Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra size question

Apache

New in Town
I thank you kindly for your comments and suggestions. I am working on the hat band with some mink oil, some kettle steam and the hat jack. Looks like its working, and the shrunk hat is slowly going back into the original size. What I did was to apply some mink oil to the sweat band, heat the leather up a little (so the mink oil goes into the leather's pores), and then using the hat jack. After the hat jack is in place I used some steam on the outside of the hat, and stretched it a little. I am following this procedure twice a day, letting it cool for hours in between. So far it looks like its working, and the only problem right now is some brim distortion. I guess that can be fixed later somehow. However as Blackthorn mentioned, there is a sentimental attachment to the hat itself, so I want to take it nice and easy, and maybe over a period of a few days I can get this Akubra back to its old glory. One thing is for certain: Akubras are some tough work hats!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Size

I recently purchased an Akubra Squatter in a size 58...I'm a 7 1/8 long oval so hatsdirect suggested that I get a 58 because a 57 would be too small...needless to say, the 58 is too large...I put some paper towels behind the sweat band which makes the hat a little uncomfortable to wear...except for the black color of the hat and the size, I really like it...but I probably won't buy another Akubra since I can't get one in my actual long oval size...

Apache

New in Town
T Jones:

I had almost the same problem with my Akubras when I first got them: the shape of the hat was not exactly my head shape and they felt a little too large. However I noticed that over time they would conform to the shape of my head, and the constant wear on the outdoors would make them far more comfortable over time.

Maybe just wearing the hat constantly could help, or even wear it out during a good rain shower and just wear it until it dries. I know this could be too extreme and unorthodox, but it has worked for me. After the hat dries on your head it will conform to your head shape. A hat Jack could also do the trick.

I recently purchased an Akubra Squatter in a size 58...I'm a 7 1/8 long oval so hatsdirect suggested that I get a 58 because a 57 would be too small...needless to say, the 58 is too large...I put some paper towels behind the sweat band which makes the hat a little uncomfortable to wear...except for the black color of the hat and the size, I really like it...but I probably won't buy another Akubra since I can't get one in my actual long oval size...
I'm a long oval bordering on extra long oval. Akubras have always adjusted to my head shape. EA & Hats Direct can block them LO before shipping but I found it unnecessary.
I'm a dead on 24" & always order 61. Nothing but satisfaction on way too many Akubras including the Squatter....

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Akubra Sizing

Thanks guys...I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...I do like Akubras...@ gtdean, If I were to buy another one should I get it in a size 57 then and see if it will conform to my LO head? My only other complaint with my Squatter is the black color...it looked grey from the pictures online...but other than its size and color, it's a real nice hat, and it's easy to bash....I wouldn't mind having another Squatter in a different color.

Thanks guys...I didn't mean to hi-jack the thread...I do like Akubras...@ gtdean, If I were to buy another one should I get it in a size 57 then and see if it will conform to my LO head? My only other complaint with my Squatter is the black color...it looked grey from the pictures online...but other than its size and color, it's a real nice hat, and it's easy to bash....I wouldn't mind having another Squatter in a different color.
I've bought used 60, but only bought new 61 which is my size being 24. That is for Fed 4, campdraft, cattleman, kiandra, squatter, bushman...

The Rag And Bone Man

One of the Regulars
I've had my Akubra Campdraft, a few days now, I rang Sam told him my head size which is exactly 22.5 inches, he told me I needed a size 58.
And was glad to see when it arrived it fitted, amazingly well, and could not be happier, now I am just waiting on my Squatter to arrive, in steel grey.
Here is the campdraft I am talking about freshly bashed. cd 2.jpg Cd 1.jpg cd 3.jpg cd 4.jpg cd 6.jpg

Brian Niebuhr

One of the Regulars
I ordered my Cattleman in my actual size and it became pretty tight. After some time on the hat jack it fits fine again but it's such a heavy hat. I got a Campdraft and a Silver Spur a size big and wear them the most now. They fit fine after some steam from shaping and are a lot lighter weight and more comfortable. I sweat up my Silver Spur like crazy and it always fits great. Today I push mowed my double lot in 85 degree weather while wearing it. Then I went fishing with it. Great hat!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
My Squatter

I've had my Akubra Campdraft, a few days now, I rang Sam told him my head size which is exactly 22.5 inches, he told me I needed a size 58.
And was glad to see when it arrived it fitted, amazingly well, and could not be happier, now I am just waiting on my Squatter to arrive, in steel grey.
Here is the campdraft I am talking about freshly bashed. View attachment 1448 View attachment 1449 View attachment 1450 View attachment 1451 View attachment 1452

Yeah, I really like the Campdraft...I want to get one in possibly Silverbelly or Taupe Fawn...I measure at 22 5/8 inches, but I'm a Long Oval size...Hatsdirect suggested that I get a size 58...my Squatter is a 58 and is too big... I put paper towels behind the sweat but it still doesn't fit right...I could put up with the fit if it weren't black in color...from what I'm reading by other posters it would seem that each style of Akubra has a different fit...I read where one poster said that his Fed IV fit his LO head where other Akubras seemed more fitting for ROs...I wouldn't mind having another Squatter if it were maybe a Mid Fawn color....

Here's my Squatter...

akubradressup02b.jpg

akubrasquatter08.jpg

akubrasquatter07.jpg

akubrasquatter04.jpg

Apache

New in Town
Good day to all:

Just to let you know that the mink-oil/steam method for correcting the shrinking of an old Akubra worked! Maybe just a little too well actually. I have an old (10 year old) Coober Pedy that I could not wear anymore because it had shrunk over the course of many years of hard use in the rain, humid and tropical conditions of South Mexico and Central America. About two years ago I had given up on the hat, because it was way to tight on my head.

Last week I covered the inside of the sweatband with mink oil, heated it up with a hair dryer, and repeated the process untill the sweatband was saturated with oil. Then I used a hat-jack to stretch it up for a couple of days, and twice a day for three days I steamed it with a kettle. I kept the hat-jack on the hat all the time, and gently stretched it as the steam worked its way in the felt and the sweatband.

I changed the hat band (I actually made a new one out of a piece of saddle leather I had), and re-creased it cattleman style (almost like an Aussie Slouch Hat). Today its the first day I took it out fo the jack to see the results. Well, not only did it stretched back with a new bash on it, it looks practically new!

The method did work and stretched it back, but it worked waaay to well, since now the hat is loose on my head. The hat is a size 58 (I am a 7 1/8 in Stetsons), but now it looks its a size 59 or 60. This leads me to believe that the method I just described does work. Only time will tell if it works for good, but at the time I am happy with the results. The hat looks almost new on the outside, has a fantastic shape, and this Coober Pedy is ready for another 10 years in the bush.

Have a good one!

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Akubra Snowy River/Cattlman sizing

Hello everyone, I have some questions regarding the sizing on Akubra Snowy River and Cattleman hats. I own one of each plus a Coober Pedy. What I would like to know is why is my Snowy River a slightly snugger fit than my Cattleman when they are bot size 57? I have had the Snowy about 18 months but have not had much opportunity to wear it so it is still in almost new condition. The Cattleman I bought a week ago and is a slightly looser fit. The crown of my head in the Snowy is 3-4 millimeters short of touching the inside of the dome but in the Cattleman my crown is up against the inside of the dome. Is the Snowy a tad too small or the Cattleman a tad too big or is it down to the individual shapes of the hats with the Snowy having a lower crown? Do I just need to wear them both in a bit more perhaps? Both hats are comfortable, look fine and stay firmly on my head on a windy day. If I push the Snowy down too far it gets a bit tight but like I say there is never the need as it seems to sit firmly enough without having to shove it down too much. Now, here is what I am really confused about, my Coober Pedy is a 58 and fits perfectly!

Any feedback appreciated

Jaffa

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Mate, Akubra's sizing can sometimes vary even within the one style - I recently tried some Cattleman hats, I put on three in size 58, each fitted slightly differently and one was so large it might as well have been a 59. I bought the one that was just right. I have found this sometimes to be the case with Akubra hats since the early 1980's. Don't be surprised if they sometimes vary. Thickness and stiffness of felt can impact on all this too. Akubras are not scientific instruments.

Last edited:

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
Thanks Seb, I see your point that sizing will never be consistent. Akubra say always go for the larger size because of sweatband shrinkage, but when I was buying in both the case of the Snowy and the Cattleman the 58's was way too big even with some padding under the sweatband so I went for the 57's but in the case of the Snowy I do wonder if I get any shrinkage in the sweatband it will be too small but I have done as Akubra recommend on their website and applied some good quality hide food under the sweatband to prevent shrinkage. Anyone done this and found it works ok?

Thanks Seb, I see your point that sizing will never be consistent. Akubra say always go for the larger size because of sweatband shrinkage, but when I was buying in both the case of the Snowy and the Cattleman the 58's was way too big even with some padding under the sweatband so I went for the 57's but in the case of the Snowy I do wonder if I get any shrinkage in the sweatband it will be too small but I have done as Akubra recommend on their website and applied some good quality hide food under the sweatband to prevent shrinkage. Anyone done this and found it works ok?
My head measures almost exactly 60 cm, so that's the size I've ordered every time I've purchased an Akubra (regular/Imperial Grade felt, that is, not the deluxe/Heritage Grade felt). Every hat was approximately half-a-size to a full-size too large when I received them, but shrunk down to a perfect fit after wearing them a few times. I should probably also mention that my head shape is as close to a regular oval as makes no difference, so those with a wide oval or long oval head might have to make some adjustments.

PHIL1959

One of the Regulars
Hi Jaffa the hat. I've had them for a year or so, wear them daily apart from summer when i doff a panama!
you really cant go wrong with the stylemaster, and in my opinion, in moonstone is one hell of a hat!
phil DSCF1414.JPG

Last edited:

Jaffa the Hat

New in Town
I agree its looking good on you. Do you ever treat the sweatbands with a leather care product to prevent shrinkage? 019.jpg Here I am in my 57 Snowy. Apparently I am an exact 57 so this hat fits close but not uncomfortable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112