Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Agent Carter

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Update... The second season will be another short run in between the halves of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Jarvis and Souza are definitely returning; there's been nothing yet regarding the other supporting characters. Also, no news about how much time has passed or if it's after the S.S.R becomes S.H.I.E.L.D. One major change will be that the action will be set in Los Angeles, not NYC.

Very cool poster to be given out at Comic-Con:

agent-carter.jpg

One other interesting semi-spoiler: Agent Carter will appear in a flashback cameo in the upcoming Ant-Man feature... in the 70s/80s timeframe with Howard Stark - the older Stark played once again by John Slattery (as in the 16mm film footage in Iron Man 2.) Hayley Atwell will be aged with makeup, or digitally - as she was when Steve visited her in the nursing home in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. (I'm getting ferklempt just thinking about that scene!)

Last edited:

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Update... The second season will be another short run in between the halves of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Jarvis and Souza are definitely returning; there's been nothing yet regarding the other supporting characters. Also, no news about how much time has passed or if it's after the S.S.R becomes S.H.I.E.L.D. One major change will be that the action will be set in Los Angeles, not NYC.

Very cool poster to be given out at Comic-Con:

View attachment 31623

One other interesting semi-spoiler: Agent Carter will appear in a flashback cameo in the upcoming Ant-Man feature... in the 70s/80s timeframe with Howard Stark - the older Stark played once again by John Slattery (as in the 16mm film footage in Iron Man 2.) Hayley Atwell will be aged with makeup, or digitally - as she was when Steve visited her in the nursing home in Captain America: The Winter Soldier. (I'm getting ferklempt just thinking about that scene!)

Thanks for the update. So excited to see the next season. I love this show!

Lotsa room for art deco, noirish stuff in LA. That ought to be fun. Any links to more info?

Also, off-topic, have you seen Daredevil? I've got two episodes left and I've been very impressed.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The only other info I've seen are tweets from Hayley Atwell, who's between projects and anxious to get back to work.

I haven't watched Daredevil yet. I've been trying to get my son - who's the one with the Netflix subscription - interested. I'm not sure that I'm going to care for it, as the grim, Catholic-guilt-ridden Daredevil came long after my time reading comics. I still think of Daredevil as the lighthearted swashbuckler he was back in the sixties and seventies.

Going a bit further off topic, I have to mention that I really enjoyed The Flash. It really embraced all its inherent craziness (yes, it included Gorilla Grodd!) and was just plain comic book fun in a way that most recent DC-derived projects (Gotham, Arrow, Man of Steel, etc.) aren't.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
I just found some additional info about season 2 of Agent Carter at SuperHeroHype. The most interesting part:

“There’s a case that goes beyond what the LAPD or normal local police would be able to handle that falls into their purview,” says executive producer Michele Fazekas. “In Los Angeles, you have the spectacular wealth, glamour and beauty right next to the grit and crime—often right up against each other. We’re very much being inspired by Noir films.”

“We have a nice organic way to infuse Jarvis. That was always the challenge. He’s not an agent. The case for the first season is over, so the biggest question for us this season was: We love Peggy and Jarvis together, that’s a really important relationship, how do we keep them together? LA has provided us a really nice, organic way to do so.”

Not only is James D’Arcy set to return for the second season, but Enver Gjokaj’s Agent Sousa will also be on board, and deals for Chad Michael Murray, Lyndsy Fonseca and Bridget Regan to return are in the works.

Dedicated to the fight against new atomic age threats in the wake of World War II, Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet. But even as she discovers new friends, a new home — and perhaps even a new love — she’s about to find out that the bright lights of the post-war Hollywood mask a more sinister threat to everyone she is sworn to protect.​

Thanks for the update, Doc.

I was never a big Daredevil fan, but the name Marvel has become synonymous with good storytelling these days, and I'm trying to keep up with the MCU as well. It is gritty, and yes, the Catholic angst is there, but the stories, acting, and action are superb. D'Onorfrio is an excellent Kingpin. Also heard good word on The Flash, but didn't keep up. Only so many hours in the day, my friend. I am watching and enjoying Gotham, though.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
No doubt I'll get around to watching Daredevil eventually. I definitely want to, if only to see the story handled better than in that awful film with Batfleck a decade ago. And I'm trying to follow all the MCU projects, sooner or later. (It's certainly true that there's so much worthwhile stuff being produced these days that it takes real commitment to get around to watching it all!)

I watched Gotham, but I thought it was mostly a mess, with occasional worthwhile moments. A good cast and great production values (that police station set!), but such tonal confusion. It's very schizzed out, trying to be both a police procedural and Batman prequel. And all the questionable changes to Bat lore - Bruce and Selina Kyle were friends as kids?!? Edward Nygma was already well on the road to being the Riddler twenty years before Batman appeared? Anyway, I watch it, but mostly don't like it.

Whereas the only complaint I can level against The Flash is that it falls prey to the usual tropes on a CW-produced series, namely young people in annoying love triangles. The show's handling of Iris West and her relationship to Barry was its only major misstep. Anyway, the Flash's lighter tone made it a real pleasure. (What I've seen of next season's Supergirl series also looks promising.)

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I just found some additional info about season 2 of Agent Carter at SuperHeroHype. The most interesting part:

“There’s a case that goes beyond what the LAPD or normal local police would be able to handle that falls into their purview,” says executive producer Michele Fazekas. “In Los Angeles, you have the spectacular wealth, glamour and beauty right next to the grit and crime—often right up against each other. We’re very much being inspired by Noir films.”

“We have a nice organic way to infuse Jarvis. That was always the challenge. He’s not an agent. The case for the first season is over, so the biggest question for us this season was: We love Peggy and Jarvis together, that’s a really important relationship, how do we keep them together? LA has provided us a really nice, organic way to do so.”

Not only is James D’Arcy set to return for the second season, but Enver Gjokaj’s Agent Sousa will also be on board, and deals for Chad Michael Murray, Lyndsy Fonseca and Bridget Regan to return are in the works.

Dedicated to the fight against new atomic age threats in the wake of World War II, Peggy must now journey from New York City to Los Angeles for her most dangerous assignment yet. But even as she discovers new friends, a new home — and perhaps even a new love — she’s about to find out that the bright lights of the post-war Hollywood mask a more sinister threat to everyone she is sworn to protect.​

This sounds fantastic!

Worf

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Doc for the information! As for "Daredevil", some of the BEST TV I watched all last year. Right up there with ANYTHING else out there.

Worf

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Report via HitFix on the Agent Carter portion of yesterday's Carter/SHIELD presentation at Comic-Con:

SAN DIEGO - It's time for Marvel television everyone. Quick heads up, don't expect anything about Marvel's Netflix series or the secret project John Ridley is still attached too. That being said, if you love "Agents of SHIELD" or "Agent Carter" this panel recap is for you!

3:03 PM - Jeph Loeb comes out in Hayley Atwell's Agent Carter hat. Hayley makes an early appearance and asks "What are you doing?" snags the hat back and walks back off stage.

3:10 PM - Loeb announces that music from both "Agents of SHIELD" and "Agent Carter's" music will be released this fall.

"Agent Carter" show runners Chris Dingess, Tara butters, Michelle Fazekas come out and banter! And then here comes James D'Arcy who gets a huge cheer which is great cause it's his first Comic-Con. Atwell then returns to the stage. Loeb lets everyone know that Kevin Feige couldn't be here because they are making "Captain America: Civil War" and makes sure everyone know Marvel Studios still co-produces "Carter."

3:13 PM - Loeb asks what they think of the reaction to the show. Fazekas says last year, "I remember telling Haley you'll never be able to do this again." "It's so cool to see all the cosplay I've seen of her." Butters says she loves the fan art and "the expression" they've shown loving the show. Both producers say it's the best show they've ever had and Atwell chimes in saying "Me too!"

3:15 PM - D'Arcy was slightly worried because in the script he was originally given Jarvis is making a souffle and "I can't actually make a souffle and I was worried I would be required. My apprehension revolved around souffle making. I can do a perfect spotted dick, that's an English pudding, but I'm not so good at the souffle and we had a complex conversation and then explained what acting is. What really sold it to me was when [the producers] said 'He's going to be with her on the missions.' And I said, 'Oh, there's going to be a lot of fighting.' And they went, 'Well! Hayley will be doing a lot of fighting.'" (Laughs.) "I had never had an opportunity to do anything comedic before, but it turns out I just had to be my usual wally of a self."

3:20 PM - Why did Atwell agree to make the TV series? "I think first of all the quality of the writing. We've seen aspects of Peggy in the 'First Avenger'…but here she was funny, sexy and vulnerable and all these aspects I really enjoy playing. I'd also known the Marvel team for five years and loved them dearly. She's quite fearless and when I have moments of doubting what I"m doing, she wouldn't." "It's changed my life."

Atwell on her reaction to reading the script, "! really hoped that the writers would get her right. I read the script for the first time and I think I came out and went, 'Oh, she's amazing!' It's all on the page and you just have to show up and do the lines. The work is done for you."

Fan question time!

3:22 PM - Fan asks if Peggy did the right thing throwing the Captain America super serum away at the end of the season. "I do think it was absolutely the right decision. She'd been holding on to him and grieving him. IT was her way of letting him go. I think she was concerned if it got in the wrong hands that someone would have used that power and keeping him alive in the memory she has of him [was better]." Loeb reveals that scene was actually shot on the real Brooklyn Bridge but with some ILM magic to make it look period.

3:25 PM - What is Atwell's favorite line from the season? Atwell says, "Everyone knows the line that defined Peggy and has touched people, 'I know my value and anyone else's opinion doesn't matter.'" She continues, "It's been amazing going to conventions and having young girls and boys go, 'I know my value too!'" Atwell continues, "At the same time there is that wonderful scene where Jarvis says 'You can't run away from people who want to help you.' I think he has some pretty fabulous lines too."

3:27 PM - Loeb and producers talk about how season two takes place in 1947 and it's two months after season one ended. Things are different. Not everyone from the show is in NY anymore. Some people are not talking to each other and Peggy will get called to LA to help investigate a murder. 1947 is the same year of the Black Dahlia murder. That film noir style and story will fuel the season. Jarvis is actually already in LA and helping Howard Stark set up his new estate in Hollywood and, as a hobby, "Will be opening a movie studio." D'Arcy asks, "Do I get to meet my wife?" Yes!

3:27 PM - Fan asks about shooting in LA and if Peggy's romantic life will rebound in season two? Fazekas says if they can do it they will shoot in real locations in LA. She says no plans for actual historic figures and that Peggy has put Steve's memory to "rest" and has a couple of new romantic opportunities. She jokes, "She's a whore." (That was a joke.) Loeb is rattled by that and, thankfully for him, it's time to end this part of the panel and segue to "Agents of SHIELD."

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I really like the wardrobe of Howard (Hughes) Stark. I was hoping his Butler (the Cumberbatch Clone) would be less a home bird and wet blanket and more WWII SOE/SAS. But... Early days as I'm only two episodes into it...

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I really like the wardrobe of Howard (Hughes) Stark. I was hoping his Butler (the Cumberbatch Clone) would be less a home bird and wet blanket and more WWII SOE/SAS. But... Early days as I'm only two episodes into it...

PADDY! It is so good to see you here at the Lounge!

I think you'll really enjoy Agent Carter. I loved it and can't wait to see Season 2!

The show has outstanding period style (just awesome), good action adventure, fun dialogue (like with Jarvis) but not enough of it and only okay stories. But very much looking forward to its return.

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Right.

I'm not sure when I'm going to get around to watching it, but I was very impressed with the Daredevil series, and Krysten Ritter is a longstanding personal favorite. So I definitely will! (Unlike nearly every earlier Marvel Studios project, Jessica Jones is a character that was created long after my comics-reading days that I've never read, so I'll be going I cold. But by this point, I have faith!)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot