Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Air War in the Desert

Mojave Jack

One Too Many
OK, all you Wing Nuts! I'm fishing for some sources for a project I want to do on the evolution of close air support strategy and tactics during the North African Campaign. Several of you mentioned some great titles in this thread http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=7098, so I'd like to pick your brains just a little bit more.

I just got a high recommendation for The Desert Generals by Correlli Barnett. Has anyone read that one? I'd be interested in a review, particularly if you happen to remember how well he covered the arguments between the ground commanders and the air commanders over the control and employment of air assets.

Baggers, you mentioned Desert War by Alan Moorehead. That popped up in some of my searches, and looked good. (darn Amazon and their recommendations! How much money do they think I have?!) How was that?

Lastly, Zemke, you mentioned Desert Eagles. I'd really love to hear about that, too. Any other recommendations on the air war in the desert?

I'm also trying to flesh out some uniforms for the Commonwealth troops on the air side of things, too, so a lot of good pictures would be a real bonus. Anybody know if the RAF folks were using the blue-grey 37 pattern gear in the desert, or were they using the standard khaki gear? Any good references specifically for RAF uniforms and gear in the desert?

Thanks!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
North Africa

I don't know if your project is complete at this point, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents worth. "Desperate Venture" by Norman Gelb is about Operation Torch. Also, I have a book or an article somewhere that says that the New Zealand Air Marshal Coningham basically invented the modern theory of air superiority in North Africa.
Finally, any bio of Eisenhower (Perret, Ambrose, Butcher) will have a lot of info on the American side, and Churchill's 6 volume history of the war is still the first go to source for the British angle.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Christopher Shores and Hans Ring's "Fighters over the Desert" is an oldie but one of the definitive books on the subject.

"Shark Squadron" by Robin Brown which is the history of 112 Sqn RAF (the Tomahawks and Kittyhawks with the shark mouths), has a lot about the air war in North Africa as 112 were very heavily involved, good book.

"The Desert Air War - 1939-45" by Richard Townshend Bickers, lots of reminicences of the author and others, very, very good.

That should get you started. If you are after memoirs I can list some that I have read which I have thought good.

Cheers,

Smithy.

EDIT - just saw the thing about uniforms...Khaki Drill (KD) uniform was standard dress in North Africa for the RAF.

DOUBLE EDIT - Just saw that your original post was from March so I might be miles late here! Sorry I was moving country when you originally posted so didn't see this until it was brought up again today.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24