Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aeroleather A2 badalassi

Mikeyrens

New in Town
Dear everyone,
does anyone happen to have experience with an A2 jacket from Aeroleather in the leather type russet badalassi??

thank you in advance

Mikeyrens

New in Town
okay, because I am doubting the type of leather and its color. (horse or steer / russet or badalassi)
I also see very few pictures of an
aero A2 in badalassi.
if you have any photo(s) of your A2 in russet..., I'd love to see them.
and the jacket that I want to order is a special made size, and not a standard size, so sending it back doesn't make much sense.

FOXTROT LAMONT

One Too Many
okay, because I am doubting the type of leather and its color. (horse or steer / russet or badalassi)
I also see very few pictures of an
aero A2 in badalassi.
if you have any photo(s) of your A2 in russet..., I'd love to see them.
and the jacket that I want to order is a special made size, and not a standard size, so sending it back doesn't make much sense.
No pixs, jacket is stored another locale. I picked it up second hand and its leather is clearly horse
with front quarter marbled and alternately perfectly smooth hide adding to age worn character.
Aero contract and I've gotten many compliments though it's not a ''perfect fit.''
A tight snug, front rise just a tad however war time issue and this also gives a dash unique to the era.
A bespoke jacket is fine although the second hand aged veteran Aero A2 is quite capable wear.

Last edited:

Mikeyrens

New in Town
Oke,perfect fit is also pretty difficult, especially because it's from a website, and can't try it on...
I think russet will be more original, colour and the hide (horse/goat)instead of steer.
Thanks for your info

MrProper

My Mail is Forwarded Here
horse or steer / russet or badalassi
Badalassi is not a color, but a tannery.
In this respect, russet or Badalassi does not fit, right?
Based on the experience with my two badalassi I would assume that this leather is too stiff for an A2?

Mikeyrens

New in Town
Badalassi is not a color, but a tannery.
In this respect, russet or Badalassi does not fit, right?
Based on the experience with my two badalassi I would assume that this leather is too stiff for an A2?
Badalassi is the hide yes,I think I messed up the words in my comment/question.
But the hide badalassi will be to stiff, Oke that is good to know,did not know that yet.
To bad for me,because that hide in russet looks very nice .
Thanks ..

Edward

Bartender
Oke,perfect fit is also pretty difficult, especially because it's from a website, and can't try it on...
I think russet will be more original, colour and the hide (horse/goat)instead of steer.
Thanks for your info

Gary Eastman did a lot of research some years ago for his A2 book (if you hunt TFL, you'll find where we discussed it at the time) which led him to conclude that actually steer was widely used in wartime production. I've not kept up with the A2 collector side of things in recent years, but certainly at the time it was explosive, steer having been dismissed and sneered at as "wrong". These details of course matter very much to the average A2 buyer, who is, after all, investing quite a serious amount of money in a fairly simple jacket design for the very reason that they want to have the accurate milspec details, from someone reproducing a jacket as it would have been made back then. Where this becomes more romantic than realistic is, of course, obvious if you've ever seen more than a dozen A2s from the same contract, wartime production particularly.... but hey, I bought a Fender Stratocaster when I was nineteen because of Jimi Hendrix. I still have that guitar, but to this day the only similarity between my playing and Jimi's is that we're both left handed and we both play / played Fenders....

Russet was the original spec, though both are ultimately authentic. Seal, particularly a really dark seal, is popular. No less authentic for wartime production, though I suspect an awful lot of its popularity might well come down to one Captain Virgil Hilts - the first time many (at least outside the US) saw an A2 being worn.

Horse and goat are both good choices. I've owned an Aero A2 and an ELC. The former goat, the latter horse. Personally, I much preferred the goat of the two. At some point when I can justify the expense, I would like to have a new Aero A2 in russet goat with a custom "squadron" patch bearing the BPRD logo.

Mikeyrens

New in Town
Hi Edward,

Thanks a lot for the most interesting feedback with a touch of history of the A2 included
A2 is an interesting jacket in many different hides and colours..
I had an eastman B3 around 15 years ago,only the sleeves were too short and had to sell it unfortunately.
I like Aero ,they can customize jackets ....
The quality maybe a little bit less,for what I read here at LF,but a fitted jacket is much better then a standard one,especially for the money you must pay..

Thanks again.

Rens.

Edward

Bartender
Hi Edward,

Thanks a lot for the most interesting feedback with a touch of history of the A2 included
A2 is an interesting jacket in many different hides and colours..
I had an eastman B3 around 15 years ago,only the sleeves were too short and had to sell it unfortunately.
I like Aero ,they can customize jackets ....
The quality maybe a little bit less,for what I read here at LF,but a fitted jacket is much better then a standard one,especially for the money you must pay..

Thanks again.

Rens.

I've never found any qualitative difference between Aero and ELC. There was a time during the Lauder years when ELCs were considered to me more accurate to the contracts, but I know when Ken came back to sort things out in 2011/12, Aero's A2 patterns were significantly reworked. The biggest difference I see these days is price.... they used to be around the same price, but ELC's retail has risen very sharply in recent years and they're a fair whack more now. As with everything, you pays your money, and...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner