Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra slouch hat

Mark_O

New in Town
Hi everyone!

2nd post here!

I have a Akubra Slouch hat coming from Australia.
Couple questions. The hat is unshaped, think from watching and reading, they call shaping the crown bashing?
Also it doesn't come a band. Thinking of making myself a pugaree.
Need ideas of what a good crown shape would be.
Thinking going to make it like a safari esque look. Going to be a outdoor hat.

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Hi everyone!

2nd post here!

I have a Akubra Slouch hat coming from Australia.
Couple questions. The hat is unshaped, think from watching and reading, they call shaping the crown bashing?
Also it doesn't come a band. Thinking of making myself a pugaree.
Need ideas of what a good crown shape would be.
Thinking going to make it like a safari esque look. Going to be a outdoor hat.
Did you not get a new one? Why I ask is that they usually come with a puggaree, which in my experience is the right choice for that hat. I've also worn mine without the puggaree (it just slides off) and I also like that look a lot. A thin ribbon might look good, but I don't think I would like the look of a bow on my slouch.

The one I have has a big crown but it does have a noticeable side taper and for me that impacts the look of the bash. I would recommend messing around and seeing what you like the best but start off with a center crease and NOT a diamond or a tear drop/c-crease. If you start off with a center crease and you want to change it later, it's easy to transition to a tear drop. But if you start off with a tear drop and you want to go back to a center crease, you will have the lines from the teardrop (called "shadows" or "ghosts") and they are hard to get rid of.

Mark_O

New in Town
Did you not get a new one? Why I ask is that they usually come with a puggaree, which in my experience is the right choice for that hat. I've also worn mine without the puggaree (it just slides off) and I also like that look a lot. A thin ribbon might look good, but I don't think I would like the look of a bow on my slouch.

The one I have has a big crown but it does have a noticeable side taper and for me that impacts the look of the bash. I would recommend messing around and seeing what you like the best but start off with a center crease and NOT a diamond or a tear drop/c-crease. If you start off with a center crease and you want to change it later, it's easy to transition to a tear drop. But if you start off with a tear drop and you want to go back to a center crease, you will have the lines from the teardrop (called "shadows" or "ghosts") and they are hard to get rid of.
No, the one I bought, is just the bare hat.
I'm thinking that a puggaree would look really good.
Akubra slouch.jpg
interior.jpg

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Yes, probably some nice ones.

Thinking of making myself one, that way I can find the perfect fabric to complement the look of the hat.
I saw a thread a few days ago about making a puggaree. I didn’t read it, maybe that was you? I personally wouldn’t know where to begin but if you are handy like that, then the hat will be the better for it.

Mark_O

New in Town
Ok, finally got around to taking photos of the Akubra.
I find with my head shape, extremely comfortable! Had just bought a black snowy river a little whil back, even though the same size, 62 cm, the snowy river seems to be a longer oval? shape.

Probably my most favorite hat! Bascally learned how to shape a hat with it :)
Akubra slouch.jpg
IMG_0056-1.JPG

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Ok, finally got around to taking photos of the Akubra.
I find with my head shape, extremely comfortable! Had just bought a black snowy river a little whil back, even though the same size, 62 cm, the snowy river seems to be a longer oval? shape.

Probably my most favorite hat! Bascally learned how to shape a hat with it :)
View attachment 547860 View attachment 547861
Akubra sweat bands will generally conform to your head the more you wear them (especially after a good sweat or two). They get to be REALLY comfortable for that reason.

What did you decide about a pug?

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
Great looking hat! Which Akubra is most like the slouch in brim size and crown size other than the slouch?
For me none of them are "most like the slouch" because my slouch is made with Superfine felt whereas every other current Akubra model is made with either Imperial or Heritage felt.

I have not had a chance to test the superfine under adverse conditions, but just in terms of creasing the superfine is a substantially different experience. For one thing, I don't have any spidering in the superfine and I have creased it a number of different ways (such that even heritage felt would've shown some spidering by now).

But lots of other Akubra models are similar in crown and brim size.

Last edited:

The Lost Cowboy

One Too Many
I looked earlier today and the slouch hat that David Morgan sells is made of the superfine felt.

The only other superfine that I’ve seen offered is a custom order from Everything Australian for a superfine Squatter. They say it’s a six month wait, though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner