Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Federation in my mind...

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Here is another choice !!

Steve Aka Fedora has a Rabbitt fedora for $150.00. If you want a Indy style hat you can't go wrong. If you want 100% beaver its $75.00 more. I have several and 1 is a Indy the others I ordered open crown. :)

Steve Delk email is.

sdelk@cableone.net

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
Akubra Federation - Im off the 12 Step Program

My Akubra Federation just arrived. Nice hat but I told my wife I was joining because I needed to get weaned from a hat addiction. So much for my 12 Step Program Membership.. Maybe I need a sponsor to attend meetings with me. I gave the hat a quick bash on top and flipped the brim down in front, a little steam and its all mine. A true original. Im going to the Stetson Hat outlet next week. Lets see if I can control my cravings. If not, I'll let you know about an Open Road that I do the same thing with. Until, then, I remain, addicted since the 1950's, Sincerely yours.

Vladimir Berkov

One Too Many
Does your new Fed have any taper at all?

Also how hard was it to bash it to the shape you wanted? I am seriously considering a Federation for my first fedora but am nervous about shaping the hat myself.

Prairie Shade

A-List Customer
In Shape at last

HI Vlad: No problem to shape AT ALL. Its a creative thing I guess. No taper to speak of, nice quality for the bucks. My 5th Akubra, and all have been work horses. Dont worry about the dents, they will become yours!!! Besides, dont like it? Start over, just be happy before you apply the steam. Takes about 5 minutes and you have your own hat, one of a kind. Actually, applies to any felt. Im going to buy a Stetson Open Road and make a fedora out of it or my name isnt __________.

indyjim

Familiar Face
scotrace said:
Another colo(u)r would be good since the gray was dropped. Any thoughts?
When did they drop the gray? I received one in December (my Christmas present to myself) It still is listed on the HatsDirect website.

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Both the Federation and the Fed Deluxe models were developed by HatsDirect and several Indygear.com folks several years ago as a 'next step' in the evolution of the Indy hat, while at the same time supplying folks with a source of fedora who were involved in the swing dance craze that was sweeping the world at the time. At that time, modifications were being performed on the then available featherweight Akubra Bushman models by individuals looking for that perfect Indy shaped hat...the featherweight Bushman is no longer available, by the way. After several changes, and LOTS of back and forth discussions were made, a prototype was produced, and showed up for review. Once approved by all concerned, a decision was made to name it in honor of the Australian Federation Centennial, circumventing any foreseeable problems with LucasFilm or like companies with an associated interest in the Indy hobby.

The Fed was first with it's non-dimensional brim cut. The Deluxe was next, about 6 months later, and it came with corrected ribbon width and bow shape, as well as dimensional cut of the brim. That particular prototype came out just before the first Queen Mary Indygear summit 4 years ago. The Feds that were coming out at the same time also began having the dimensional cut done to the brim. They all came open crowned, as they still do to this day.

Both are great fedoras, and workhorses. I'm still more partial to the comfort of the Deluxe, but the standard Fed seems to have a better body in terms of construction and overall strength.

Just a little history for you....

Regards. Michaelson

I am a new Federation IV wearer and really love it, so I was searching for a history of the Federation and found this great thread. I'd like to ask a few clarification questions if anybody has the time and knowledge to answer:

1. So the original Federation did not have a dimensional brim, is that correct? And it was only offered in imperial quality, with some complaints about the ribbon? Is this the hat we might call the 'FED I'?

2. Then Akubra introduced a deluxe version, with a new ribbon design and dimensional brim? Is that the hat that is referred to as the 'FED II' or is the FED II a totally different model?

I have not been able to find any photos of either of these hats.

3. The FED III had a dimensional brim with a larger crown than the current version, the FED IV? I've seen a few photos of this hat, but can't find any for sale (not that I'm shopping, just curious). Why the new model? What was Akubra's rationale here? Was it offered in both deluxe/heritage as well as imperial, or just one or the other? Also, it seems to be only found in brown, but that might just be the extant photos.

4. The FED IV seems to have been developed as a direct copy of the Last Crusade hat, and is the one I have. It is offered in both heritage and imperial quality and multiple colors. That much I'm fairly certain of.

Is this history correct or are there other details to the story?

Just wondering as a fan of the FED IV and a lover of history, if anybody out there knows.

Cheers,
Nathan

Doctor Strange

I'll Lock Up
The only thing I can add is that the Fed III had both a larger crown AND a larger brim. The brim was 2-7/8 x 2-3/4, vs. the Fed IV's 2-3/4 x 2-1/2.

I had one (standard Imperial felt), and ended up selling it because it always felt like too much hat for me. And - since we know there's variation in Akbura felt - I should point out that it never softened up, not in 12 years of exposure to rain and snow. It always felt more like a western or outback hat than a fedora. I replaced it with a Campdraft, which has similar dimensions but somehow doesn't feel too big.

I have a feeling I'm not the only one who thought the Fed III was too much hat, and that's part of the reason they reduced the dimensions for the Fed IV.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The Federation was a Special run hat developed for Indiana Jones fans. It was the brain child of Hatsdirect, Akubra and the fine people over on COW.

As more information about the Indiana Jones hat came to light over the years the hat changed to accommodate the new information/demands from the fans.

My first Federation was the first generation (around 2001). Wider round brim, tall boxy crown, matching brown ribbon and red liner. At this time they did not offer it in heritage felt. They did offer it in different colours back then though. A friend bough one in black.

Not sure about the second incarnation of the hat.

I currently have what would be considered the Federation deluxe III (2007 ish). It has dimensional cut brim, boxy crown, white liner and darker brown ribbon. It came in Black, dark brown and Moonstone grey in the imperial felt and only brown in the Deluxe.

The felt of my Federation III was green brown. With sun bleaching this had mellowed over the years. My original Federation had a lot of red undertones that never went away. I think that was the difference between the Imperial to heritage felt. Not the difference of the years of production.

The Federation IV was completely redesigned from previous versions. Around this time Indiana Jones 4 was Green lit. Steve Delk was involved in the Federation re design because at the time he made the best reproduction Indiana Jones hats on the market. Little did we know he had got the contract to make the hats for the movie. As far as I know even the crown shape changed with this version.

That’s the story I know.

Johnny

Nathaniel Finley

A-List Customer
Thanks for the answers guys. So none of us are certain exactly what hat the 'FED II' was? Best guess seems to be that it was the deluxe edition that came out about six months after the original, imperial quality version, but that has yet to be verified. It was stated on this thread that there were lasting changes (e.g. the dimensional brim) made to the hat when Katoomba introduced this first deluxe edition, so that would make sense.

Interestingly, Johnny - Steve Delk actually helped Akubra design the FED IV, knowing it would be a competing hat (he is Adventurbilt, right?)? Wow, that's love for the industry for you (or they made him an offer he couldn't refuse...?)?

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
The Adventurebilt hats were not really competition for the Feds. ABs were custom made to exacting standards, and at about three times the price for a rabbit felt hat, depending on the exchange rate, they attracted a different customer than the Feds did and do.

Also, Steve was a one man operation back then, and continually had his hands full producing hats.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Just for fun here is my Federation III and an Adventurebilt by Steve
f20f4c419984250ab7358fe699af7096.jpg
cafdcf3fa6a25f4ce23da93f113bdf59.jpg

Johnny

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm probably wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but as I understood it the "Federation I" was an attempt by Akubra to provide a more affordable hat that would satisfy Raiders of the Lost Ark fans who had neither the desire nor the finances to buy a custom-made "Raiders" hat, and the "Federation II" and "Federation III" were "improved" versions of the "Federation I" that were revised to be more accurate as new information and details about the "Raiders" hat became available. When interest in the franchise was renewed with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008, Akubra revised the hat again to be consistent with the slightly more conservative dimensions of the hat(s) Harrison Ford wore in that movie, and dubbed it the "Federation IV". Of course, this contradicts the disclaimers on The Hattery's website, but I'm sure we all know the reason(s) for those.

RJR

I'm probably wrong (and someone please correct me if I am), but as I understood it the "Federation I" was an attempt by Akubra to provide a more affordable hat that would satisfy Raiders of the Lost Ark fans who had neither the desire nor the finances to buy a custom-made "Raiders" hat, and the "Federation II" and "Federation III" were "improved" versions of the "Federation I" that were revised to be more accurate as new information and details about the "Raiders" hat became available. When interest in the franchise was renewed with the release of Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull in 2008, Akubra revised the hat again to be consistent with the slightly more conservative dimensions of the hat(s) Harrison Ford wore in that movie, and dubbed it the "Federation IV". Of course, this contradicts the disclaimers on The Hattery's website, but I'm sure we all know the reason(s) for those.
My understanding as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy