Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Unfinished Horse Hide 557XX Type III Break-In

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Howdy folks,

Another set of photos for you.

Specs: Size 38" Unfinished Horsehide
Button Fastening
Olive Contrast Stitch
Sleeves 25.5"
Back Standard 23.75"
No Red Tab on Pocket
Olive Cotton Drill Lining
Two Inside Patch Pockets
Fitted with Campfire Label

I'm 183cm and about 78kg, 83cm waist, 103+-cm chest, 14% body fat.

I got the jacket in December 2020, too cold to wear, but since then have worn it whenever it was too hot to wear my J-107 Mongrel jacket pictured elsewhere. I've slept rough in it, hauled lumber, gone camping, hiking, sailing, you name it--it's received no pity or mercy from me.

After I got the J-107 and saw how quickly it was changing from natural to a chestnut colour, I decided to risk getting untreated horse-hide to try and get that "golden saddle" colour. Success! I made my own conditioner from my neighbour's beeswax and neatsfoot oil from the saddlery. When/if I get another jacket, I'll do the same--this is my favourite leather colour. Also, I might be selling this jacket come the fall since it's a 38, and I could probably do with a 40.

2021: 1 month or so after my first treatment with my conditioner
Type III 2021.jpeg

Cowboy 2 Vilnius 2023.jpg

IMG_3664-squashed.jpg

IMG_3663-squashed.jpg

IMG_3665-squashed.jpg

It was a pretty horrible pink when I first got it, I thought perhaps I'd made a mistake! Turns out it was the right decision!

Enjoy,

-F

Last edited:

Will Zach

I'll Lock Up
I think the term break-in does not do justice to what you do to those jackets. I don't know what the right term is, but should include character, perfection and similar terms. And it all looks natural, because it is. Not like so many of IG fakers. Bravo!

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
I think the term break-in does not do justice to what you do to those jackets. I don't know what the right term is, but should include character, perfection and similar terms. And it all looks natural, because it is. Not like so many of IG fakers. Bravo!

You know, I was shy to start wearing a hat, many years ago now, and I decided that if I was going to wear it, then I needed to "earn it." So although I'm inclined, since the infantry, to live some degree of outdoor life, every year, I nevertheless make sure that I sleep outside a few nights with just a four-point wool blanket: 2-3 nights in the summer, and at least one night in the winter. Then when I wear my hat and jackets in town, it's not just pretend--I feel confident because I've put in the work.

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
dam oil and wax took it up 10000 notches
I was debating trying to sell my oil and wax mixture, but it's so easy, anyone could do it: it's just 1 part beeswax and 3 parts neatsfoot oil, wait for a hot day for the mixture to be naturally soft, and that's it. About ever 2 years seems to be the right frequency, and as you can see, it gives the desired effect!

geedee

Familiar Face
Howdy folks,

Another set of photos for you.

Specs: Size 38" Unfinished Horsehide
Button Fastening
Olive Contrast Stitch
Sleeves 25.5"
Back Standard 23.75"
No Red Tab on Pocket
Olive Cotton Drill Lining
Two Inside Patch Pockets
Fitted with Campfire Label

I'm 183cm and about 78kg, 83cm waist, 103+-cm chest, 14% body fat.

I got the jacket in December 2020, too cold to wear, but since then have worn it whenever it was too hot to wear my J-107 Mongrel jacket pictured elsewhere. I've slept rough in it, hauled lumber, gone camping, hiking, sailing, you name it--it's received no pity or mercy from me.

After I got the J-107 and saw how quickly it was changing from natural to a chestnut colour, I decided to risk getting untreated horse-hide to try and get that "golden saddle" colour. Success! I made my own conditioner from my neighbour's beeswax and neatsfoot oil from the saddlery. When/if I get another jacket, I'll do the same--this is my favourite leather colour. Also, I might be selling this jacket come the fall since it's a 38, and I could probably do with a 40.

2021: 1 month or so after my first treatment with my conditioner
View attachment 505447

View attachment 505448
View attachment 505450
View attachment 505451
View attachment 505449

It was a pretty horrible pink when I first got it, I thought perhaps I'd made a mistake! Turns out it was the right decision!

Enjoy,

Great job, that patina is amazing

Observe

One Too Many
Damn, absolutely incredible. Maybe the greatest example of someone around here sticking with a jacket long enough to show some wear like this.

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
This is a hide I really must get a jacket in at some point, I love the idea of watching it change over time. Been through this with a wallet, but never a jacket....
or vest, you really need to wear it a lot and perhaps vest has more chance to be worn in many other situation where natural wildly patina jacket doesn't look proper for it.

Edward

Bartender
or vest, you really need to wear it a lot and perhaps vest has more chance to be worn in many other situation where natural wildly patina jacket doesn't look proper for it.

Yes, good point, in terms of wearing it out in the sun, a Shackleton might be the thing...

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Damn, absolutely incredible. Maybe the greatest example of someone around here sticking with a jacket long enough to show some wear like this.

One of the two great examples. @A-1 is no longer here (he announced his retirement from the lounge a few years ago), but he really lived with and in his Diamond Dave mc jacket as well!

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
You know, I was shy to start wearing a hat, many years ago now, and I decided that if I was going to wear it, then I needed to "earn it." So although I'm inclined, since the infantry, to live some degree of outdoor life, every year, I nevertheless make sure that I sleep outside a few nights with just a four-point wool blanket: 2-3 nights in the summer, and at least one night in the winter. Then when I wear my hat and jackets in town, it's not just pretend--I feel confident because I've put in the work.

Not many are so dedicated to the great outdoors and hardly anybody would choose a leather jacket as the daily companion for hiking, but the patina on both your Aero‘s is clearly as good as it gets!

sweetfights

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Brilliant!!!!! I have this same unfinished HH in a Standard and Strange "Vanishing Point" jacket. Just great Italian natural leather. You have done well. Congrats on that gorgeous earned jacket!!

Feliksas

One of the Regulars
Brilliant!!!!! I have this same unfinished HH in a Standard and Strange "Vanishing Point" jacket. Just great Italian natural leather. You have done well. Congrats on that gorgeous earned jacket!!

I love it, although it takes 2-3 years of hard use to get it to look how I'd like it to look--didn't love year one, but I knew I was in for the long game :D Have you treated yours at all, or let it age without oiling it?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21