Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's new "Indiana" jacket in FQHH

Edward

Bartender
Hence, the need to own many jackets :)But for me, I don't want any clothing that will allow for me to get lazy again and gain weight. I worked hard to get rid of it and if I get a jacket that's too forgiving, I might slip! Plus, a fuller cut jacket on us taller guys doesn't look as good as one that fits a bit slimmer. I had that with the Steer HWM I got - it felt great but looked too big on me. So I listened to the peanut gallery here and sold it. Sadly for the buyer, the USPS "lost" it.

I was expecting to find the HWM too baggy on me too. I think the softer drape of the steer over FQHH helps, but I love it. I have long wanted a black jacket equivalent to my Irvin and B3 for the depths of Winter. I'm now seriously considering a shearling Highwayman for that "gap". I seem to be lucky in that I can work the HWM (though I'd never wear it with a collar and tie, it's definitely much more 'casual' a jacket than the Halfbelt), but I'm just small enough[/i] to get away with the Thirties halfbelt too.

Aero with some of the guys at Indygear worked on getting this one put out years ago. I'm not sure about the origin of this current pattern. For me it still looks like a clumsy slab of leather, which is partly the attraction of using a softer goat or (God forbid) lamb. When the jacket creases and drapes in that way, you forget the clunky A2 inspired design. When you see Indy jackets hanging up made of a stiffer hide like cow or this new one by Aero, they look a bit unconvincing. Again, I'd love to see this puppy after 10 years of wear.

I think this might be a great candidate for Aero's vintage FQHH, give it a bit of that softer drape that it works so well.

jps79

New in Town
I think that FQHH might be too stiff for a genuine Indy look.
Here I woud prefer goatskin.

Regards
Jörn

Edward

Bartender
I think that FQHH might be too stiff for a genuine Indy look.
Here I woud prefer goatskin.

Regards
Jörn

Undoubtedly, the goat would be good. My Wested is goat, and it drapes wonderfully. It is lighter than the Aero goat, but the latter would soon break in.

trapp

Practically Family
This is a request for anyone who has picked up one of Aero's indy jackets to post pics and details, maybe a small review? Doesn't matter what leather--just interested to see and hear more.

I own the G&B version of the "Indy" jacket, in goat.
Thoughts about it/the design;

The film version(s) of this jacket were made out of lambskin, except for the last movie, made out of cow leather.

http://www.kennydrew.com/Indylounge/indyjacket.htm

The G&B goat does not drape like that in the movie. New G&B goat skin does not have much drape to it. It is no where as stiff as FQHH..but doesn't mold to the body much...if at all. I suspect with a lot of wear, it would get softer.
I can only imagine a FQHH "Indy" jacket would be even worse... fitting like a cardboard box. The "Indy" design is not one that offers much in way of form.

I am not a fan of how G & B did the side adjust tabs...which are placed so that the leather tab pulls forward rather than backward (as on an Aero Highwayman). I understand the forward pulling tab design is "screen accurate"...one or two of the screen shots on the link I gave above you can see the tabs face that way.
Hard to tell from the Aero web site pictures what direction the tabs pull in. If backward, this is not "screen accurate". Which may or may not be an issue for you.

You can get a "custom fit" G&B jacket made for you ..but it costs extra and if I recall, is non-returnable if it doesn't work out.
Aero, of course, custom makes your jacket.

I rarely wear my "Indy" jacket. Maybe once a year.
My Aero Highwayman, Halfbelt, Bootlegger, and assorted maker A2's get most of the wear.

Last edited:

Jaguar66

A-List Customer
Hard to tell from the Aero web site pictures what direction the tabs pull in. If backward, this is not "screen accurate". Which may or may not be an issue for you.

The Aero website shows the pull strap oriented to pull forward.

5904feb2884b96b0_indiana-cinch-800.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I have a different view on the side straps. I prefer the G&B to the others as it is properly anchored into the seam. The screen accurate strap looks a bit half-cocked to me. As for drape, after a couple of years of wear the goat drapes pretty simliar to lamb. That said, I don't wear it much as I've kinda gone off the look of an Indy jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR