Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Good morning everyone,

I'm Vezio.
I'm new of Fedora, and this is my first public post started directly by me.
I often read the forum, especially about Aeroleather jackets: congratulations
to all of You for your knowledge and for the contribution You give to this very
interesting forum.

I'm from Napoli, Italy, and I'm interested in purchasing a B6 jacket, directly
from Aero.

By reading in the forums, I understood that many of you own different models
of jacket produced by Aeroleather: Half Belt, Highwayman, B6, D1 etc; so I
would kindly ask you for help about Aero B6 fit.
I own an Aero Premier Half Belt size 40, 24.5 back lenght - 25.75 sleeves,
that is perfect for me, both for size and for back and sleeves length: an ideal fit
for me (in the future I will try to make a detailed and exhaustive review with fit
photos).

I know that there are so many past postings on the B6 jacket topic, which I have
already read carefully.
What I wonder is not primarily the perfect fit for a 40's military jacket (I know well
the fit I like, and, as a military, I can say that there is no perfect fit for our clothing,
which depends so much on the manufacturer, but mainly on what the administration
passes :)).

Holly from Aero recommended me a size 38 for the B6 model, and I think I can
agree, since I've always had the size 38 for all my jackets (48 IT).
My doubt is mainly on the back and sleeves length, as I have only the Premier Half
Belt model as a reference, which is very different from the B6 (front drop and
smaller shoulder width).
Holly, in fact, told me that the standard back and sleeves lenght for a standard B6
jacket size 38 are for both approximately 24.25", less than the Premier Half Belt
model size 40!

So what I'm looking for is more a confrontation with those who own these two
models of jackets, to better understand which back and sleeve lengths choose for
my B6, so that it comes close to the back and sleeves length of my Premier Half
Belt.
I like a tight jacket, and I think the B6 model is ok, but since I am not a kid, I
would like a jacket with a back length that comes at most to the back pockets
of trousers/jeans, but at the same time that covers the belt and a sweater,
at the front
This happens quietly with the half belt model, for the presence of the front drop:
but for the B6 I'm a bit confused.
If I choose the same back length of 24.5" I also have to consider the lack of front
drop
, the consistency of the internal shearling, but also the neck point, for the
measurement of the back length, slightly higher than the Half Belt (for the same
length, the B6 would result shorter!).

I am 5ft 7.75in, relaxed chest 38.75”, expanded chest 40.25”, stomach 38”,
waist 38”
(measured around the jeans/trousers belt), and I think these are the
right measurements for my B6 jacket: size 38, back length 24.75/25", sleeves
length 25".

So, for those who own both Half Belt and B6 jacket:

- What is the differences of back and sleeves length between each other jacket?

- To have approximately the same back length as the Half Belt model (or a little
longer to compensate the absence of the drop) what back length do you advise
me to choose for the B6 model? The same (24.5 ") or a little longer?

- And what about sleeves length?

It would be of great help to my choice.
Thank you so much for your kindness.

Vezio.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Welcome Vezio.
I do not own a sheepskin but if you look at the thurston bros website, under featured stock you can find a couple of b6. I remember that in the description of one of them it is mentioned that as the shoulders of this jacket are wider than normal jacket the sleeves have to be shorter. Check if you can find somehting there and good luck! Keep us posted!

MeachamLake

A-List Customer
I ordered my Aero B6 slightly longer than other jackets, and I'm glad I did. Usually I would go for a 27/27.5 inch back length on an A2, but I went for a 28 inch back and it looks fine. Because it's a winter jacket, I wanted it just slightly longer to make sure it covered enough of my belt line/trousers correctly!

If you're concerned about length, I would always go a little longer - 25 inches should be fine for you. In fact, I believe original B6 jackets from WW2 were cut a little longer than the B3 and D1 because they did not have a matching pair of sheepskin trousers.

Holly knows what she's talking about so make sure you listen to her advice :)

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Welcome Vezio.
I do not own a sheepskin but if you look at the thurston bros website, under featured stock you can find a couple of b6. I remember that in the description of one of them it is mentioned that as the shoulders of this jacket are wider than normal jacket the sleeves have to be shorter. Check if you can find somehting there and good luck! Keep us posted!
Thank You Harris.
I have already taken a look at Thurston Bros's web site and I've already seen
that jacket.
As a matter of fact I considered ordering the B6 jacket with sleeves of 25 ",
unlike my Premier Half Belt jacket, which has sleeves of 25.75 "!
Thanks again.

Vezio

One of the Regulars
I ordered my Aero B6 slightly longer than other jackets, and I'm glad I did. Usually I would go for a 27/27.5 inch back length on an A2, but I went for a 28 inch back and it looks fine. Because it's a winter jacket, I wanted it just slightly longer to make sure it covered enough of my belt line/trousers correctly!

If you're concerned about length, I would always go a little longer - 25 inches should be fine for you. In fact, I believe original B6 jackets from WW2 were cut a little longer than the B3 and D1 because they did not have a matching pair of sheepskin trousers.

Holly knows what she's talking about so make sure you listen to her advice :)
Thanks so much MeachamLake.
Your considerations are really useful and valuable.
I have Holly's full confidence (she did a great job with my Premier Half Belt, which is really perfect),
but living in Italy, and not being able to try the jacket (obviously expensive!) directly from Aero, of
course I have doubts.
As I have already explained above, I do not look for the perfect military fit (which does not exist,
since they are for us work clothes, and we often have to adapt to what is delivered to us by the
administration).
What I'm interested in is just what that you've made a proper consideration: "I wanted it just slightly
longer to make sure it covered enough of my belt line/trousers correctly!
".
I have seen in the web many photos of too short and too tight jackets, just to have a fit similar to the
time of production of the original models!
I think it's important to keep the original style of the jacket, but it is equally important buying a jacket
(or dress in general) that is equilibrated compared to the measurements of your body.
Choosing the size is quite simple (apart from the exception, in my case, of the Premier Half Belt model
that needs a larger size!); what is less simple is to adjust the back and sleeves length, compared to the
different jacket styles!
I think back and sleeve length both of 25" will be the right compromise (and the correct translation of the
Premier Half Belt measurements) for my B6 jacket.
Thanks again for your advice MeachamLake.

jacketjunkie

Call Me a Cab
Welcome to the fedoralounge Vezio!

I own no B3 but I own another jacket, the HWM which has no front drop and I am about as tall as you, a bit taller but close enough to compare.

In this thread on this page there is plenty of pictures of my HWM:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ing-and-how-many-potential-ones.89562/page-22

The back length of the jacket is 24.4" (62 cm) and I am 5'9" (176cm). As you can see it's definitely as long as you desire in the back and also covers my belt in the front. I am a tad taller than you but this HWM has no thick lining that makes the jacket sit a big higher, so I imagine these two circumstances even out each other and this HWM with 24.4" backlength fits me like a 24.25" B6 would fit you. You can judge yourself whether or not this is long enough in the front, but it's certainly long enough for my taste, so if I was in your position, I wouldn't add much length.

Edit: another thought to consider, if you order a standard size 38 as Aero recommends, they should be more willing to exchange it if it doesn't fit. If you however insist on unusual measurements and then it doesn't fit.. that's a bit awkward. If I was you, I'd order as Holly recommends and see how it fits. If it's a good fit, keep it. And in the unlikely case it's no good fit, you got yourself a free fit jacket, can relax and sit back, say "it was your recommendation, I thought different from the start, now please do it longer/shorter/whatever". You have a right of withdrawal in long distance transactions in the EU for two weeks upon receiving a non bespoke clothing item, keep that in mind and make use if it.

Last edited:

Vezio

One of the Regulars
Welcome to the fedoralounge Vezio!

I own no B3 but I own another jacket, the HWM which has no front drop and I am about as tall as you, a bit taller but close enough to compare.

In this thread on this page there is plenty of pictures of my HWM:
http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...ing-and-how-many-potential-ones.89562/page-22

The back length of the jacket is 24.4" (62 cm) and I am 5'9" (176cm). As you can see it's definitely as long as you desire in the back and also covers my belt in the front. I am a tad taller than you but this HWM has no thick lining that makes the jacket sit a big higher, so I imagine these two circumstances even out each other and this HWM with 24.4" backlength fits me like a 24.25" B6 would fit you. You can judge yourself whether or not this is long enough in the front, but it's certainly long enough for my taste, so if I was in your position, I wouldn't add much length.

Edit: another thought to consider, if you order a standard size 38 as Aero recommends, they should be more willing to exchange it if it doesn't fit. If you however insist on unusual measurements and then it doesn't fit.. that's a bit awkward. If I was you, I'd order as Holly recommends and see how it fits. If it's a good fit, keep it. And in the unlikely case it's no good fit, you got yourself a free fit jacket, can relax and sit back, say "it was your recommendation, I thought different from the start, now please do it longer/shorter/whatever". You have a right of withdrawal in long distance transactions in the EU for two weeks upon receiving a non bespoke clothing item, keep that in mind and make use if it.
Good evening jacketjunkie,
and thank you very much for your kind reply.
I just saw the photos of your jacket now: really congratulations!
Your jacket has the same length as my Premier Half Belt, in fact, like in your photos,
my jacket is similar to yours at the back side, when I also wear a Wrangler "Texas" jeans!
So I think that, even if you are taller, we both have a similar torso length!
The photos of your jacket are important to me, as they make me understand the difference
in front length between a jacket with front drop and another without, at the same back length.
Yours at the front is a bit short for me, as it covers the belt well, but it will not be enough long
to cover a sweater, that I would wear for sure under the B6, during the winter (even though I
live in Napoli, where the climate is not polar, during the winter I'm always cold :)).
I certainly cannot buy a jacket under 24.5 " back length: it would be too short.
Considering your photos (without drop), the consistency of the internal shearling, and a
higher neck point in B6 jacket, for the measurement of the back length, I have no choice but
to require a back length between 24.75 and 25". I'm oriented to 25"!
Back Lenght.jpg
Thanks also for your second advice, is really very consistent.
But I have a big problem: I like to make an order, pay, receive the goods and
that's enough! I do not have much desire to start stories, start a render, make
a new order, and take things too long.
I know that I'm wrong, and that there are so many rights for customers that buy online,
and I thank you for pointing out to me, but I want to order the jacket by the end of
the month and I want to enjoy it during winter :), without size or length mistakes.
Thanks again for your help and good weekend

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner