Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AERO's Summer - Deerskin hide - need help / opinions / experiences

Windward

Practically Family
Does anybody own/owned an Aero "deerskin" hide jacket and like to give any opinions or experiences ...
would be very much appriciated.......Thanks!!

Regards
Windward

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I haven't no, but I am also interested.

I almost ordered a 30´s halfbelt and a caferacer in this hide, but after hearing it was horside I didn't do it.
Im also not sure how good it would fit me colorwise since Im very pale, and I also felt that it might look a little snobbish and didn't fit the rest of style of clothing.
However it should be really nice to have a light colored jacket in summer.

Is the hide different from the midweight horse or is it the same?

Windward

Practically Family
I haven't no, but I am also interested.

I almost ordered a 30´s halfbelt and a caferacer in this hide, but after hearing it was horside I didn't do it.
Im also not sure how good it would fit me colorwise since Im very pale, and I also felt that it might look a little snobbish and didn't fit the rest of style of clothing.
However it should be really nice to have a light colored jacket in summer.

Is the hide different from the midweight horse or is it the same?

I don't know anything about this hide...:-(

Edward

Bartender
I've been thinking about one of these myself for a bit, but not had the cash to hand. I want to ask Amanda for a sample, but it seems unfair until I know I'm in a financial position to go ahead and order.

I've been thinking about one of these myself for a bit, but not had the cash to hand. I want to ask Amanda for a sample, but it seems unfair until I know I'm in a financial position to go ahead and order.

Please! I got two bags of samples a good year before I pulled the trigger(s)
Ask away.

A friend that I once rode Motorcycles with had a deerskin Cafe jacket that he wore on occassion. It wasn't an Aero,though. This one was very light in color..almost white with perhaps a slight goldish look to it. One thing I did notice is that the places that began to show wear had a dirty or soiled look to it rather than an undercoat showing through. I'd certainly ask for a sample...and see if it would react the same. I suppose it would depend on how it was finished.
HD

Windward

Practically Family
A friend that I once rode Motorcycles with had a deerskin Cafe jacket that he wore on occassion. It wasn't an Aero,though. This one was very light in color..almost white with perhaps a slight goldish look to it. One thing I did notice is that the places that began to show wear had a dirty or soiled look to it rather than an undercoat showing through. I'd certainly ask for a sample...and see if it would react the same. I suppose it would depend on how it was finished.
HD

Thanks HD ... OK - I have to take this into consideration. Already asked for a sample.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I just got a sample of the black meduim horse. I didnt like it at all, its too flimsy.
I would suspect pocket panels will show through alot.
I wonder if the white horse is better.

ralfh

New in Town
Well, it seems I'm the only one here owning a Summer Halfbelt, so I will give some impressions. I got it for a very good price from the famous online auction house not knowing what I was getting into. The condition was new with all labels still attached (go figure). After a FQHH Cheyenne and a custom "Happy Days" it was my third jacket. When I got it I was surprised by the softness of the leather. Totally different from horse and steer hide. Even though it's very thick, the jacket feels extremely comfortable but also sturdy. There is no need to break it in to feel cosy.

Of course there is a downside. The leather shows an eggshell colour exactly like the pictures on the Aero website. It doesn't seem to be oiled/waxed and the surface is open and velvet-like. That's where the trouble starts. This jacket will show stains in no time. Every liquid gets happily absorbed and will leave marks (even rain). Dark spots on a white jacket are not my thing so I took the Rambo-approach and oiled the Jacket (no risk, no fun). Lo and behold: after applying my non-coloured "secret ingredient soup" for three times (!) the jacket is now a perfect light brown, stubbornly resisting further staining.

In a nutshell: the jacket is in the usual Aero-quality with all the attention to detail and extremely comfortable to wear. As it comes from the shop it might be limited in everday use since the leather will get stains very quickly. You can either accept this as patina or counteract with applying a non-coloured oil. This will make the jacket light brown, which surprisingly matches the colour of the liner almost perfectly ;-) Like all my Aero's I just love it...

That's deerskin! (and Moose, and Elk)
No break-in, but it's susceptible to staining like you've said. Given that, it was a staple of the Old West, so I guess the idea is to let it end up how it will, or only wear it to places you know it's gonna stay clean. I have two pairs of western (cowboy) boots made of heavy Elk and they're as if you've had them 10 years right out of the box.

tiedomi

New in Town
Hello, I have Aero Deerskin halfbelt and my experiences are similar to Ralfh's regarding the staining. I've had mine cleaned and dyed once. A note, it's my understanding that the leather is not deerskin, but cowhide (I think they point this out inthe product description on the Wed site) and I've had one expert tell me that the leather seemed to be both chrome and vegetable dyed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk