Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra hats Softness

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Hello and happy Saturday to you all...

I used to post on here—been away for about a year. I own an Akubra Open Crown Fedora in dark brown. This thing is spectacular. The felt is buttery soft. I also bought an Akubra Hampton and while it's nice, the felt is stiff and not quite as soft. Is this just because the Fedora is an Open Crown, and thus crushable? Or is one “Heritage” and one “Imperial” grade

One last question, I would do anything for the “Fedora” in Silverbelly. Is there any direct email to the Abubra company that anyone knows of?

Thank you!!! Good to be back.

Hello and happy Saturday to you all...

I used to post on here—been away for about a year. I own an Akubra Open Crown Fedora in dark brown. This thing is spectacular. The felt is buttery soft. I also bought an Akubra Hampton and while it's nice, the felt is stiff and not quite as soft. Is this just because the Fedora is an Open Crown, and thus crushable? Or is one “Heritage” and one “Imperial” grade

One last question, I would do anything for the “Fedora” in Silverbelly. Is there any direct email to the Abubra company that anyone knows of?

Thank you!!! Good to be back.

I don't mean to avoid the question, but open crown does not equate to crushable. In my opinion, no fur felt hats are "crushable." Some are "rollable" but that's not the same.

New hats that come with a crease pressed in by the factory also have stiffeners added. Hats made open crown don't the same quantity of stiffeners.

I can't address your question about the Akubra Fedora. Akubra is a large manufacturer and I don't think they'll make you a custom color. Do check all the retailers as colors and styles are sometimes unique to certain stores. I will add that the perennial favorite Akubra here on the Lounge is the Campdraft and it does come open crown and in Silverbelly. Good luck.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
Thank you! I’m still very much an amateur here. I like the campdraft but I fear the brim is way too large for my face. Their Fedora is perfect. And I just did more research. They’re both “Imperial” quality—-the Fedora, is apparently thinner, which makes more sense that it’s more pliable.

Thank you! I’m still very much an amateur here. I like the campdraft but I fear the brim is way too large for my face. Their Fedora is perfect. And I just did more research. They’re both “Imperial” quality—-the Fedora, is apparently thinner, which makes more sense that it’s more pliable.

It's very common that be a bit intimidated with the larger brims and higher crowns. All I can say is that if you give them a try (couple of months) I bet you'll like those bigger brims. What initially looks huge will come to look normal. They also give better sun protection and for me that is a huge concern.

Paul Trumbull

Familiar Face
It's very common that be a bit intimidated with the larger brims and higher crowns. All I can say is that if you give them a try (couple of months) I bet you'll like those bigger brims. What initially looks huge will come to look normal. They also give better sun protection and for me that is a huge concern.
Yes, I think you’re right. When I first considered the “Fedora” I thought the brim was too big. I love it now. And now the Hampton’s brim, to me, seems too small. I think I will pull the trigger on the Silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe February 1 (payday). ;-)

RJR

Yes, I think you’re right. When I first considered the “Fedora” I thought the brim was too big. I love it now. And now the Hampton’s brim, to me, seems too small. I think I will pull the trigger on the Silverbelly Campdraft Deluxe February 1 (payday). ;-)
The SBCD is a great choice.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
Akubra is the most inconsistent company when it comes to felt ... and anything else for that matter

never expect one hat to feel the same as the next ... even if it is the exact same model

has nothing to do with the company quality designation or hat model either

you could line up 5 CampDrafts and every one of them will have a different stiffness and different finish from the next ... they will probably be 5 different sizes as well ... even when marked the same size

A
Akubra is the most inconsistent company when it comes to felt ... and anything else for that matter

never expect one hat to feel the same as the next ... even if it is the exact same model

you could line up 5 CampDrafts and every one of them will have a different stiffness and different finih from the next ... they will probably be 5 different sizes as well ... even when marked the same size

Agreed. And I'd be alright with this if the sweats didn't shrink and I could buy them locally so I could evaluate the exact hat I was buying before paying. It's the shrinking sweats and the problems and expense of buying from Australia that has really put me off. I've been happy with some of their hats; it's just a crap shoot and I've been disappointed too often.

Ken David

One of the Regulars

you could line up 5 CampDrafts and every one of them will have a different stiffness and different finish from the next ... they will probably be 5 different sizes as well ... even when marked the same size
I agree with Moon.....after reading tons of posts on FL regarding Akubra hats specifically the CD I decided to give one a try in the blue grass (known to be one of the nicer felts), can't beat the price and they are a good hat to wear in the rain. Ordered a 58 and took a gamble on it fitting too tight.....I got lucky on the fit but this thing is stiff as cardboard and barely takes a crease.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nidan48

New in Town
I bought my first Akubra about 30 years ago. It was so stiff that I kicked it around the house for a while to soften it up.
Now after rain and snow and time it is a nice feeling hat. Got a campdraft a year ago and it is still stiff, although
it is my go-to rainy day hat and that helps break them in a little faster. I'm afraid to wear my Borsolinos in the rain.
I'll get the Optimo wet because I don't like it that much and it is way too stiff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24