Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero Windward or Montgomery??

Albe64

One of the Regulars
As I am not able to find any of this models in the vintage websites, I am thinking about ordering a new one...and I am seriously uncertain about which model to choose....I love the "richness" of Windward's front, with the 2 big pockets and the 2 zips, but I don't like too much the elastic bands....on the contrary I love the Montgomery's simple waist but it lacks some grip on the front side....Any suggestions from the Aero collectors?

By the way, if anybody has a spare 38 in brown FQHH please let me know

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Have a look at the Royale.
Aero might be willing to do the Windward pockets with strap sides instead of the elastic…worth an email.
Thank you @handymike! Asking for a Windward custom is the solution I am cocooning...The Royale is nice but they do it only in lightweight...which definitely is not my cup of tea....

Edward

Bartender
Always worth asking Aero. Sometimes they will respond positively to a polite request if they feel the modification involved is suitable and something that they would be comfortable having their name on. Do note, though, that anything that involves redrafting a pattern is a no-no, as that's their business model.

I understand your reservations re the elasticated panels on the Windward; they always rather put me off too - though they are of course entirely historically correct for that style of c.50s jacket.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Elastic cinch seems to be Winward feature, however, there are vintage Winwards that has the worn out elastics which is now basically flat on the outside.
Perhaps Aero would be open to do a custom version without the elastic to mimic the worn in look...

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600-1.jpg

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Thank you guys, I am happy to share our thoughts on Aero's patterns....I have the feeling that their Windward could have a huge success if only they'd offer the chance to leave the elastics off....While at the moment I find tons of highwayman and almost no windward at all....

Edward

Bartender
Thank you guys, I am happy to share our thoughts on Aero's patterns....I have the feeling that their Windward could have a huge success if only they'd offer the chance to leave the elastics off....While at the moment I find tons of highwayman and almost no windward at all....

The HWM has been Aero's top seller by far for several decades now. The Windward never seems to have been quite as popular as many of the other models - the vagaries of fashion. Used to be a poster in these parts had several of them, went by @Windward . Look up his posts, you'll see some nice jackets. @moktabe got one a while back with a fleece collar that looked great too: https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/windward-is-here.105344/

FWIW, the elasticated sections aren't always so noticeable in wear as they are when examining the jacket in isolation, though with this kind of financial investment it's definitely normal to question everything ourselves. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner