Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Universal zippers and other feasible options

mvilla

A-List Customer
The damage looks from the male pin section? I do not think you need a new zipper. Just repair the tape. Remove several stiches from top and bottom and reinforce the tape with several available products. I use five star super glue-cyanoacrylate (basically a industrial grade super glue). Also, there are another products use to repair fabric strands. Here is a link with excellent zipper male pin repair. https://www.thefedoralounge.com/thr...ad-behind-the-male-insertion-pin.86432/page-3

Yours do not look that bad. Make sure you reused the previous needle holes. Remember to start and finish your thread at the bottom of the leather. I will also use glue to secure the older thread with the new one. Please remember to use tiny amount of glue in the hole before you start and finish your thread so the old thread will meet with the new.
I thought this could be something fixable like that, but every single tailor/leather repair shop I contacted told me that once the zipper starts fraying like that, it really doesn't matter if you try to repair as it'll happen again. A guy called Jules Bloom even said he tried this sort of repair previously, but never with much success. I might give it a try, as I don't intend to send it to Aero until Summer, but I don't know if I feel confident enough to undo the stitchings...
I have one bottle of that Fray Checks "glue" on my way. I got it to try a temporary fix. Do you think it might work in place of the super glue you use?

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
I thought this could be something fixable like that, but every single tailor/leather repair shop I contacted told me that once the zipper starts fraying like that, it really doesn't matter if you try to repair as it'll happen again. A guy called Jules Bloom even said he tried this sort of repair previously, but never with much success. I might give it a try, as I don't intend to send it to Aero until Summer, but I don't know if I feel confident enough to undo the stitchings...
I have one bottle of that Fray Checks "glue" on my way. I got it to try a temporary fix. Do you think it might work in place of the super glue you use?
I have a hunch that Fray Checks is very similar to super glue, both dries clear. Brilliant marketing.
Depends how often you use the zip, stiffening the male pin could go a long way. Sometimes another quick fix is to add a reinforcing tape around that little bits to give it strength and shape. All ways trying to prevent the male pin keeps pulling out and upwards. Like Photo said, you might be able to get away with the male pin fix for a long time.
Zip replacement is expensive. In Vancouver it's at least $150 now. A few of them I can get a brand new horsehide premo jacket. Gonna try to do a full repair myself on the next one.

mvilla

A-List Customer
I also noticed that the zipper is stitched twice, one to the outer shell part that is folded in, and a second time on the main stitch (I don't know if I made sense...). I really feel this is a problem more complex that I can tackle on my own, undoing both stitching and redoing it...

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Don't overthink it. Use fray check first. If that works continue wear until it doesn't. Then pony up for the full zip repair. Lead time is long now anyways for the repair queue so fray check is your best bet, for now.

JM7

One of the Regulars
I would go for the Universal zip without hesitation. I bought a custom Ridley jacket direct from Aero and it is beautiful. The only problem is I have to allow at least 5 minutes to zip it. The Talon zip is so small and with the leather new it is beyond frustrating. It sucks because I would wear this jacket way more than I do if it had an actual zipper that worked. I have read here that it will get easier to zip with time but paying over 1K for a jacket that someday might zip up seems pretty ridiculous to me.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I would go for the Universal zip without hesitation. I bought a custom Ridley jacket direct from Aero and it is beautiful. The only problem is I have to allow at least 5 minutes to zip it. The Talon zip is so small and with the leather new it is beyond frustrating. It sucks because I would wear this jacket way more than I do if it had an actual zipper that worked. I have read here that it will get easier to zip with time but paying over 1K for a jacket that someday might zip up seems pretty ridiculous to me.

This particular aspect is less the Talon and size, more the way in which Aero tucks the zipper elegantly away. It can be annoying but I really like the look of it, with an almost invisible zipper.

I also like the look of my jackets with a more ‘bare’ zipper but there’s a place for both.

JM7

One of the Regulars
This particular aspect is less the Talon and size, more the way in which Aero tucks the zipper elegantly away. It can be annoying but I really like the look of it, with an almost invisible zipper.

I also like the look of my jackets with a more ‘bare’ zipper but there’s a place for both.
I agree with you, it def looks better. I usually don't even zip it , however, I ride my motorcycle to work and I end up wearing my Vanson or Belfast to avoid the inevitable frustration

Aloysius

I agree with you, it def looks better. I usually don't even zip it , however, I ride my motorcycle to work and I end up wearing my Vanson or Belfast to avoid the inevitable frustration

The zip cover thing does ease up with not all that many wears, although I'd say a Vanson is just about always going to be a better choice given the purpose-built nature of their designs.

JM7

One of the Regulars
The zip cover thing does ease up with not all that many wears, although I'd say a Vanson is just about always going to be a better choice given the purpose-built nature of their designs.
Ive been trying to find a pre-owned Eastman Luftwaffe. I have never owned any of their jackets , I think it looks amazing but not sure if Eastman is overpriced or worth the $$

Aloysius

Ive been trying to find a pre-owned Eastman Luftwaffe. I have never owned any of their jackets , I think it looks amazing but not sure if Eastman is overpriced or worth the $$

Eastman is an excellent maker but their prices have definitely gone higher faster than much of their competition. It's believed by many that this is part of their large (and successful) expansion into the East Asian luxury goods market, where a higher starting price and marketing that features Eastman jackets on LV suitcases brings prestige.

Edward

Bartender
Arguments back in the day (all now outdated since Ken significantly revised the Aero A2 patterns to a greater level of accuracy after 2012) used to rage over whether Aero or ELC made a better A2. ELC were considered at a time to have an edge on specific contracts, though as a jacket, both were very good. (At a time I owned one of each bought used; the Aero was the one I ended up wearing regularly, the ELC hung in the wardrobe. In part the Aero just suited me better, but it was also true that the Aero goathide had a nicer look than the more distressed horsehide of the ELC model I had; this won't be everyone's preference, obviously.) ELC were always just a little more expensive than Aero for pretty much everything. In more recent times, ELC have clearly recalibrated their marketing position (I agree with @Aloysius that this is most likely to do with targeting the East Asian luxury market), and radically raised their prices as part of this. It's taken them far beyond what I'd be able / willing to spend (on any jacket, from anyone, to be fair), but obviously they're getting the business still or they wouldn't be able to keep charging it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OldBoot