Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Fed for a non Indy fan.

D

dzacca

riccardo said:
...when I saw myself into the mirror I said : "no, this isn't my hat, the crown is too hight, too much straight sided..."after few hours I said "This is a lovely hat; I love the hight crown; I love the straigh sided crown."

Eheheheheh, that's exactly what I thought the first time I used the Fed DL :)

riccardo said:
p.s. I'm very happy to have met dzacca, here. A wonderful english speaker...he 'll help me talking (translating) my thread for you.
mmm....

Not as wonderful as you may think, by the way you are welcome.

Bye

MattJH

One Too Many
I'm also a non-Indy fan. Wait, that's not entirely true -- I think the movies are great, but I've no intent on emulating Indiana's look at all. I'm into the casual thing. I like fedoras I can wear anywhere without it looking "dressy," so to speak.

Is the Federation a hat you can wear with jeans and not look ridiculous? Is it possible to look casual with a 6 inch crown? If I give it a non-Indy bash, will it look distinctly non-Indy? Are they true to size? I'm 63cm (or 7 7/8) in my Tilleys and I'm a 7 3/4 in fitted Reebok caps (big Eagles fan!).

Also, may I ask for comparisons between the materials used in the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? Is it worth the extra $50?

In another thread, I'm asking about the Akubra open-crowned Sydney, but everyone's always talking up the Federations so much that I'm wondering if I'd be making a mistake. I'm not in a monetary situation where I can get one of each.

EvilDmitri

New in Town
Dumbjaw said:
I'm also a non-Indy fan. Wait, that's not entirely true -- I think the movies are great, but I've no intent on emulating Indiana's look at all. I'm into the casual thing. I like fedoras I can wear anywhere without it looking "dressy," so to speak.

Is the Federation a hat you can wear with jeans and not look ridiculous? Is it possible to look casual with a 6 inch crown? If I give it a non-Indy bash, will it look distinctly non-Indy? Are they true to size? I'm 63cm (or 7 7/8) in my Tilleys and I'm a 7 3/4 in fitted Reebok caps (big Eagles fan!).

Also, may I ask for comparisons between the materials used in the Federation and the Federation Deluxe? Is it worth the extra $50?

In another thread, I'm asking about the Akubra open-crowned Sydney, but everyone's always talking up the Federations so much that I'm wondering if I'd be making a mistake. I'm not in a monetary situation where I can get one of each.
I just got back from grocery shopping with my father, him wearing some cheap wool safari hat and myself wearing my standard federation, and there were plenty of looks to go around. The cashier tried to guess at where we were from and thought we were from the mid west.. he called it a cowboy hat. When I told him it was a fedora, he clearly had no idea what a fedora was >.<. I figured the bash I gave it would make it more casual; I was prepared for an 'indy' comment, but cowboy hat? Suprised me a bit.

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?t=15254

The pics there are what I was wearing and show the hat styling.. I thought I got it casual enough to wear around but now i'm not sure. I left the scarf in the truck of course.. though had I worn it I probably would have avoided the cowboy comment.

Edit - I also was debating the $50 extra, and since it was my first hat, decided to opt for the Standard. The quality is excellent, color is great, size was proper. I'm sure the Deluxe is better, but to an untrained eye I doubt the difference is discernable. It's a quality product either way you go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnmichael