Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Bushman

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I was getting out some of my fall vests Sunday afternoon and found out how great the Bushman goes with them.

I can see it's going to get a lot of use with vests and chamois shirts.

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
OK, here's some new pics of my now almost 4 yo Bushman in daylight and showing the Nulabor Tan as it looks in daylight.

19870006-1.jpg

19870007-1.jpg

19870008.jpg

Now let's see some other folks Bushman's :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Wearing the Bushman today and I believe it's the first time I combined it with shirt and tie.

I think it goes well. In fact, I believe I've got a couple of tweed jackets it will get paired with this fall.

It's not quite as dressy as the Squatter, but in a world where they advertise that baseball caps are now available with a specially-designed flat bill ????? having a wide brim and narrow ribbon is of little consequence!

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Had an interesting lunch at a local BBQ place the other day. I was wearing my Bushman and heard an Aussie accent say "... nice Drover mate" and looked up to see an older weatherbeaten face looking at my Bushman from under a dark brown pinched creased telescoped crown wide brimmed hat as he passed by me to his table. ( Iwas wearing my hat inside as there were 4 of us in the booth and we tend to keep our hats on in BBQ joints :) ) I looked around and wen't over to him and introduced myself and he did tio me and we started talking about our hats. Seems what is now sold as the Bushman by DM was sold in OZ as the Drover back in the 60's/70's ! It was a darker Brown and had no lining but did have a tip sticker in the crown. He's had his since '69 and been over here in Texas since 1980. I went on the 'net tonight and found one that sold back in April. He's the only other person I've met around here wearing an Akubra in the past 30+ years since I got my first one! Was neat that he had a version similar to my hat .
I contacted David Morgan about this model to see if it was an earlier version of the Bushman and this is what he wrote back : " The Drover and the Bushman are not the same hats. The Drover was its own style with a wider brim of 3 5/8 inches versus 3 ¼ inches for the Bushman. I’m not sure about the crown heights but if I remember correctly, when unshaped, the Bushman crown was a little more box-like where the Drover’s crown was more domed. We were selling the Drover as early as 1973 and perhaps earlier. David and his wife Dorothy cannot recall exactly when they brought it into the U.S. "
So it looks like there was a similar version to the Bushman out there and would be interesting if any members here have this model. Here's some pics of the Drover I found:

KGrHqYOKpME4vNKly3BOUygok9q48_31.jpg

KGrHqYOKiIE4qHsQCinBOUygzDH48_31.jpg

KGrHqIOKo8E4iUW6HUiBOUyhJD1lQ48_31.jpg

KGrHqYOKocE4eURIS1BOUyggku3g48_31.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
MB:

Similar, but I still think I like the looks of the Bushman the best.

I bet it's among the most traditional of all the Akubras.

I know I'm crazy about mine and get a lot of compliments ... and at my age, believe me, it's for the hat!

Sam

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Here's my Bushman. I like to wear it when I hike. I keep it in my car almost year round, so I'll have it handy. The heat abuses it, makes it shrink. I've reblocked it my self 3 times on a vintage wood block. It just keeps on tickin'. It's my don't-care-what-happens hat, yet it still looks good. Regards, F_M
IMG_5017c.jpg

Duper

Practically Family
Here's my Bushman. I like to wear it when I hike. I keep it in my car almost year round, so I'll have it handy. The heat abuses it, makes it shrink. I've reblocked it my self 3 times on a vintage wood block. It just keeps on tickin'. It's my don't-care-what-happens hat, yet it still looks good. Regards, F_M
IMG_5017c.jpg

Nice looking hat and it suits you. And I'll bet you care about that hat more than you think! :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
IMG_5017c.jpg

It's good to see another Bushman here !! Sadly, it's not well liked on this Forum, but I think it's one of the BEST models Akubra make :) It looks great on ya!!

Orangegrad

Practically Family
IMG_5017c.jpg

I agree, this looks very good on you. And just the right location for this style of hat.

I really want to pull the trigger on a thin ribbon. But every time I try one on, it just doesn't look right on me.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I love my thin ribbons. Of course, I love my medium and wide ribbons as well! One thing I like about the Bushman is it has a wide brim, and you can see in the pic my eyes are shaded. Plus, it has a fairly tall crown, and an open crown. I sat on it one time, and just punched the crown back out and creased it. I gotta have a pretty tall crown and 2.5" brim or wider, or a hat looks like a pencil eraser on my lanky 6'3" frame!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I love my thin ribbons. Of course, I love my medium and wide ribbons as well! One thing I like about the Bushman is it has a wide brim, and you can see in the pic my eyes are shaded. Plus, it has a fairly tall crown, and an open crown. I sat on it one time, and just punched the crown back out and creased it. I gotta have a pretty tall crown and 2.5" brim or wider, or a hat looks like a pencil eraser on my lanky 6'3" frame!

You're correct about the wide brim, 3 1/4" :) A nice tall straight crown to go with it as well !! And a great go with just about anything color as well which is unique to this model only !! Have you taken a look at the Squatter that DM sells? It has the same style and size of crown, and a 3" bound brim. It's slightly different than the OZ model and sadly DM only offers it in two colors now though the Mid Fawn is another very versitile color.
My Bushman
19870008.jpg

DM's Mid Fawn Squatter
19870019.jpg

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
I have 3 squatters.2 from DM and a green one from HD. I like to put a very minimum center dent with a front pinch on my squatters. Maximizes the crown height and makes it easy to bash. Great hats!

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
I spent some time today going thru all the past CD threads and found this interesting info about the Bushman! In thread #402 ( of the CD threads) s member from Melbourne posted up some scans of an R.M. Williams catalog from the 1950's that showed both the Bushman AND the Drover and it states that they are THE SAME hat just with a different plaited Kangaroo band on the Drover. Both are listed as having the same brim width and BOTH were NOT bound brims at that time and both came in the SAME two colors ! And the Bushman came with a "... wide ribbon band." I wonder what shade of grey a "Gothic Grey" was ?

img3421.jpg

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Very cool, MB.

Gothic Gray?

I'll take one!

This past weekend I went to work on my new Kokoda and didn't let it go until it "agreed" to submit to a Bushman style brim.
It was a lot of work, but well worth it.
The Kokoda crown isn't quite as tall, but similar, so I ended up with a light tax "Bushman" and I really like the way it turned out.

Sam

racuda

New in Town
Since this seems to be the only dedicated Bushman thread I decided to resurrect it.

This hat perfectly suits my casual, rural lifestyle. The 3.25 inch brim gives my pale skin lots of protection from the sun. Wearing it in the rain is like wearing an umbrella on my head. I think that the proportions of the hat are right for my longish oval face. The color goes with the mostly earth tones that I wear. What more could I ask for?
Akubra-Bushman.jpg

Gromulus

Practically Family
Since this seems to be the only dedicated Bushman thread I decided to resurrect it.

This hat perfectly suits my casual, rural lifestyle. The 3.25 inch brim gives my pale skin lots of protection from the sun. Wearing it in the rain is like wearing an umbrella on my head. I think that the proportions of the hat are right for my longish oval face. The color goes with the mostly earth tones that I wear. What more could I ask for?
View attachment 25519

I think the Bushman looks great on you Randall.

It is my favorite casual hat as well for general outdoor wear. I wear mine when camping, hiking, and most all outdoor activities. Similar to the Campdraft with a slightly larger brim, the proportions just seem so balanced and the Nullabor tan color is very versatile.

I don't recall seeing them on Akubra's website as of late, although David Morgan here in the states still carries them.

racuda

New in Town
I got mine from The Bluewater Group. Since it has the two grommets for a chin strap I assume it came from David Morgan's stock. It was about $20 less than DM sells them for.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy