Agnoulita Hats

Discussion in 'Hats' started by Perry Underwood, Feb 18, 2018.

1. PanosChris

PanosChris One of the Regulars

I don't have much info on the exact source I am afraid, I mainly focused on his vintage beaver ones :)

mayserwegener and deadlyhandsome like this.
  2. deadlyhandsome

deadlyhandsome I'll Lock Up

I sent photos of a vintage hat I was using for inspiration...it didn’t translate well. Part of the problem is communication via Etsy which doesn’t do justice for photos. Thankfully, Mr. P sent me some photos to see if I was alright with the color. I’m having the burnt orange ribbon replaced with a more conservative color.

[​IMG]

It’s not horrible, but not the color I had in mind. The felt is intriguing and I’m excited to see what the true color is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Is the felt a blue grey?

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  4. PanosChris

Glad the ribbon color was solved before the hat was shipped. We will see more when the hat arrives but in this pic the brim binding seems very promising.

deadlyhandsome likes this.
  5. deadlyhandsome

I won’t know until it arrives. :)
    This is the color I ordered:

[​IMG]

Another photo showing yet another shade:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 8, 2019
  6. deadlyhandsome

New hat day!

Real hat box:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Indoor artificial light (closer to what it looks like in artificial light).

[​IMG]

Outdoor natural light:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The color of the felt I ordered:

[​IMG]

I ordered it with a 6 1/8” #52 open crown and 2 3/4” wide bound brim (I asked for wider “Whippet” width binding). The hat was made to those exact specifications. The ribbon is still a question, and may get replaced at some point, but I’m warming to it. The bow is large and extends further forward than I’m used to...not sure about that either, but I’m willing to give it a try. The sweatband is a soft quality leather and very comfortable. The finishing and detail work is also by far the best of any of the Agnoulitas I own. Mr. P has really upped his game.

The felt: This is a newly sourced 100% hare felt and offered at a substantial premium over his normal rabbit fur felt. I have to say that I’m impressed. The felt is dense and nicely pounced. I like it enough to order another. One of the real difficulties is getting a true idea of the color of the felt. I wanted a light grey and I was alright with blue, but not brown, undertones. The felt is all that, but with stronger blue tones than expected, and quite different from the photo from the color chart. I’ll be asking for felt swatches, but I don’t know if they are available (they are for his rabbit fur felt). I ordered the “light weight pounced” finish and I’m glad I did as the felt is relatively thin and reasonably dense, but it’s not really a lightweight. I wouldn’t want anything heavier for a dress hat.

Lastly, Agnoulita offers many different liners and I asked for something iridescent and a bit flashy. Mr. P told me he made a liner just for me but didn’t want to ruin the surprise:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I’m putting together another order and I’m really interested in this new hare felt in a western.

Remember, Lounge members get free shipping from Greece...my hat arrived in less than one week! Also remember that Mr. P runs a high volume shop, works crazy hours (he’s sent me emails at 2:30 a.m. his time), and completes many hats every day. All of which is to say he’s very busy and he might not answer your emails in what we consider a timely manner. If you’re used to domestic hatters who you work closely with and immediately get back to you you’ll be in for a shock. It can be frustrating, but it’s just the reality of Agnoulita so just accept it if you place an order.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  7. PanosChris

Your Agnoulita looks great Brent ! It seems Mr P did a great job on this one. I am glad you like the new hare felt. I had the same impression when I saw them in person a few weeks ago. I also like the colors a lot, I agree the ribbon might be a bit bold but makes a nice color combo to wear in the autumn :) Personally I would change only one thing, the flange, I like deep flanges but that's just me. The liner print is a cool touch ! Congrats !

8. humanshoes

humanshoes Vendor

Great looking hat Brent. I'm especially digging that fancy liner.

9. Daniele Tanto

Daniele Tanto Call Me a Cab

Brent, this Agnoulita hat is the best I saw, from that hatter, on your head
    I like totally the color of the felt, one of the best I saw in the last months from the current hatters
    Some doubts about the color of the ribbon and shape of the bow. I will look for other combinations.
    The proportions are very interesting
    Complimenti!

Cornshucker77, Zombie_61, BKM and 3 others like this.
  10. Just Daniel

Just Daniel Practically Family

That looks amazing!

And it’s the model we were discussing a while back: The Deadly Handsome.

Perfect. Absolutely perfect. Don’t change a thing.

Daniel

11. Tukwila

Tukwila Call Me a Cab

Looks great, Brent! I love the colors and the wide bow. The Deadly Handsome liner is awesome!

12. Wyldkarma

Wyldkarma One Too Many

Would make an excellent Texas Longhorns hat..... burnt orange, Hook em Horns! ;)

Rmccamey, Zombie_61, Tukwila and 2 others like this.
  13. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Very nice hat, Brent, and I like those colors (at least, the colors I see on my monitor ;) ).

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  14. steur

steur I'll Lock Up

Excellent write up, Brent. I like the shape of the hat very much. Bit unsure about the ribbon colour but it does give the hat a summer feel.

Zombie_61 and deadlyhandsome like this.
  15. deadlyhandsome

I’m warming to the ribbon, but had I known the true color I would have went with something else. The good part is that a ribbon replacement is a $25 job...if I ever decide to go that way.

There is some natural preference differences on the amount of flange on the the brim. I specified a shallow flange, but the shop can make them however one wants.

16. Rmccamey

Rmccamey One Too Many

Hat shape and style are great, Brent. I'll have to look more closely at Mr. Ps hats.
    Love the personalized liner, very nice touch...could be a whole new line...Deadlyhandsome Hats!

deadlyhandsome and PanosChris like this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Heading to Crete next spring and may go via Athens. If I do will pop into Agnoulito and have a look. Have sent him an email through Etsy to inquire about Fepsa Beaver felts. If he has any in a colour I like may send the deposit now and chose the rest on my visit. Lets see if he response to my inquiry.

PanosChris likes this.
  18. drmaxtejeda

drmaxtejeda I'll Lock Up

I just sent him an email via Etsy yesterday, asking if he can make a sombrero Cordobés in FEPSA beaver.

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

PanosChris and deadlyhandsome like this.
  19. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Interesting, do you think the felts will be big enough to get that much brim? The next time Akubra has a sale I am going to bite on one of their sombreros.

drmaxtejeda likes this.
  20. deadlyhandsome

The felter providing the 100% hare hat bodies is slow to fill orders. I have two on order, but I know that Agnoulita took delivery of some a couple months ago. I asked Mr. what he has in stock and I selected this felt:

[​IMG]

These are the specifications I sent:

1. Size 62
    2. #52 block
    3. 1-861-311 lightweight felt
    4. 16cm open crown
    5. Narrow brim binding slightly darker than the felt.
    6. Minimal stiffeners added to the crown
    7. Finely pounced
    8. Tan leather sweatband
    9. Tone-on-tone crown ribbon
    10. 2.5cm wide crown ribbon
    11. Standard bow with frayed trailing edge
    12. Curled brim edge
    13. Iridescent liner
    14. I want the brim to be 7cm wide after the curl
    15. I don’t want it to be any stiffer than needed to hold its shape.

Can’t wait to see how Mr. takes these specs and turns it into a hat. Hopefully I’ll get this hat in just 2-3 weeks!