Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agent Carter

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
FF, I’m not taking your comments personally, so no worries there. But let me give you some context before giving my reply to your thoughts. I’m very much an advocate for looking at history with clear eyes and an open mind. Quite frequently what has been handed down to us as fact can be quite simplified or sanitized. Or sold to us to sell us something else. I’m generally careful not to look at history as very black/white, good/bad, but not with rose colored glasses, either. I don’t buy spin. Humans are ever complicated beings, then and now. So I get that. I don’t want to slander previous generations with generalizations or caricatures either. I don’t think the Golden Age was some cave man period and oh, aren’t we so evolved now. No period of history is completely good or bad. Your grandmother’s experience is impressive and I applaud her. But I don't believe that it’s something that can be accurately extrapolated to all golden age women’s experiences. Especially, as you concede, in a military setting. For every “It wasn’t a problem for her”, it was a crippling difficulty for someone else. Neither experience is the whole picture by itself. As is often the case, life can be very different for someone during the same period and the same time, just depending on where you lived and what status you started with. And with no snide-ness intended whatsoever, your own life experience was not as a women living in the era.

I can only say as a girl growing up in a military family in the 60s and 70s (and I admire much about the military, but the treatment of women is not always one of them) surrounded by Golden Age adults, there was much of this attitude to be seen – I didn’t have to hunt for it. It was a given. Condescension was rampant and casual.

My mother was discouraged to drive and couldn’t handle the bank account – it was in her husband’s name and only he handled the money. This was not a situation she wanted, but she felt trapped by these circumstances. She had to forge my father’s name to pay for groceries when he would disappear with his paycheck.

When I tried out for Little League during the first wave of girls being allowed to, (and while the volume on Agent Carter is certainly turned up), there was not a single thing that Peggy Carter experienced (the casual humiliations, the dismissal, the subservient errands, the lack of credit, the open sneering) that I didn’t experience. From male adults to a child. (To acknowledge the ever real gray area, the boys themselves were largely accepting, and I had a few who came up to me to tell me it wasn’t fair that I got cut, because I played so much better than xxx or xxx, other boys).

My objection to how the show has dealt with it is purely a narrative consideration. Even the most blustery bigot or sexist person is not actually a cartoon. I agree it’s simply better storytelling to depict 3-dimensional characters. I’m just leery of not swinging from one end saying “Yes, the chauvinism shown was heavy-handed and not nuanced” to a downplaying of the pervasive existence of it during the period, and many decades to follow. Neither sits well with me. Because it was real and often insidiously institutional, even though not everyone experienced it the same way, and I’m okay with it being depicted. Could have been done better, yes, but still.

Yes, knuckle-headed sexism can be tedious to watch. But not as tedious as it is to live through, I promise.

I cede my own soapbox. I really don’t want to turn the Agent Carter thread into a sexism thread, however, so maybe we should just throw in a YMMV towel and shake. ;)

And in that spirit, I'll say to Frunobulax, YES to showing some backstory on the Black Widow program. I know only the sketchings of that, not having been a Marvel geek as a kid (dorry, DC, here) so I'm looking forward to some fleshing out of that. It will add to my understanding of Natasha just in time for Avengers 2.

DecoDame,

As far as the Black Widow program, that's my assumption (fueled by a few internet chat boards). The Marvel canon has Romanov as an agent trained during/after WWII, possibly given a Russian version of the Super Soldier serum. I think they're retconning, or the Black Widow we see is really old. The Marvel Cinematic Universe's history is different from the comics (and that history/canon is fluid).

Nick Fury was originally the lead of the Howling Commandos, in the comics. I use to read Nick Fury WWII comics when I was a kid. So if that history was followed, Samuel L. Jackson's Fury would also be 80-90 years old or so.

And we just won't discuss how he apparently had a race change operation somewhere along the way.:D

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
Frunobulax, Thanks for that info! Yes, Dottie's fight style is pretty familiar, eh? I think I read somewhere from the showrunners that Dottie is a completely new character to the MU. But they're pretty tight lipped otherwise. I'm just assuming the program kept on going through the cold war and beyond to reach Scarlett's age, according to this version.

I had no idea that Fury used to be a Howling Commando!! Just having watched the movies, that's a funny idea to me now. But I have seen some older Fury pics before, so I knew that Samual L. might've been a surprise casting for some. :) Marvel is obviously not afraid to change up canon some, yes.

Last edited:
Frunobulax, Thanks for that info! Yes, Dottie's fight style is pretty familiar, eh? I think I read somewhere from the showrunners that Dottie is a completely new character to the MU. But they're pretty tight lipped otherwise. I'm just assuming the program kept on going through the cold war and beyond to reach Scarlett's age, according to this version.

I had no idea that Fury used to be a Howling Commando!! Just having watched the movies, that's a funny idea to me now. But I have seen some older Fury pics before, so I knew that Samual L. might've been a surprise casting for some. :) Marvel is obviously not afraid to change up canon some, yes.

Nick Fury was the original commander of the Howling Commandos in WWII - in the comics. He was decidedly caucasian and looked more like David Hasselhoff (who played him in a cheesy TV movie). Several years ago, in the Marvel comic universe, he was made to look like Samuel L. Jackson, who then lobbied to play him on film (I think the choice to portray him as SLJ in the comics was a not so subtle recruitment by Marvel, as well). Now, I stopped reading comic books in the 70s, so I've had to bone up on this stuff for the movies. And, as a guy who grew up reading Marvel comics, I'm in fat city. To see my childhood mythological heroes come to life on screen, with the quality of acting and FX they have now, makes this middle-aged guy giddy. So, there is a Marvel Cinematic Universe canon, and a comics canon (in fact, several). I have no idea if SLJ's Fury is supposed to be an old WWII soldier who was given an Infinity Formula to slow down aging, they haven't developed that yet.

And one other thing, the Howling Commandos as portrayed in this series aren't the same team (except Dum Dum) that appeared in the first Capt. America movie. The HC that was killed was not an "original" HC.

Sorry about geeking out. I love this stuff. Next week looks good.

DecoDame

One of the Regulars
...Sorry about geeking out. I love this stuff. Next week looks good.

You're officially my archivist of Marvel lore now. :)

Where have you seen a sneak peek of next week's ep, please? I didn't watch broadcast so didn't see a preview then and can't find a clip now on YouTube. Do you know where I might find it?

EDIT: Never mind! Found it. I was putting in the wrong ep number. Yes, Peggy on the run. Imagine that will make forgiving Howard easier. lol

Last edited:

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Actually, the Howling Commando who was killed, Junior Juniper, was an original member in the comics... And he's historically significant: he was the first regular character in the Marvel Universe to die (long before more famous deaths like Gwen Stacy... but they'd never have killed her without having a tradition of killing other regular characters first):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junior_Juniper

I was going to lay out the history of Nick Fury and the original Commandos in the sixties, and about the change to Fury looking like Samuel Jackson... but Frunobulax covered it.

As far as the discussion of women's roles in 1946, there's obviously a lot of truth to the way the show depicts them. However, there were certainly exceptions to the stereotypes. My mom was a mega-self-confident only child and self-described "tough broad" who was a sergeant in the Marines in WWII. She wasn't ever held back by anything, and there's no question that she was the dominant decision maker between my parents on most important topics. She taught my father how to drive!

But that doesn't mean that she didn't follow the traditions of the time of own accord: When my dad's partner in their photo biz struck out on his own in 1950, my mom - who was going to NYU on the GI Bill at the time - quit college to become his full-time partner. Years later, she'd say of that decision (which she never really regretted, but did realize that she'd held herself back to support her husband), "It was just what you did back then."

Last edited:

tecolote

New in Town
IIRC, the Black Widow school has some basis in truth in that KGB illiegals were trained in fake US(and other) towns so they'd fit in easily with the the target populations.
I wonder what Agent deSousa will do with his evidence(other than what we saw in the previews). Shame we've only got 3 more episodes....

Regards,

Tecolote

I stand corrected. I didn't see that Juniper was listed in the credits on IMDB. Although "Happy" Sam Sawyer appears to be some sort of hybridization of two comics characters.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Yeah, he was originally the general who was Fury's CO in the comics. I guess they were just honoring the comics by using the character name. Same with Junior Juniper... but I'm sure that somebody in the writers room pointed out that if they intended to kill a Commando, they should use the name of the unit's famous first casualty.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
As should be obvious by now, I'm an old-school Marvelite too, and I agree totally!

I've been pretty thrilled with nearly everything Marvel's done since the first Iron Man film (well, not so much with The Incredible Hulk, IM2, or Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.) I'm especially taken with how well they've handled Thor, a character/story/setting that's a much harder sell than the scientifically oriented ones. And The Avengers, my God, The Avengers! Leave it to Joss Whedon to check off every box in the superhero team-up playbook with enormous humor and excitement. It's been tremendously satisfying to us lifelong fans of these characters.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
We watched the "Iron Ceiling" episode, and I noticed one Howler was named Happy Sam Sawyer, who I thought was the captain in the 60s comics.
Was Gabe Jones in there?
As a kid, Fury and his Commandos were heads and shoulders above Sgt. Rock and Easy Company as far as I was concerned.

tecolote

New in Town
Tonight's episode has Peggy out on a ledge as the SSR agents go past the first floor of her hotel:

and Dottie has her eye on something with an iron-framed 1860 Henry rifle with a scope sight;I find it interesting that the bad guys are using weapons based on Civil War guns(re Mr. Mink's percussion pepperbox-based mini-gun) although the Henry,while unlikely, would be a possiblity in the real world. It does look good in the scene,though.

Also, I stumbled across this:
https://readerlygeek.wordpress.com/2015/02/10/agent-carter-and-the-fashion-of-the-forties-2/

Regards,

Tecolote

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Watched the latest episode, and yes, the same two tone cab keeps showing up in every NYC exterior. But I really like the characters' interaction and the sincere efforts to recreate 1946.
As agent Carter ninja kicked three men who must out weigh her by 100 pounds each, Mrs. Hood remarked, A lot of women must watch this show.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo