Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aftershave : That nostalgic true masculine smell!

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
Don't know if there are any loungers out Pasadena way, but a great new shop opened at Raymend and Green (in the Stats building) that sells a wonderful range of shaving goods--Trumpers, Penhaligon's, D.R. Harris, etc. as well as razors, etc. Great stuff. It is called the Old Town Shaving Company--try is out if you are in the area!

Guttersnipe

One Too Many
Acqua Di Parma for me as well, been using it for a decade at least. And you're right, Cary Grant did wear it, as well as Humphrey Bogart.

Bogart? I had no idea. According to the Internet (so it must be true!) other famous wearers of Acqua di Parma include David Niven, Jude Law, Sharon Stone, and Isabella Rossellini.

vintage68

Practically Family
One nice thing about Acqua Di Parma is that it's only carried in select stores (you won't find it in Macy's), so you won't smell your cologne on other people. I have yet to meet anyone else that wears it. Also, the alcohol content is fairly low, so people won't smell you coming a mile away....

ChrisT

One of the Regulars
here is an old bottle of Ambrée

60.JPG

Reactions: Alz

Gregg Axley

I'll Lock Up
Royall Lyme.
ROY0118_Royall_Lyme_Lotion_8oz_Splash.jpg
If you layer it with Royall Lyme soap (prewash), and then Geo F Trumper's extract of lymes shave soap, the aftershave stays longer.
Yeah, most aftershaves don't last more than a few hours.
But as I said, if you layer the scent, it lasts longer, especially in the summer.
I also have D.R. Harris Marlborough shave soap and aftershave.
And Col. Conk Bayrum, if I want to change things up.

Feraud

Bartender
I'm nearly out of St. John's West Indian Lime aftershave. I love the citrus smell in the summer weather and may try the Royall Lyme next.
Dominica Bay Rum has an option with a lime scent too. It's a an inexpensive option.

I find splashing a bit of water on my face/neck temporarily reactivates the aftershave.

Alex Oviatt

Practically Family
One nice thing about Acqua Di Parma is that it's only carried in select stores (you won't find it in Macy's), so you won't smell your cologne on other people. I have yet to meet anyone else that wears it. Also, the alcohol content is fairly low, so people won't smell you coming a mile away....

I feel that way about one of my favorites, Knize Ten. You won't smell like the rest of the gang!

Dr Roly

New in Town
I find Taylor of Old Bond Street consistently produces my favourite scents out of the St James' "3Ts" in particular their Mr Taylor's shave cream and Eton Cologne. For a very old school scent, Shave Shop and Sandalwood are also good. The latter doesn't actually smell much like a traditional Sandalwood bit it has a lovely olde worlde aroma.

DesertDan

One Too Many
I tried out a sample of Mama Bear's Sandalwood shave soap and I'm quite delighted with the scent, so is my wife. I usually use their lime scented shave soap but I think I shall order a cake of the sandalwood next time.

I've never used a sandalwood cologne or aftershave, what are some good ones?

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
Gentleman by Givenchy is a good one to get you through the day. It's an old school smell, going back to the mid-70s, but its got a great character, not overpowering but very noticeable, that changes subtly as it wears on.

Dennis Young

A-List Customer
I want to try some of the brands you fellas recommend. I’m an old-school guy and I have been enjoying aftershaves like Lucky Tiger, Jade East and Musgo Real balm.

th
th
th

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Amazon offers a sample tester, .5 oz, of the Acqua Di Parma Colonia: https://www.amazon.com/Colonia-Acqu...qid=1395478076&sr=8-5&keywords=acqua+di+parma Old Hollywood style, hey? I think I may try it out.

ETA: Ordered the sampler -- actually .05 oz, not a half ounce as I typed earlier. I'll let everybody know what I think when I try it.

5/1: Received the Acqua di Parma and tried it. Not sure if I like it yet, but it does have a nice, powdery sort of scent. I don't dislike it.

Benzadmiral

Call Me a Cab
Linda dragged me into the Ulta Beauty store in one of our local malls on Saturday to pick up some freebie she had a coupon for. (This girl will dive into a dumpster if there's a coupon she wants in there.) I wandered over to the men's aisle, and spritzed some Polo Green on one wrist and Polo Red on the other. Red is sort of citrusy, and it faded pretty fast . . . but the Green, more of a woodsmoke scent to me, lasted and lasted! I could still sniff it on my wrist the next morning!

Shame the stuff is so pricey. But it might be worth trying.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran