Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft Taupe Fawn 59 for sale

deadhead

New in Town
Folks,

I have a 59cm Campdraft in Taupe Fawn that's simply too big for me. It arrived Christmas Eve from Australia. Earlier this year, I had purchased a 59 Fed IV and it fits nearly perfectly, so I ordered the Campdraft in 59 as well. Imagine my disappointment, sitting in front of the Christmas Tree.

I measured my 59 Fed IV a few minutes ago, and a cloth tape measure has it at 58.5cm. The 59 Campdraft measured an even 59cm. I guess I need a 58 in a Campdraft.

The post office wants $37 to send it back to The Hattery WITHOUT a tracking number. I was wondering if anyone might be interested. Not looking to make a profit--I paid 141.60 Australian with shipping. Comes out to $96.50. If someone will give me an even hundred, I'll make up whatever extra shipping costs there might be to the continental US, WITH a tracking number. It's in the original box with the original packing. I have pics, but have never used Photobucket or the like. Please PM me.

This sale needs to be final. I want to order its replacement soonest. I'd keep it if it fit. I need a brown fedora, and I even like the thin ribbon. It's new, only put on my cranium once. No tear stains. Honest.

Thanks much and Happy New Year,

deadhead

kaosharper1

One Too Many
There are a lot of threads on shrinking hats. If its only a half a centemeter wetting the felt inside the band and using a hair dryer will probably do the trick.

deadhead said:
Folks,

I have a 59cm Campdraft in Taupe Fawn that's simply too big for me. It arrived Christmas Eve from Australia. Earlier this year, I had purchased a 59 Fed IV and it fits nearly perfectly, so I ordered the Campdraft in 59 as well. Imagine my disappointment, sitting in front of the Christmas Tree.

I measured my 59 Fed IV a few minutes ago, and a cloth tape measure has it at 58.5cm. The 59 Campdraft measured an even 59cm. I guess I need a 58 in a Campdraft.

The post office wants $37 to send it back to The Hattery WITHOUT a tracking number. I was wondering if anyone might be interested. Not looking to make a profit--I paid 141.60 Australian with shipping. Comes out to $96.50. If someone will give me an even hundred, I'll make up whatever extra shipping costs there might be to the continental US, WITH a tracking number. It's in the original box with the original packing. I have pics, but have never used Photobucket or the like. Please PM me.

This sale needs to be final. I want to order its replacement soonest. I'd keep it if it fit. I need a brown fedora, and I even like the thin ribbon. It's new, only put on my cranium once. No tear stains. Honest.

Thanks much and Happy New Year,

deadhead
Good luck. I ordered one in Nov for $108.52 AUD including shipping which with exchange rates puts it at $70 US, then another in Dec that came to $73.25 US. Not saying it ain't worth the C-note to somebody who doesn't want to wait, but AUD exchange rate is in our favor it seems.
Have you considered giving it a good soaking, especially the sweatband & letting it dry? That usually tightens one up a bit & could bring it right to your actual size, either that or some sizing strips in sweatband. The way my head sweats, I'd prefer to start out a little larger & have the hat come back to me... gtd

deadhead

New in Town
INCLUDING shipping? Hmmmmm. I shopped around and was happy with my price, so that rate was not available when I ordered. I'd be willing to bargain, trade, whathaveyou if someone wanted to make an offer. I just wanted to explore the idea of selling it outright rather than paying the return shipping.

This should probably be in another forum, but here goes...

I'm a novice fedora wearer. The Air Force required me to wear a hat for about 25 years. I rarely wore a hat otherwise, unless it was cold. But now I need something on my cranium in the winter that I can wear with a suit to work. Hence my presence here.

Being a novice, take what I say with a grain of salt. These are just my unedumicated observations. The Campdraft seems to have a more rounded crown--a nearly round noggin cavity. The Fed IV seemed to have a slightly oval shape when new--can't swear to that now. Even though we're just talking 1/2 centimeter, I can slip both my thumbs under the brim simultaneously at my temples with the Campdraft. Couldn't do that with the Fed IV. The Fed is comfortable without any padding (although a dollar bill on each side might not hurt anything), and if I pull it down in back, it stays on my head in the wind. The Campdraft fits pretty well front and back. In fact, it may even be just a little tighter front and back than the Fed IV, which would make sense if I'm right about it being more round to begin with. I've been told I'm a long oval anyway. Is it simply possible that the way the Campdraft is blocked is not optimum for the shape of my skull? I'd be willing to try shrinking it, if I thought I had a reasonable chance of success. I've got a small clothes steamer, if that would help.

Or, of course, I could be completely wrong about everything I just typed.

deadhead

You may get better response in the Hats category & not the classified. There are lots of Campdraft fans plus those with multiple Akubra styles. I'm a long oval if not extra long oval myself, so most modern blocked hats that I get go into a Hat Jack to elongate. They all seem to be more round than older ones & no longer do the long oval ones. Best of luck, again... gtd

toobacat

One of the Regulars
Akubras do shrink. My Campdraft was way too big when I first got it, but now it fits pretty well.

Roadrunner

One of the Regulars
It will shrink. Give it a week or two of wear before you give up. I got a Stetson reworked by Optimo and it came back at least half a centimeter too big around. After a little wear and work at shrinking it fits perfectly. Akubra sweatbands have a greater tendency to shrink than that one did too, so you should be all right.

deadhead

New in Town
Gents,

Thanks for all the advice and kind words. Just remember, once I try any of these suggestions, the hat is mine. If the advice works, all the better for me since I like this particular Campdraft. If it doesn't... I'll be back here trying to sell it to someone that it WILL fit. Thought I'd just start out that way.

deadhead

deadhead

New in Town
Okay, it's mine

Folks,

Thanks to you, and Ron from Hats Direct. I tried the water trick, and the hat now fits fine. Looks great with my overcoat.

deadhead

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo