Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra slouch hat

Colby Jack

Call Me a Cab
I'd go with the Aussie sites or David Morgan's(less expensive)...you get the bound edge version (more accurate), the chin strap in most cases, and even the badge (Hatsdirect)...plus wpg misspelled puggaree...that just throws me off...:p :D

Daoud

One of the Regulars
That's a pile of money for that hat. I'd recommend that anyone wanting a slouch hat keep an eye on eBay. I got this one- clearly vintage but in virtually untouched condition- for around $50.00
th_swordandhats010.jpg
- the Royal Australian Artillery badge another 10 bucks more or less. I got this one for a friend for about the same price.
th_swordandhats016.jpg
- a bit older but still in great shape. Also N.Z. Army Badge a bit rarer hence pricier. Chin straps included with both by the way. As has been mentioned the side snap and unbound edge seen on the WPG site are not current Oz issue. An excellent resource for those interested in these hats is http://www.diggerhistory.info/ Caution- when searching on eBay be advised that for some unknown reason the term "slouch hat" is now being used by many sellers to describe baseball-style caps- so searching can turn up a lot of garbage. Try also "Akubra" and "Australian Army hats" as well. I love my slouch but I like it all the better knowing it cost $50.00 or so vs. almost three times that..........

Windsock

A-List Customer
It's an old thread but I came across it after seeing the WWII version Slouch Hat by WPG. I though it might be useful to add my 2 cents.

I've owned many original hats produced during most years of WWII and from the very few pics i've seen of this representation it looks pretty good. I do have a 1939 dated hat that has the basic hook and brim binding like modern hats but many of the hats made during the War were made without the binding and with a press stud (except for hats used by RAAF personnel which lacked the side clip). Here's some shots of a hat from my collection which was made in Victoria in 1943 and resembles the Akubra WPG is offering. Compared to another 1943 dated NSW made hat i've had this one has a slightly narrower brim.

194303V.jpg

I'd like to compare one of these in the flesh but that won't happen as I've accumulated too many originals, but I'd strongly advise not to buy one of those other types mentioned as although they may have been produced by Akubra (I don't know) they are made for the tourist market and are a representation of the real thing and the silly fantasy badge is just insulting as far as i'm concerned. anyone interested in a real Slouch Hat should avoid these expensive copies and just buy a contemporary real ex-Army example as they are plentiful and cheap.

By the way, these hats were worn as protection for the sun and rain so the brim was mainly in the down position (as opposed to the parade or formal side folded) as in this photo of my Uncle's Section during basic training before heading to North Africa (Middle row, third from left).
070220groupshot.jpg

This is a formal studio shot taken in Tel Aviv some time later- obviously a little older, wiser....
070220portraitcolour-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Has anyone ever seen one of these in a deeper, forest-green? I'm on the lookout for a slouch (or a Kronje) in that colour - can be wool or felt. (I'd also consider a wool one that could be dyed.... not sure fur felt can?)

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Has anyone ever seen one of these in a deeper, forest-green? I'm on the lookout for a slouch (or a Kronje) in that colour - can be wool or felt. (I'd also consider a wool one that could be dyed.... not sure fur felt can?)
My first question would be budget.
Johnny

1961MJS

Hi Edward

I think that if you have a picture, measurements, and a hat size, any one of the custom hatters could make one. I don't know where (for example) Hat man Jack in Wichita Kansas gets his pugaree's. Obviously they are manufactured somewhere though. I know you're from the place we're colonists from so you may have a harder time. Sunrise Supply makes various shades of forest green from Nutria fur, and Winchester was making several greens for Art.

Good luck

johnnycanuck

Smithbilt hats makes a wool cowboy for $130 Canadian in moss (green) that could be requested with a flat brim and a pug. Just an idea.
https://smithbilthats.com/product/3x-cattleman-wool/?v=707f3a40153b
I am sure you can go to any custom hat maker like Northwest or VS. I know Smithbilt does wool pretty good. I have a scout hat from them that has gotten soft but not lost it’s form with wear. Shrinkage is usually an issue with wool.
Hope that helps.
Johnny

Edward

Bartender
My first question would be budget.
Johnny

Good question. Not too much. I'm looking, long term, to recreate a very rare 1914-era uniform, per these in the picture. The upper photo is an original (which sold at auction for six hundred Euros, from memory), and appears to be felt, but they were also made from wool (all PP) as per the photo below, which is a (no longer available) repro from an original. The History Bunker in Leeds offer a repro of what I'm after in wool, but alas they've gone for a much, much lighter khaki green that to the best of my knowledge was never worn by this particular outfit.

Cronje.jpg
6c399dcb39e7d7fb4833cc73b97b59b2.jpg

Hi Edward

I think that if you have a picture, measurements, and a hat size, any one of the custom hatters could make one. I don't know where (for example) Hat man Jack in Wichita Kansas gets his pugaree's. Obviously they are manufactured somewhere though. I know you're from the place we're colonists from so you may have a harder time. Sunrise Supply makes various shades of forest green from Nutria fur, and Winchester was making several greens for Art.

Good luck
Smithbilt hats makes a wool cowboy for $130 Canadian in moss (green) that could be requested with a flat brim and a pug. Just an idea.
https://smithbilthats.com/product/3x-cattleman-wool/?v=707f3a40153b
I am sure you can go to any custom hat maker like Northwest or VS. I know Smithbilt does wool pretty good. I have a scout hat from them that has gotten soft but not lost it’s form with wear. Shrinkage is usually an issue with wool.
Hope that helps.
Johnny

Thanks, both - I think I'm going to end up going for a wool and converting rather than the custom route (lots of other bits to buy yet with a uniform!), but the latter might be a good option in future as budget allows. I'll be certain to put up some photos when it's done (though it's a long-term project!).

Reactions: RBH

1961MJS

Hi, Edward, you're in England, if it's the foggy part, I'd really opt for Bunny fur. My non-Akubra wool slouch hat shrunk quite a bit in the rain, and it is a copy of the hat used in Burma in WW2. I've worn almost all of my hats in the rain, including wearing one from Covington Tennessee (Mike Moore) at Shiloh Tennessee the next day all day in the rain. It still looks great.

It would be worth DOUBLE the price of wool felt to ME to get fur felt. If you have no plans to go outside then wool will make you happy.

Good luck

erik7181

New in Town
Hi guys,
So im sure this has been posted before, but i figured id ask the pros.
im looking for a African style slouch hat I can put a pugeree on.
I looked for an Akubara military hat but there either sold out or not in my size. Im a 7 3/4
Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• 6B411ED9-35E7-406D-AC26-E742178849A0.jpeg
    6B411ED9-35E7-406D-AC26-E742178849A0.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 47

johnnycanuck

Hi guys,
So im sure this has been posted before, but i figured id ask the pros.
im looking for a African style slouch hat I can put a pugeree on.
I looked for an Akubara military hat but there either sold out or not in my size. Im a 7 3/4
Any help would be appreciated.
I have seen pugs put on all sorts of Akubras. The territory and cattleman look really good but you can put a pug on any hat. I have even seen them put on old army campaign hats.
Johnny

Edward

Bartender
Here's a thread from some years ago about giving this treatment to the Akubra Riverina, as some of us did:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-riverina-safari-ized.24930/

I'd suggest the vented models are the best option for this; it's certainly the only felt hat I can cope with in the heat. Were I buying one to do this to now, I'd probably go with the Territory.

For a pugaree, the two key options are: wind your own, or buy an Aus military one. The latter is easier, the former much cheaper and - imo - gives it a more individualist look. I would suggest, though, from experience that when you tuck the tail end in when winding your own, you give it a quick stitch, just to stop it slipping out.

Mm25

One Too Many
Here's a thread from some years ago about giving this treatment to the Akubra Riverina, as some of us did:

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/akubra-riverina-safari-ized.24930/

I'd suggest the vented models are the best option for this; it's certainly the only felt hat I can cope with in the heat. Were I buying one to do this to now, I'd probably go with the Territory.

For a pugaree, the two key options are: wind your own, or buy an Aus military one. The latter is easier, the former much cheaper and - imo - gives it a more individualist look. I would suggest, though, from experience that when you tuck the tail end in when winding your own, you give it a quick stitch, just to stop it slipping out.
Edward,
The thread you link to is what first brought me to the lounge a decade ago. I had acquired a slouch hat that needed a pugaree and a search led me here. Good times.
Joe

erik7181

New in Town
Whats your opinion on this vintage banana republic hat

Attachments

• EE566D2B-37F8-42F6-AF04-179A6A2545CE.jpeg
    EE566D2B-37F8-42F6-AF04-179A6A2545CE.jpeg
    529.1 KB · Views: 36

erik7181

New in Town
It's an old thread but I came across it after seeing the WWII version Slouch Hat by WPG. I though it might be useful to add my 2 cents.

I've owned many original hats produced during most years of WWII and from the very few pics i've seen of this representation it looks pretty good. I do have a 1939 dated hat that has the basic hook and brim binding like modern hats but many of the hats made during the War were made without the binding and with a press stud (except for hats used by RAAF personnel which lacked the side clip). Here's some shots of a hat from my collection which was made in Victoria in 1943 and resembles the Akubra WPG is offering. Compared to another 1943 dated NSW made hat i've had this one has a slightly narrower brim.

194303V.jpg

I'd like to compare one of these in the flesh but that won't happen as I've accumulated too many originals, but I'd strongly advise not to buy one of those other types mentioned as although they may have been produced by Akubra (I don't know) they are made for the tourist market and are a representation of the real thing and the silly fantasy badge is just insulting as far as i'm concerned. anyone interested in a real Slouch Hat should avoid these expensive copies and just buy a contemporary real ex-Army example as they are plentiful and cheap.

By the way, these hats were worn as protection for the sun and rain so the brim was mainly in the down position (as opposed to the parade or formal side folded) as in this photo of my Uncle's Section during basic training before heading to North Africa (Middle row, third from left).
070220groupshot.jpg

This is a formal studio shot taken in Tel Aviv some time later- obviously a little older, wiser....

194303V.jpg

070220groupshot.jpg

I live in Florida so it is a pretty tropical climate, and I think with moth brims down it would pair great with my Tag safari shirts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran