Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Campdraft

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
Thank you kindly to Mr T Jones, Mr Woodtroll and Mr Scooterz!

I appreciate the helpful, encouraging comments and information.

I do “perform” my “own due diligence prior to purchasing” a hat. There’s only so much you can grasp through pictures, written word and item descriptions.

I’ve always been of the mind state that it’s best to hold an item in your hand and try it on first and foremost. With a hat sold only in Australia (I’m in Boston, USA) that option isn’t available.

Call me crazy but the way I see it, the next best thing would be to reach out to folks familiar with the hat. Those who have direct experience with it.

I figured a site named “The Fedora Lounge” was as good a place to start as any. Aren’t I a loon?!

Cheers

Bigg, we all are a bit loony. Don’t take it personal. This site is for people who love hats and things from the golden era. I think you’ll really like the Campdraft. I’m waiting on two Akubras as of this post so I understand your need for information. This site is composed of years of threads and finding the answer to a particular question can at times be daunting. When I cans find an answer I ask, so I believe you’re good. Enjoyment of hats and fellowship with people that feel the same way about hats is a good thing. So enjoy.

Steven

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thanks Bob!
So, I’m assuming the Campdraft runs true to size?
Your ringing endorsement is encouraging.

two questions,

1, how tall is the crown? I’m a bit anxious about it. It seems many lounge members prefer a tall crown. Not so much myself. The CD has many stellar reviews and I have no doubt it’s a quality item yet, I worry I’ll look as if I’m wearing a top hat. I want to avoid that!

2, how’s the color? How dark? As I’m sure you know, it can be hard to get a feel for it with online pictures alone. My dream come true would be a “Whiskey” color. That would be superb. A semi light, almost golden honey tan. A man can dream.

Cheers
I don't think there's ever been anyone on this site who didn't think the crown was too tall when they first started getting into hats, myself included. Just the other day I received my second Bluegrass Green Campdraft because I had made the crown too low when I first got it (it was my first tall-crowned hat), as I was experiencing the same fear that you are now. Over the past couple of years it began to seem "wrong" to me for the simple reason that it was. Also it was sitting on my scalp, which, as stated above, is annoying. Once a hat's retained a shape for several years it's pretty hard to change it. I'd listen to the advice you've been given above, as these guys have been into this for a long time. So has Akubra, who've been making this style since about WW II, if I remember correctly. Simply Google "Akubra Campdraft" and "Images" if you want to see how they look when being worn.
If you want to see the colors, just Google the company and look at any of the vendors. The Cedar Brown is very dark: it sounds to me that what you're after is something closer to the Tawny Fawn.
Best of luck, and enjoy the ride.

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Bigg, we all are a bit loony. Don’t take it personal. This site is for people who love hats and things from the golden era. I think you’ll really like the Campdraft. I’m waiting on two Akubras as of this post so I understand your need for information. This site is composed of years of threads and finding the answer to a particular question can at times be daunting. When I cans find an answer I ask, so I believe you’re good. Enjoyment of hats and fellowship with people that feel the same way about hats is a good thing. So enjoy.

Steven
Thank you Sir. Hats truly are wonderful. I feel somehow it’s in a man’s genetic makeup (with all do respect to lady folk) to want to cover our heads. It must have something to do with primal instinct.
Cheers

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
I don't think there's ever been anyone on this site who didn't think the crown was too tall when they first started getting into hats, myself included. Just the other day I received my second Bluegrass Green Campdraft because I had made the crown too low when I first got it (it was my first tall-crowned hat), as I was experiencing the same fear that you are now. Over the past couple of years it began to seem "wrong" to me for the simple reason that it was. Also it was sitting on my scalp, which, as stated above, is annoying. Once a hat's retained a shape for several years it's pretty hard to change it. I'd listen to the advice you've been given above, as these guys have been into this for a long time. So has Akubra, who've been making this style since about WW II, if I remember correctly. Simply Google "Akubra Campdraft" and "Images" if you want to see how they look when being worn.
If you want to see the colors, just Google the company and look at any of the vendors. The Cedar Brown is very dark: it sounds to me that what you're after is something closer to the Tawny Fawn.
Best of luck, and enjoy the ride.
Thank you kindly Sir,
I was just now thinking (as I looked online at pictures) that I may want to go with a Taupe Fawn CD. Problem is, I’m slightly colorblind and colors that tend to give off different “shades” if you will, present a particular challenge for me personally. I don’t want any hints of green and it’s difficult for me to tell if the Taupe Fawn displays any?

Cheers

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Thank you kindly Sir,
I was just now thinking (as I looked online at pictures) that I may want to go with a Taupe Fawn CD. Problem is, I’m slightly colorblind and colors that tend to give off different “shades” if you will, present a particular challenge for me personally. I don’t want any hints of green and it’s difficult for me to tell if the Taupe Fawn displays any?

Cheers
Excuse me, I meant the Taupe Fawn. I don't believe there's any green in that color, but I can let you know for sure in a day or so as I'm expecting one as I write. If you have any specific questions, you can call or email HatsDirect: the ladies there are very nice and helpful.

Woodtroll

One Too Many
Thank you kindly Sir,

Cheers

The Campdraft I have is about two years old and is Tawny Fawn, which does seem to be a true taupe color - not completely tan, not completely gray. The Heritage Fawn on my Banjo Paterson to my eye is a little darker, but not much. Neither has any hint of green to my eye.

A few years ago, Akubra's brown/gray colors were "Taupe Tawny", "Fawn", "Regency Fawn", and "Deep Fawn". I think they only do the two Fawn colors now (Tawny and Regency), but the name changes and color shifts can be confusing if you're talking about hats that are, say, ten years apart in age. Here's a link to an older color chart that shows what I mean:

Akubra Heritage Fawn vs Tawny Fawn

You're starting to see what kind of vortex you can get sucked into - approach at your own risk! ;)

Good luck!
Regan

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
Hi. I really like all the photos of the Campdraft and I've decided I "need" one.

But I just can't decide which colour to get (first). I really like fawn hats. I have a Banjo Paterson (custom modified with a CD ribbon and rebashed it a few times) in Heritage Fawn, Fed IV Deluxe in Heritage Fawn and Hampton in both Cedar Brown and Regency Fawn.

How light is Silverbelly? Is it closer light grey or beige?

Your advice would be very welcome...
Hello,
Not sure how this works... asking a question on a thread that’s 4 years old. I’m new here and not too tech savvy to say the least. I’m looking to purchase my first Campdraft and I’m leaning toward a Taupe Fawn but I’m slightly colorblind and I can’t tell if it has a green tint to it? Not sure if you have any idea or not but any info would be highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Hello,
Not sure how this works... asking a question on a thread that’s 4 years old. I’m new here and not too tech savvy to say the least. I’m looking to purchase my first Campdraft and I’m leaning toward a Taupe Fawn but I’m slightly colorblind and I can’t tell if it has a green tint to it? Not sure if you have any idea or not but any info would be highly appreciated!

Cheers!

Yeah there's a green tint, its like a green taupe type color IMHO

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
Sorry, I have to disagree, I don't see any green in my Taupe Fawn Campdraft.

Now the old Federation III in "Mid-Brown" that I used to have... that shade had a major green undertone - it actually looked green rather than brown in some lighting situations. Green isn't a color I wear, I literally don't own anything green apart from a couple of OD army jackets. Which was one of the main reasons I sold that Fed III and replaced it with the Taupe Fawn Campdraft: to my eye, it matches my browns/tans/khakis much better.

Three selfies of the Taupe Fawn - under fluorescent light, open shade, full sun. Campdraft+3-fluor.jpg Campdraft1.jpg Campdraft3.jpg

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Thank you kindly to Mr T Jones, Mr Woodtroll and Mr Scooterz!

I appreciate the helpful, encouraging comments and information.

I do “perform” my “own due diligence prior to purchasing” a hat. There’s only so much you can grasp through pictures, written word and item descriptions.

I’ve always been of the mind state that it’s best to hold an item in your hand and try it on first and foremost. With a hat sold only in Australia (I’m in Boston, USA) that option isn’t available.

Call me crazy but the way I see it, the next best thing would be to reach out to folks familiar with the hat. Those who have direct experience with it.

I figured a site named “The Fedora Lounge” was as good a place to start as any. Aren’t I a loon?!

Cheers
I completely agree with the notion of being able to handle a hat before purchasing it. Every hat that I own was ordered without being able to handle it, and every time I was worried how it would turn out. It can be a bit nerve racking spending that kind of hard earned money on something you haven't touched or been able to try on. What one hat looks like on one person can look completely different on somebody else with a different hat size or facial dimensions. It's always good to know your head dimensions and it never hurts to try one on somewhere even if you have no intention of buying it. It helps to get a feel of how certain dimensions and styles look on you.

This place can be exhausting to navigate at times, especially when seeking out certain answers to questions that may or may not even exist. The search function helps, along with some personal investigation, but most folks around here are eager to help with questions that others may have. Hell, the topic of Akubra shrinkage has been ongoing since I've joined the lounge, and I've yet to see someone get scolded for asking about it. You've come to a good place!

BIGG SHOW

Familiar Face
I completely agree with the notion of being able to handle a hat before purchasing it. Every hat that I own was ordered without being able to handle it, and every time I was worried how it would turn out. It can be a bit nerve racking spending that kind of hard earned money on something you haven't touched or been able to try on. What one hat looks like on one person can look completely different on somebody else with a different hat size or facial dimensions. It's always good to know your head dimensions and it never hurts to try one on somewhere even if you have no intention of buying it. It helps to get a feel of how certain dimensions and styles look on you.

This place can be exhausting to navigate at times, especially when seeking out certain answers to questions that may or may not even exist. The search function helps, along with some personal investigation, but most folks around here are eager to help with questions that others may have. Hell, the topic of Akubra shrinkage has been ongoing since I've joined the lounge, and I've yet to see someone get scolded for asking about it. You've come to a good place!
Thank you Sir
I appreciate the warm, encouraging words. On the topic of Akubra CD’s... do you know if the Taupe Fawn is green? Or “Greenish”? I’m slightly colorblind and it’s hard as h%*l to tell from online pictures alone. I want a more tan/saddle color if you will. I do not want a grassy green.
Cheers

Just A Hat Rack

Practically Family
Thank you Sir
I appreciate the warm, encouraging words. On the topic of Akubra CD’s... do you know if the Taupe Fawn is green? Or “Greenish”? I’m slightly colorblind and it’s hard as h%*l to tell from online pictures alone. I want a more tan/saddle color if you will. I do not want a grassy green.
Cheers
I personally cannot answer this question, as I do not own a Taupe Fawn colored Akubra. I only own one Akubra (the Lightning Ridge), and the color is called Heritage Fawn. I do not know if this color is the same as the Taupe, or if it is different. My heritage is mostly brown with hints of gray.

Thank you Sir. Hats truly are wonderful. I feel somehow it’s in a man’s genetic makeup (with all do respect to lady folk) to want to cover our heads. It must have something to do with primal instinct...
That, or male pattern baldness. o_O :D

...On the topic of Akubra CD’s... do you know if the Taupe Fawn is green? Or “Greenish”? I’m slightly colorblind and it’s hard as h%*l to tell from online pictures alone. I want a more tan/saddle color if you will. I do not want a grassy green...
I've never seen even a hint of green in my Taupe Fawn Campdraft, so I'm going to say it is not "greenish". However, it also isn't particularly a "tan/saddle" color. If anything, mine is brown with grayish undertones; a muted shade of brown.

Edit: Bigg Show asked to see a photo or two of my Campdrafts, so here 'tis:

kutDCB7.jpg

EeBQaOU.jpg

Hope this helps Bigg!

Last edited:

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
What do you guys think of this bash? The teardrop is rounder than I wanted but I found the hat surprisingly hard to shape. Hard in the sense that it wasn’t holding a bash with steam and I ended up dousing it with water from a spray bottle. So I’m not inclined to mess around with it too much at the moment.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.

Attachments

• A6557F16-47E9-4BC4-9D94-6D2B30DFA364.jpeg
    A6557F16-47E9-4BC4-9D94-6D2B30DFA364.jpeg
    789.6 KB · Views: 3,002
  • 6D72597F-4711-4F0A-9D41-7091AD91123E.jpeg
    6D72597F-4711-4F0A-9D41-7091AD91123E.jpeg
    905.4 KB · Views: 2,990

1967Cougar390

Practically Family
What do you guys think of this bash? The teardrop is rounder than I wanted but I found the hat surprisingly hard to shape. Hard in the sense that it wasn’t holding a bash with steam and I ended up dousing it with water from a spray bottle. So I’m not inclined to mess around with it too much at the moment.

I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.
I think it looks good. What color is your Campdraft?

Steven

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points