: my method seems to only work on *unfinished* leather, of which I think Aero only has one? If it's already finished with cxl or other methods, my balm will make the leather happy, but it won't bring out this honey-golden patina, alas.

Cheers,

-F

Mawashi

One of the Regulars
Ah, just to qualify - my HH was *unfinished,* not natural; my other jacket is natural CXL HH, and it just turned into a chestnut brown over time; see my other posts.

So to be super clear: my method seems to only work on *unfinished* leather, of which I think Aero only has one? If it's already finished with cxl or other methods, my balm will make the leather happy, but it won't bring out this honey-golden patina, alas.

Cheers,

-F
Happy leather is good, golden brown is a bonus lol!

sweetfights

Cheers,

-F
Perfect. That is exactly what I have, "unfinished". Cheers and I look forward to the experiment.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
I'm now contemplating selling this jacket, as I've been hitting the gym (!) and it's growing a bit tight. What do you guys think? Should I send it in to Aero along with my custom full leather Shackleton, or try and sell it here? It's pretty worn in as you can see..

Also, maybe some advice for those who have been on this jacket's journey: I want to get a Type 3 in roughout so I can abuse it even more than I did this type 3, but Aero says they don't have HH roughout. Shall I go for steerhide, and aim for the "logan jacket" look? Also, what's the difference between the regular type 3 and the 557XX?

I know some will say I should start a new thread for this, or several, but I make this stealth post for those of you who "know me and this jacket," and can properly advise me.

Thanks!

-F

Aloysius

I'm now contemplating selling this jacket, as I've been hitting the gym (!) and it's growing a bit tight. What do you guys think? Should I send it in to Aero along with my custom full leather Shackleton, or try and sell it here? It's pretty worn in as you can see..

Also, maybe some advice for those who have been on this jacket's journey: I want to get a Type 3 in roughout so I can abuse it even more than I did this type 3, but Aero says they don't have HH roughout. Shall I go for steerhide, and aim for the "logan jacket" look? Also, what's the difference between the regular type 3 and the 557XX?

I know some will say I should start a new thread for this, or several, but I make this stealth post for those of you who "know me and this jacket," and can properly advise me.

Thanks!

-F

I think the goat roughout would do just fine.

I’ve not found horse suede to offer some kind of additional benefit compared to cow suede.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana