Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

AERO's undersized zips

Edward

Bartender
To be fair, zipper issues are not exclusive to Aero.

-I had to replace the sliders on two ELMC jackets because their made in USA Talon repro's gave way.
-The zipper tape near the male insertion pin on my Field Leathers jacket started fraying after just 6 months.
-The zippers on double Helix jackets are crappy.
-The zippers RMC uses are fiddly and are known to break easily.
-The sliders on the Freewheelers Mulholland are notorious for splitting in half.
-Thedi leathers had to replace numerous Thedi branded zippers because they failed.
-The standard zipper on Lost Worlds jackets is not up to its task.
-Did I forget any?

I think it's fair to conclude that repro zippers in general are of low quality. If you want a zipper that lasts you should either get a Universal (YKK) or Riri or a NOS vintage one.

I remember about fifteen years ago or so ago there must have been a bad batch of repro Talons everywhere because that's the one I've heard come up time and again as actually failing. Some folks dislike the Hookless as well, though I've never heard of that one being a problem that wasn't ultimately user error.

Next jacket for myself, I'll probably go with whatever house zip is considered appropriate, though outside of milspec repop, I'm not a stickler for right if it *looks* right... sadly nothing ruins the look of a vintage style jacket for me faster than very modern looking zips. Partly aesthetic =, partly that I think because it's something I've seen so often on less good stuff as a cost-cutting measure. The most reliable zips I've ever had were the ones that just say "Aero" on them and have an old-timey looking puller that isn't the same as a Talon. Used to have an Aero A2 with a great zip that was a repro Talon, so it's certainly not all of them. I imagine a bad batch of zips must be a real pain, given production and then buying in bulk, and with so many labels quite plausibly buying in from the one source...

Peacoat

Bartender

-I had to replace the sliders on two ELMC jackets because their made in USA Talon repro's gave way.
-The zipper tape near the male insertion pin on my Field Leathers jacket started fraying after just 6 months.
-The sliders on the Freewheelers Mulholland are notorious for splitting in half.
-Thedi leathers had to replace numerous Thedi branded zippers because they failed.
-Did I forget any?

I think it's fair to conclude that repro zippers in general are of low quality. If you want a zipper that lasts you should either get a Universal (YKK) or Riri or a NOS vintage one.
Hey Marc, what size is the YKK Universal zip?

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Because larger zippers are ahistorical for this kind of jacket and Aero takes that side of things very seriously. It's true that jackets of that time period were usually not made in heavy leather, but if you choose the Universal it will be more than strong enough.

Aero´s reluctance just leads to people running around in jackets with god-awful zippers, replaced by unskilled hands because
- the No. 5 Talons (Hookless) are bound to fail eventually and
- as Aero themselves offer no help, people go to their own cobblers to have the job done.

I am a big fan of Aero and really like the whole team, but this approach I never understood.

A No. 8 is visually almost the same and much stronger, and even a No. 10 doesn´t look ridiculously out of place on a heavy jacket (c.f. Vanson etc.).

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Update: I am in contact with Aero's staff and they are proposing a pick up of my Windward for replacing the zip with an Universal...Let's see how it goes but I am happy about the quick and positive answer from their side: no issues were raised and everybody was very kind and supportive.
Surely I'll keep on collecting their jackets

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
Update: I am in contact with Aero's staff and they are proposing a pick up of my Windward for replacing the zip with an Universal...Let's see how it goes but I am happy about the quick and positive answer from their side: no issues were raised and everybody was very kind and supportive.
Surely I'll keep on collecting their jackets

Glad, how it worked out for you.

This is also my impression: the zippers may fail sometimes, but Aero´s dealings with such issues are always top notch!

Robson

Familiar Face
The zipper in my Hooch Hauler is also not good, it is not strong enough to cope with the realy thick natural leather.
It opened up a few time because of the tension from the heavy leather. It still works, but i have to be careful, possibly I will send it back to put in a stronger zipper. Or I will have it done by a local.
My Highwayman and Hercules don't have the problem.

Peacoat

Bartender
The zipper in my Hooch Hauler is also not good, it is not strong enough to cope with the realy thick natural leather.
It opened up a few time because of the tension from the heavy leather. It still works, but i have to be careful, possibly I will send it back to put in a stronger zipper. Or I will have it done by a local.
My Highwayman and Hercules don't have the problem.
Once the zipper opens a time or two, it will continue to do so. Fortunately, my Thunder Bay opened when I was on the way home and not on the way out. It's no fun to be trapped in a jacket and have to fight your way out, especially when in public.

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Aero´s reluctance just leads to people running around in jackets with god-awful zippers, replaced by unskilled hands because
- the No. 5 Talons (Hookless) are bound to fail eventually and
- as Aero themselves offer no help, people go to their own cobblers to have the job done.

I am a big fan of Aero and really like the whole team, but this approach I never understood.

A No. 8 is visually almost the same and much stronger, and even a No. 10 doesn´t look ridiculously out of place on a heavy jacket (c.f. Vanson etc.).

I pretty much agree with you but I think the problem is the #5 Talon is seen as di rigueur by a lot of repro buyers (which is why the JP brands also use it for all 50s designs even though all of these companies are using heavier leather than the originals.)

Aero actually tried to switch to repro-styled YKK zips as the default about 15 years ago, but people didn't seem happy with it at the time. Now that the YKK Universal has proved so popular among the core customers, I am hoping that becomes the default with the Talon as a special request (so it's only for those who know what they're getting into).

EDIT: Typo.

Last edited:

jglf

A-List Customer
I hate the way #10 zips look exposed like on Vanson’s. Probably wouldn’t be too bad if covered by the leather fold like on Aero jackets. I think a #8 would be perfect.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab

-Did I forget any?

Very well written. I like Universal because they are well made. Riri is the top producer of zippers in the world. They still produce quality items just like they did in the past. Thedi does include top of the line zippers in their garments. However, I wonder why the rest of the top manufactures do not use them?
For me, a top NOS or good condition vintage zipper are hard to beat. US made YKK are the best bang for the money.
Lastly, I try to lube my zippers ones a year. I have to admit that most of my zipper's failures have been do to my carelessness when zipping my jacket when riding. LOL

Last edited:

Tom71

Call Me a Cab
I pretty much agree with you but I think the problem is the #5 Talon is seen as di rigueur by a lot of repro buyers (which is why the JP brands also use it for all 50s designs even though all of these companies are using heavier leather than the originals.)

Aero actually tried to switch to repro-styled YKK zips as the default about 15 years ago, but people didn't seem happy with it at the time. Now that the YKK Universal has proved so popular among the core customers, I am hoping that becomes the default with the Talon as a special request (so it's only for those who know what they're getting into).

EDIT: Typo.

Well, yes, exactly. Why not offer choice to customers so demanding? Stocking a handful of larger zippers involves negligible cost or storage.

Aero doesn’t offer 1/1 repros of historical jackets, so “period correct” hardwear is nice if thats your spiel, but others favour function over form and turn to more faithful repro makers if they so desire.

Slightly outside context: Y2 is also not a repro maker. They offer pretty generic designs, always with chunky zippers. If you like what they do it’s really hard to zip up an Aero afterwards.
As to RMC or Freewheelers: yes, also horrible. But their Shinki is still WAY thinner than Aero’s heavy CXL horse (my go-to choice with them), so overall, I’ve had better experience with them.

Aloysius

I think the YKK zip basically delivers on that need. The problem is they don't emphasize that aspect of it.

I like how they've started to restrict leather choice on some jackets (where a stiff or soft leather wouldn't make sense, for example, so it still looks right); it would be cool if for example the jacket selector encouraged you to pick YKK if you have CXL.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
However, I wonder why the rest of the top manufactures do not use them?
I recently had a discussion about this with Greg (Field Leathers). He was looking into Universal zippers for his jackets but he was worried that people may not like them because they want Talon branded zippers to go with their vintage style jackets.

Thedi does include top of the line zippers in their garments.
Some of their styles are copies of vintage European designs which originally came with Riri zippers. Furthermore, a lot of their designs are only inspired by vintage originals, they're not 1:1 copies. I guess that makes a modern (Universal) zipper easier to accept.

IMG_2485.jpeg
IMG_2490.jpeg
IMG_2492.jpeg

Albe64

One of the Regulars
Well, yes, exactly. Why not offer choice to customers so demanding? Stocking a handful of larger zippers involves negligible cost or storage.

Aero doesn’t offer 1/1 repros of historical jackets, so “period correct” hardwear is nice if thats your spiel, but others favour function over form and turn to more faithful repro makers if they so desire.

Slightly outside context: Y2 is also not a repro maker. They offer pretty generic designs, always with chunky zippers. If you like what they do it’s really hard to zip up an Aero afterwards.
As to RMC or Freewheelers: yes, also horrible. But their Shinki is still WAY thinner than Aero’s heavy CXL horse (my go-to choice with them), so overall, I’ve had better experience with them.
Yes, I am going off topic but I'd never trade Aero's solid CXL FQHH with that thin shiny shinki thing...

Aloysius

I recently had a discussion about this with Greg (Field Leathers). He was looking into Universal zippers for his jackets but he was worried that people may not like them because they want Talon branded zippers to go with their vintage style jackets.

Probably because he was at Aero when they tried to do that and people pushed back demanding Talon, haha. But I think the market has matured in that respect, or at least I hope so.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Probably because he was at Aero when they tried to do that and people pushed back demanding Talon, haha. But I think the market has matured in that respect, or at least I hope so.
Seriously, I think 9 out of 10 people can't even tell the difference between between these and a vintage Talon or Conmar. In fact, I don't think any of my friends have ever heard of Talon so I doubt they'd insist on having one on their jackets.

IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0211.jpeg
IMG_0212.jpeg

red devil

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff