Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Heritage Series

Are Heritage Series hats truly superior to non-Heritage Series?

• Total voters

DiverDude7

New in Town
Greetings fellow hat aficionados~

My name is Diver and I am new to the forum and actually new to hat wearing, so please excuse me if I ask dumb questions or questions that have been answered on here before. I appreciate your tolerance.

I find myself drawn between the Akubra Banjo Paterson (Graphite Grey) and the Akubra Coolabah (Black). The price difference is minimal and both seem to say that they are utilizing 'Imperial Quality' felt. It's just that the Banjo Paterson is one of the Heritage Series hats. So that is question 1. Question 2 is a bit more off the wall maybe...

1. What makes a Heritage Series hat special?

2. Is the long wait time to get these hats in Black or Graphite Grey a reflection of them being so special that they deserve 'special order' status, or are they just colors that are not very desired so not ordered much and hence not made or stocked by the manufacturer/dealer?

RJR

There have been several threads on this subject.Bottom line is the Heritage felt is a bit better and the sweat is better leather and a bit wider.The rub is that there is a fair difference in price;you have to decide if the differences in the hats are worth the difference in price.Its pretty subjective.
I suspect that "X"number of hats are mfgd in each color and each dealer tends to buy based on his/her experience so some are harder to find than others.
I own both hats and don't feel like you can go wrong with either OR BOTH.

Florida_Marlin

One of the Regulars
Of the 8 or 9 Akubra's I own, three of the four Heritage have not shrunk as much as imperial. I don't know about 4th as I just got it Thursday. I like the denser felt and the better sweat. I find myself wearing the Heritage grades more often, possibly because once it conforms to my head it doesn't change much, if at all, so I just plop it on my head and go.

I like them better myself if I have the opportunity for the same hat in either. But, value is subjective.

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I have 3 Akubras and 1 is Heritage. There is a bit of a difference in the felt being softer and a bit denser and the sweat being smoother and wider, but the cost increase makes me wonder about whether the price and quality match up. The hat band and edge binding ribbons of my 3 Campdrafts look the same.

To me, the real issue is getting the hat that you like in the color that looks good on you.

As to availability and wait times, this is a function of what they think they can sell immediately and therefore keep in stock rather than difficulty in manufacture.

The hats that you mention at are nice. Am looking at a Coober Pedy for my next Akubra which is somewhat similar.

Fed

BTW - What kind of diving do you do? I spent time on Guam/Saipan and really enjoyed leisure shore diving, but also made my way to Palau/Peleliu for some diving - wanted to see a lot more sharks up close.

Last edited:

Nyah

One of the Regulars
I too am wondering why the retailer chooses certain colors to keep in stock. The Campdraft seems to be very popular in silver, yet that color requires a 3 month wait.

When compared side-by-side, the Heritage Silverbelly & the Imperial Silverbelly had visibly different levels of ribbons.
Not sure that has remained the case, but when we got them to do the initial Campdraft Deluxe run, they were different.

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I just received my first Akubra, a Campdraft Imperial Quality, and I don't know if I'd particularly want a denser felt. When I compared it last night to my Borsalino, the difference between the two in terms of sturdiness was immense, with the Akubra winning hands-down. And the Borsalino cost more than three times the price of the Akubra.

swd

New in Town
Quick answer: What Fed said!

Slightly longer answer: I have three felt Akubras, one is the Heritage Quality Lightning Ridge that David Morgan sells (exclusively, apparently). I wear it nearly every day and although I won't say that I "forget" that I have it on, it is so comfortable (after some initial shaping to my long oval noggin') that I will say that I rarely notice that I have it on. That said, my other two are excellent hats as well, and I wouldn't select one model over another based solely on it being a Heritage hat. If I found any model that had the style, color or otherwise struck my fancy, I wouldn't hesitate to buy it regardless of the felt quality. For example, I am currently sorely tempted by the Imperial quality Wentworth. I think Akubra hats are an excellent hat and an outstanding value--period!

DiverDude7

New in Town
Sure is good to hear from all of you, especially since most of you are actual owners, thx guys. It is reassuring to hear such positive comments on Akubra, I am excited to join the Owner's Club! :cool: I also wouldn't be surprised if I wind up with both of them myself. The big issue with me is whether or not China will rip me off with import fee/tax. Well, we'll find out soon enough...

Last edited:

DiverDude7

New in Town
Fed - yeah, I hear you about getting the hat that is right for you, regardless of whether X or Y is seen as better or best. At the end of the day wear what you like. I definitely had my eye on that Coober Pedy too. Love the opal~

I grew up mostly on the coast of Gulf of Mexico and in my 20's & 30's worked as a commercial diver. I bet Saipan was awesome !!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner