Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra in the news

Originally Posted by TheDane View Post
As I understand it, the old European felters blended in hare/rabbit (among other reasons) to make the felt softer and more luxurious to the feel - not least in their velours.

Top Quality Austrian / German Velour (late 1800s to 1930s) used only Hare blends (maybe some nutria, muskrat, beaver for durability) and no Rabbit.

Side note:
Australian rabbit fur was considered low quality due to climate (warmer climate less desirable fur).

Very interesting. I did not know that. Thanks, Steve!

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Originally Posted by TheDane View Post
As I understand it, the old European felters blended in hare/rabbit (among other reasons) to make the felt softer and more luxurious to the feel - not least in their velours.

Top Quality Austrian / German Velour (late 1800s to 1930s) used only Hare blends (maybe some nutria, muskrat, beaver for durability) and no Rabbit.

Side note:
Australian rabbit fur was considered low quality due to climate (warmer climate less desirable fur).

I agree, and another very important point is, that the parts of the animal, the fur is sourced from, is just as important to the blend, as the species is. It seems, as if this is often forgotten - and most people today are only interested in, whether a hat is made from rabbit, beaver or some blend of the two.

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I also wear my Akubras in conditions that I wouldn't think of exposing my other (even more expensive) hats to. Just let let them dry off when wet/soaked and give them the occasional brushing and they are as good as new. IMO they represent a true bargain in today's felt hat market.

I agree totally.

H Weinstein

One of the Regulars
Interesting story. Releasing a virus may not have been the smartest thing to do. Messing with Mother Nature often leads to unintended consequences.

I love my Akubras! (I have 9 of them, all bought in the past 3 years after learning about the brand here on the Lounge.)
After reading this story, I'm glad I got them before the bunny shortage and likely price increases.

Here is some more information on wild Australian rabbit fur from "Die Hutmacherkunst: ein Handbuch für den Klein- und Grossbetrieb By Carl Bortfeldt 1902". At this time Australian rabbit fur was very affordable and the English controlled imports to Europe.

"The time (winter being the best) of the slaying has a great influence on the value of hair in wild rabbits of Europe, however, with domestic rabbits it has almost no influence. In rabbits from Australia larger differences occur. When Australian wild rabbit is killed in the hot season the hair is more poor. Also from Australia come many small pelts so their hair is very inferior. In Australia each rabbit is killed with no difference, because the government pays the same premium per coat."

"Since there are often heavy, greasy skins among Australian rabbits, they must be de-greased beforehand as shown previously with Nutria skins. Well suited for this process is the quite excellent Läutertrommel (elutriation drum)Fig 3 (shown below). As described previously by taking the skins through this process, fat pieces are separated from the leather."

14103885779_32c116c7e5_o.jpg

Last edited:

Duper

Practically Family
Ditch the cap. Get an akubra

From the Akubra website news section.

DITCH THE CAP. GET AN AKUBRA
July 8th, 2014
Akubra hats have been given the thumbs up and rated as EXCELLENT for sun protection while baseball caps have been rated as virtually useless.

Akubra recently had its hats independently tested again for Ultraviolet Protection by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) and they provided us with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor Report and an Ultraviolet Factor (UPF) rating.

Akubra Hats are still rated at UPF 50+ and as such are classified as EXCELLENT under the UPF Classification System. This is the highest classification achievable under this system.

Meanwhile the Cancer Council of Western Australia has warned that baseball caps offer virtually no protection from the sun. Instead, the council is urging anyone going out in the sun to use wide-brimmed hats that provide far more shade to the face, ears, neck and shoulders. “

A huge number of skin cancers occur on the ears and the back of the neck and a cap is almost useless at preventing that. It’s not far off walking around hatless,” Mark Strickland, manager of Cancer WA’s SunSmart program, said. “They don’t keep the sun off and research shows they are essentially useless.”

tommyK

One Too Many
From the Akubra website news section.

DITCH THE CAP. GET AN AKUBRA
July 8th, 2014
Akubra hats have been given the thumbs up and rated as EXCELLENT for sun protection while baseball caps have been rated as virtually useless.

Akubra recently had its hats independently tested again for Ultraviolet Protection by the Australian Radiation Protection and Nuclear Safety Agency (ARPANSA) and they provided us with an Ultraviolet Protection Factor Report and an Ultraviolet Factor (UPF) rating.

Akubra Hats are still rated at UPF 50+ and as such are classified as EXCELLENT under the UPF Classification System. This is the highest classification achievable under this system.

Meanwhile the Cancer Council of Western Australia has warned that baseball caps offer virtually no protection from the sun. Instead, the council is urging anyone going out in the sun to use wide-brimmed hats that provide far more shade to the face, ears, neck and shoulders. “

A huge number of skin cancers occur on the ears and the back of the neck and a cap is almost useless at preventing that. It’s not far off walking around hatless,” Mark Strickland, manager of Cancer WA’s SunSmart program, said. “They don’t keep the sun off and research shows they are essentially useless.”

This is exactly why I've taken to wearing Fedoras in recent years. I've not been afflicted yet but my wife has and some of the excisions have been scary big. I want to keep my ears!

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
The only Akubra I currently own is a Fed IV Deluxe. It is a very nice hat and extremely tough. The felt is stiffer and the finish is not as polished when compared with my Optimo hats. But the Akubra did cost a fraction of what I paid for each Optimo, so that's hardly a criticism.

By the way, the ABC (Australian Broadcasting) news site also features this picture of Ronald Reagan tipping his Akubra. Apparently the President received the hat as a result of a bet with the Aussie PM over the America's Cup yacht race.
1988096-3x2-940x627.jpg

This is exactly why I've taken to wearing Fedoras in recent years. I've not been afflicted yet but my wife has and some of the excisions have been scary big. I want to keep my ears!
My father-in-law had numerous small amounts of skin cancer removed from his face, neck, shoulders, and arms, and eventually lost his left ear as well. I had a small amount removed from my nose in January of 2013, so my fedoras (four of which are Akubras) have gotten a lot more use since then. According to the "causes and risk factors" for the type I had (basal cell carcinoma) the damage has likely already been done, but it's as good an excuse as any to wear my hats. :D

viclip

Practically Family
My father-in-law had numerous small amounts of skin cancer removed from his face, neck, shoulders, and arms, and eventually lost his left ear as well. I had a small amount removed from my nose in January of 2013, so my fedoras (four of which are Akubras) have gotten a lot more use since then. According to the "causes and risk factors" for the type I had (basal cell carcinoma) the damage has likely already been done, but it's as good an excuse as any to wear my hats. :D

The linked info sheet is worth a read, in particular the need for a brim of at least 3" for adequate sun protection:

http://www.sunsmart.com.au/downloads/resources/info-sheets/sun-protective-hats-info-sheet.pdf

I've recently ordered a couple of Stetson Gun Club hats accordingly (in silverbelly & acorn). These boast the 3" or 3-1/4" brim & fit in well with my urban environment. Borsalino also manufactures large-brimmed hats which more resemble fedoras, in addition to their religious series of large-brimmed hats (the latter are available in any color you want so long as it's black).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner