Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aero's sizing - to trust or not to trust?

Peacoat

Bartender
bobjones said:
Hi Peacoat. A few things I noticed:

1) I saw that you left the "V"-shaped" yoke off of the back, did you make any other modifications?

2) The middle of the jacket does seem huge, is it really a slim-fitting jacket?

3) You mentioned it was too small as a size 42, could it have just been a defectively measured Aero, as in its not really a 42? I say this because you're about to go up to a 46, and might be trying too far to correcet the first jacket, which might just have come out of Aero's factory when it should have been destroyed as a factory defect due to size...

4) I see the "squirrel" effect when you life your arms, is it as bad as it looks?

I didn't leave the yoke off the jacket; that is the way it came without my making any modification to it. I did get a pistol pocket on the inside of the left chest. That was the only modification I made to it. I believe it comes standard with the map pocket on the inside right.

The middle of the jacket really isn't large; it just looks that way in the pic. I will try to get my wife to take a side view tonight so that you can see.

No, it is a size 42. Mark measured one that he had, and the measurements were the same. I had the same thought, that's why I asked him to measure.

What appears to be excess material under the arms is there for a purpose. It gives more room in the chest than in the waist. Otherwise it would be the same width all the way down. This gives it a taper from the chest to the waist. It is normal.

bobjones

A-List Customer
I didn't leave the yoke off the jacket; that is the way it came without my making any modification to it.

I now realize, having seen another poster's pics, that if you get an action back the yoke isn't included.

I believe it comes standard with the map pocket on the inside right.

Interesting, I should tell Will I don't want this before they start building mine...

No, it is a size 42. Mark measured one that he had, and the measurements were the same. I had the same thought, that's why I asked him to measure.

That's incredible. Check out this jacket (which I also own in the 44T size) and compare the measurements:

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/357219699.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/357219700.jpg
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll104/bobjones_aero/357219701.jpg

I took these pics from Mark Moye's ebay store site since he did such a nice job showing the measurements.

For the 44, the width is 27" across, about 4 full inches greater than the 22 or 23 inch width you mentioned for your 42, which just seemed too narrow [huh]

I based my Aero Hwyman order for a 44 on the measurements of these pictures, and believe (hope?) that Aero uses similar, standard sizing.

What appears to be excess material under the arms is there for a purpose. It gives more room in the chest than in the waist. Otherwise it would be the same width all the way down. This gives it a taper from the chest to the waist. It is normal.

Interesting, as I posited this question to Will and he said there's no taper, and the jacket is straight down unless you ask for modifications within that particular size, i.e., a narrow waist, extra material under the arms for an athletic fit, etc.

Peacoat

Bartender
As you can see from the earlier pics, there is a taper.

Also remember there are two ways to measure from seam to seam on the Highwayman as there are two seams under the arms. The seam to seam measurement on the front seam gives the amount of room the chest will have. I have posted pics of this in an earlier thread, but I don't remember the measurements.

Here is a pic my wife took tonight from the side so that you can see there is not a lot of extra room in the jacket, and that it is not huge through the middle as an earlier poster mentioned. I fill out the waist better now than I did when I ordered it as I have gained 10 winter pounds that haven't come off yet.

AmpandHighwayman31109003.jpg

bobjones

A-List Customer
Peacoat said:
BobJones, I looked at the pictures of the jacket in the link, and it is built differently from the Highwayman. There are not two seams under the arms. To see my pictures, and explanation and measurements on the Highwayman, go to the below link. The pics are about 5 posts down the page.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?p=697096#post697096

Indeed the 2 jackets are constructed differently, for on the Expo the bridge panel between the back and front panels starts at a different point than the hwyman, that's what wasn't clear until the link you pointed to, thanks.

What's interesting in your 3 pics on page #1 of this thread, from the back the jacket fits well, but in the front it is clearly a tight fit.

jaxx

New in Town
remember what i said about the sizing. aero bases the initial measurments from the jacket you want yours to be closer to. so if you want a really really trim fit and are a 44, they may use a 44 or 42 but that doesnt mean the measurements will be the same. you got to remember each jacket is handmade and is custom for you. they arnt meant to be the same. thats the whole point in custom. its yours and yours alone.

Peacoat

Bartender
bobjones said:
Indeed the 2 jackets are constructed differently, for on the Expo the bridge panel between the back and front panels starts at a different point than the hwyman, that's what wasn't clear until the link you pointed to, thanks.

What's interesting in your 3 pics on page #1 of this thread, from the back the jacket fits well, but in the front it is clearly a tight fit.

Exactly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace