Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

Mm25

One Too Many
Heritage Moonstone Campdraft.

I think I have a high crowned head to go with my large hat size & I like to wear my hats level & just off the ear tops. That makes it hard to have deep dents unless the hat is extra tall with a Cattleman crease of something. So I might have to work a bit more setting the dents but overall I am happy with the lines of the hat & the outcome.

9bd3iq.jpg

1j56ix.jpg

2crrfyv.jpg

pu6br.jpg

v3gm0i.jpg

hsp2lc.jpg

2lt68tl.jpg

m7xhsk.jpg
Jack, That is killer! Looking forward to head shots!

ryan_289

Familiar Face
My brim snapped back up 3-4 times wearing it around the house that first day. It's all good now, didn't need to steam it to get it to level like I wanted.

When I snap it down it does a funny little swoop. It snaps down at the sides but the front dips down and tries to curl back up at the end of the brim. Not sure if that makes sense or not?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
My Taupe Fawn Campdraft was ridiculously stiff when I received it. It took a couple of years, but it did get softer.

Keep working with it, it will eventually get the idea. And if it doesn't, you can use water or steam to convince it to take the shape you want.

"Sizing" at Akubra appears to be more art than science. I have three Fed IVs and three Campdrafts; they're all allegedly the same size, but the Campdrafts feel like they're about half a size smaller than the Feds. *shrug*
Weird, but my CD's feel a half-size larger than my Feds (double-shrug).

Rogera

My Mail is Forwarded Here

I think I have a high crowned head to go with my large hat size & I like to wear my hats level & just off the ear tops. That makes it hard to have deep dents unless the hat is extra tall with a Cattleman crease of something. So I might have to work a bit more setting the dents but overall I am happy with the lines of the hat & the outcome.

9bd3iq.jpg

1j56ix.jpg

2crrfyv.jpg

pu6br.jpg

v3gm0i.jpg

hsp2lc.jpg

2lt68tl.jpg

m7xhsk.jpg
Oh yeah that looks sharp! That's a great rake you got going there!

When I snap it down it does a funny little swoop. It snaps down at the sides but the front dips down and tries to curl back up at the end of the brim. Not sure if that makes sense or not?
Mine kind of wanted to do that too but I was able to flatten the cup out with just the palm of my hand against a flat surface. It took a couple of times to get it to stay just like it did with snapping up.

9bd3iq.jpg

1j56ix.jpg

2crrfyv.jpg

pu6br.jpg

v3gm0i.jpg

hsp2lc.jpg

2lt68tl.jpg

m7xhsk.jpg

I don't own a CD or any Akubra for that matter, HJ. This one and what you've done with it may have just sold me.

This one and what you've done with it may have just sold me.

... amazing the power of a well shaped hat
Thank you guys. For me personally I like the specs & looks of the CD & thin ribbon. I'd like to see a CD offered in Bran or Cornhill, maybe Sage. From what I can tell the new Cedar Brown looks very close to my mid-brown for me to want one, so I guess I'm done for now.

And I much prefer the quality of the Akubra CD over that of the modern Stetson OR.

RJR

Thank you guys. For me personally I like the specs & looks of the CD & thin ribbon. I'd like to see a CD offered in Bran or Cornhill, maybe Sage. From what I can tell the new Cedar Brown looks very close to my mid-brown for me to want one, so I guess I'm done for now.

And I much prefer the quality of the Akubra CD over that of the modern Stetson OR.
Yes,even with the issues that have been discussed I find the CD to be my preference.

Mark53

New in Town

9bd3iq.jpg

1j56ix.jpg

2crrfyv.jpg

pu6br.jpg

v3gm0i.jpg

hsp2lc.jpg

2lt68tl.jpg

m7xhsk.jpg
Very nice hat. I particularly like the very untapered crown. I have only one Camp Draft like that (Glen Grey, my favorite) The rest all show at least some taper to the crown.

My Taupe Fawn CD does the same thing. I've tried to "correct" it more than a few times without success, and just learned to live with it.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Hi Zombie,

I just use my regular (instant) coffee pot with distilled water. I shape a "spout" with heavy duty aluminum foil and form it over the pot. This allows me to direct the steam in a narrow stream.
Using distilled water to steam is not really necessary

by vaporizing any water via a heat source you are basically in turn distilling it

If you are spraying water directly on a hat distilled could be wise ... but not necessary when steaming

Last edited:
Using distilled water to steam is not really necessary

by vaporizing any water via a heat source you are basically in turn distilling it

If you are spraying water directly on a hat distilled could be wise ... but not necessary when steaming

The reason distilled water is used in steaming is not for the hat, but to reduce mineral build up in the device, depending on the quality of water in your area. If you're on a well, I recommend it. If you're on "city water," it's likely not necessary.

If you're on Flint, MI, water, run like hell.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner