Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Airbrush Makeup

fernande

Vendor
Airbrush stuff works really well, but I wouldn't suggest it for every day use
unless you are a Pinup Model doing photo shoot makeup every day (or a least three times a week), Burlesque Dancer, or TV news anchor (in that particular order-ha)

Where it really shines is in body makeup application- you can even out the tone of your skin- add some sparkles, glitter ect. or what its most used for is to give the skin a more "tan" appearance. It *is* really lovely and does make the skin look gorgeous, but its quite an apparatus, and its not a cheap endevour.

The other plus points is-
It tends to stay no very long and not smudge because it doesn't have a lot of oil in the base- and because you spray it on, it applies extremely evenly, and gives the most coverage for the least amount of product. That's why MUA like it so much.- Its great for people with acne- or acne scars. You can also do it to do crazy makeup techniques that with a bare hand only very artful advanced makeup artists can do. like this below
elsahat2.jpg

this was from a 1940's/80's/ "blade runner" styled shoot I did. with an airbrush are you able to get really sharp lines. good for Art Deco styles (or crazy punkish/goth Siouxsie and the Banshees styles)

There is a lady who makes something called the DinAIR airbrush, and she does kits- but the last I saw-they start around $300.00. I think she has a website- (google "Dinair")- Her kits are nicely organized, come with set colors- and instructions- and she does classes in the LA area- but this is definately something she designed for the "civilian" market and has really jacked up the prices. (immensely)

If you realllllllly want one- I can direct you to a makeup artist supply shop where you can get the machine for around $100.00, and then you just get your paints/solutions. They last forever. There are tons, so be sure to ask someone (me- or another makeup artist) which one to get- there are tons of different pumps/engines- some are great- some stink.

If you do decide to take the plunge- an idea-you can offset your expenses-and do creative character painting around halloween!
(I once sprayed a girl into the same body makeup as "Mystique" (sp) from XMEN" that was intense! ha

fernande

Vendor
Thanks GG! that makeup was fun. I've always been obsessed with the aesthetic of the movie "blade runner"- I loved the proto future 40's noir thing- It still sticks with me in my personal fashion and I often do shoots and makeup to reflect that.
:eek:fftopic:
I don't do makeup much anymore- about 4 years ago I dived into doing costuming and wardrobe styling- but I've even kind *that* of put that on the back burner while I work on my shoe line (I've posted about it in another thread)

I do though- have lots of strange and sometimes very beneficial information regarding beauty products and techniques. I'm one of those people who when I get into something, I reaaaaallly get into it. I always loved makeup and clothing's transformational effects. I've posted some pictures of my "vintage mom"- She was amazing to stress to me at a younge age- that some of the world's most "beautiful" iconic women were "made" beauties, who knew their best features, knew how to dimish their less becoming ones- It really had a profound affect on me to feel like I could be as "glamourous" as I wanted to be- I just had to master a few "techniques"
(lashes lashes lashes, pouty lips, ect)
Ha!
I'm sure all of us girls have gotten a few helpful tips from Mom or Grandma!

Tourbillion

Practically Family
I don't have an airbrush myself, but I know makeup artists that use them.

It does look really nice, but it makes a mess, my friends had to make a rule that makeup artists using airbrush makeup in their loft have to put paper down first--even if they weren't doing body makeup.

Anyway, Fernande, where is the shop with the less expensive brands? NY, LA or online??? (Not that I need any more "stuff" mind you)

katiemakeup

Practically Family
I don't care for it on the face, I think makeup on skin should look touchable and youthful and airbrush doesn't give you that, plus it's difficult to control and blend. It's nice for body or for character/performance work.

anabolina

A-List Customer
Wow, this airbrush makeup sounds nice. It kinda reminds me of that Sally Hansen version for us cheapskates. If anyone is interested I loved it, it had good coverage and a smooth, almost natural finish, but there isn't much color selection. The 'colorless' isn't and its kinda dark and orange. The whole range is pretty dark, unfortunately. Oh well, I like my MMU.

fernande

Vendor
Tour-
sorry for replying to you so late.
I'm going to ask my friend Tamar- she's the "spray tanner to the staahs"
and bops around from brownstone to brownstone here manhattan with her airbrush machine.
I know she just got a new one- I'll ask her. I've only used them on an occasional basis-
- but really, as Katiemakeup said too-
unless you are doing body gleaming, bronzing, cover up work, bikini modeling, ect-
or want to do makeup ala' BLADE RUNNER-

I don't really think an airbrush is necessary-
I think the whole "airbrush for weddings' things is a just yet another gimmick preying on stressed out brides-
a proper makeup artist should be able to do beautiful work on the face- without a spray gun.

Stephy Wilecat

New in Town
I'm sure it works a treat, but a few years ago there was an makeup airbrush scam where this company (the kind that appear on shopping channels) sold airbrushes used to decorate cakes as makeup airbrushes!
Women all over were confused as to why the makeup caked around each individual hair, making each visible hahaha.

Is the airbrush discreet or does it make whirring sound?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points