Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hat with a bit bigger brim and crown than their Campdraft?

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
Bluewater Group is the same as Kakadu Trader.
Call them and ask them whether they have the style and size that you want in stock or, if not, then when they expect to get it.
From my experience, they'll be truthful about it.
The same is true of The Cultured Cowboy.

The Akubra Adventurer sold by American retailers is not the same hat as the Akubra Adventurer sold by Australian retailers.
The dimensions of my American Akubra Adventurer are 3-1/8" x 2-3/4" wide dimensional brim with a 5-5/8" tall open crown.
Both the American and Australian Akubra Adventurer hats have unbound raw edge brims.
My American Akubra Adventurer is also made of the lightest and thinnest felt of any of my Akubra hats. It weighs quite a bit less than the others at 4.8 oz., and is the only Akubra that I have the brim of which bends in the wind.

The Akubra Bushman doesn't really have any vent holes as such.
Those very small grommets are the chinstrap attachment hooks, and I have used them to attach an Akubra Slouch hat chinstrap to my tan colored Akubra Bushman.
The Akubra Bushman hat has a ribbon bound edge brim.

The Akubra Bushman and Akubra Amercian version Adventurer hats are only available from American retailers and not from Australian ones.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
I also like the Akubra Coober Pedy among Akubra hats with circa 3" wide brims.
It has a 3-1/4" downturn brim with a pre-creased crown that is tall enough so as not to touch the top of my head, something that is not true of most other Akubra hats.
An important thing to note about the Coober Pedy is that Everything Australian's photograph of the Coober Pedy in the Santone Fawn color is completely wrong.
The hat is definitely not brownish/tan in color. It is most adamantly a medium/light shade of olive green, as seen in Akubra's color charts and the photographs of all other retailers that I have seen, except Everything Australian. I queried Sam Menche of Everything Australian regarding this and he assured me that the Santone Fawn Coober Pedy hat was a brownish/tan color, apparently relying on the accuracy of the photograph on his website. He was quite mistaken. The Santone Fawn Coober Pedy that I received from him was a medium/light olive green color.

The American and Australian version Coober Pedy hats are slightly different.
The Amercian version has a thin fabric ribbon hatband while the Australian version has a thin kangaroo leather hatband with an opal.
Both of these hats have ribbon bound edge brims.

Last edited:

JackieMatra

A-List Customer
It doesn't say so on the Everything Australian website, but they'll throw in a free thin chinstrap that can be threaded through the vent holes of vented Akubra hats if you request it.
I got them for my Cattleman and Coober Pedy that I bought from them (with no waiting period), although they didn't send me the color chinstraps that I asked for and they said that they had, but it wasn't a problem as they were close enough in color to match the hats anyway.

Last edited:

TPD166

One Too Many
My Bushman, even though not in stock when I ordered it, arrived yesterday - exactly one week after I ordered it. As everything I read said "it's a lot of hat" - even better than I expected. I would highly recommend this hat and may order another one in Moonstone. It creased easily and came out great - I will post pics later.

Motorcyclist

Familiar Face
Sort of a followup on JackieMatra's post above... Regarding the coober pedy and the colors.. Hats by the 100 has done a couple of good videos out on youtube that show you the colors pretty well. When watching those I realized how much I liked the Santone Fawn color. I think that might be next on my list. Just search 'Akubra Coober Pedy' on youtube and they should show up at the top of the list.

TPD166

One Too Many
Here is my new Akubra Bushman, as it arrived and with a new crease and hatband. Very happy with this hat and I am looking forward cooler weather (107 is expected today) for more regular wear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot