Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra squatter

Matt Brandon

New in Town
Well at least you appear to have gotten your hands on a nice smoking piece-- it's so tiny in your avatar but I really like what appears to be the heavy pine cone-like rustication on the bowl!

monbla256 and gtdean48, Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated

As for the pipe, it is a Savinelli Stellar 707 http://reocities.com/NapaValley/8307/stellar.jpg Great smoke. I gotta admit I know a heck of a lot more about pipes than I do hats. I love a good Savinelli or Peterson and I have plenty to prove it.;)

BTW I just ordered my DM Squatter in Moonstone. Bummer that it is not lined. I would love to be able to crease it in a diamond, but not sure if there is enough crown. Any thoughts?

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
monbla256 and gtdean48, Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated

As for the pipe, it is a Savinelli Stellar 707 http://reocities.com/NapaValley/8307/stellar.jpg Great smoke. I gotta admit I know a heck of a lot more about pipes than I do hats. I love a good Savinelli or Peterson and I have plenty to prove it.;)

BTW I just ordered my DM Squatter in Moonstone. Bummer that it is not lined. I would love to be able to crease it in a diamond, but not sure if there is enough crown. Any thoughts?

The DM Squatter IS lined and has a straighter 5 1/2" open crown. Probably not as deep as you can on the taller crowned CD from OZ but still a nice one I'm sure. You might not be able to get as much "tugboat" as some like with that crease but it should do just fine. If you can, let us see some pics when you get it done :)

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
Will do. Thanks!

You'll like the Moonstone color I'm sure. Savinelli huh? I have a couple of Autographs and Gubleo d'Oro's and they are nice pipes. My main daily smokers are some old Charatan's and Dunhill's. I've not bought a new pipe in over 15 years now. Just smoke 'em. My daily blend is Dunhill's 965. Been smoking it for over 35 years now :)

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You guys drove me to it ...

I've been off the pipe for years now, but just reading your posts brought back the burley latakia blend I used to have made up.

It's safer to talk about Squatters ... probably cheaper too in today's markeplace!

Sam

monbla256

Call Me a Cab

I've been off the pipe for years now, but just reading your posts brought back the burley latakia blend I used to have made up.

It's safer to talk about Squatters ... probably cheaper too in today's markeplace!

Sam

Taking my mom to a Mayor's Lunch today wearing my Mid-Grey Squatter, which is DEFINATELY cheaper than a new Dunhill ! Wen't to the tobbacco shop yesterday to get some more 965 (have you tried it Sam?, LOT'S of Latakia with red Virginias, VERY cool and aromatic :) ) and looked at some new Dunhill pipes ! You can buy nearly three Squatters for the price of one Dunhill these days !! Glad I got mine back when :)

Hoyt Clagwell

One of the Regulars

Sam
What timing! I also gave up my pipes 24 years ago when my son was born.Yesterday I was cleaning up and came across a box full of my old pipes.That got me to thinking about how much I enjoyed them,and today I read this thread.I had a tough tim giving up the pipe,the cigars and finally the snuff.I enjoyed them all,too much in fact,so Im goona stick with Sammy on this one!

Bad Co

One of the Regulars
Reading these threads made me break out my pipes yesterday
BTW I do like the looks of that Brown Squatter

bowlerman

I'll Lock Up
Oh boy-- might have to try some of these blends. Ashton's Artisan is my favorite Latakia-Perique, and I really enjoy Boswell's Premium Burley as a "daily." I wonder if there's a place for a new thread of this nature? ;)

I have nearly as many pipes as I do hats, but have been trying to remain inactive with that hobby these days, since I simply use them only very occasionally. No Dunhills, alas, but I did sell one on the bay last summer-- a 1928 "inner tube." It just wasn't doing it for me.

I apologize for the digression. I still don't own any Akubras...

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Taking my mom to a Mayor's Lunch today wearing my Mid-Grey Squatter, which is DEFINATELY cheaper than a new Dunhill ! Wen't to the tobbacco shop yesterday to get some more 965 (have you tried it Sam?, LOT'S of Latakia with red Virginias, VERY cool and aromatic :) ) and looked at some new Dunhill pipes ! You can buy nearly three Squatters for the price of one Dunhill these days !! Glad I got mine back when :)

A couple years ago, the boss ... and I mean THE BOSS ... upstairs let me know the pipe had gotten too important to me. I fought for about a year and then finally gave it up. I have to admit, I still miss lots about it, but He was right.
Latakia was a thing of the past anyway. Too hard to find around here.

Speaking of Squatters ... did you ever see the green one MB?

I understand they've stopped making them. Too bad. I bet they were neat.

I love my gray. It has the bluish tinge to it. Very dressy.

Sam

Matt Brandon

New in Town
I thought there was a pipe thread. I don't mine starting one of there isn't. But they aren't hats or vintage. Hmmm we might get in trouble.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Seriously, Anybody got any experience with the green Squatter?

The more I think about it, the worse I feel at letting them slip away. They sound great.

Sam

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
Seriously, Anybody got any experience with the green Squatter?

The more I think about it, the worse I feel at letting them slip away. They sound great.

Sam

The Willow Green Squatter is fantastic. It is one of my most versatile hats.
Photo3.jpg

Neophyte

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I had a willow green Squatter. So did Yeps and Egghead, if I recall correctly. Nice color, but slightly darker and more muted than Akubra's Bluegrass Green.

Harry Gooch

One of the Regulars
ovalness of Fed IV vs. David Morgan Squatter

For those of you who have both the Fed IV and the DM Squatter, is one of them more long-oval than the other, or both about the same.

Cheers,

Harry.

monbla256

Call Me a Cab
For those of you who have both the Fed IV and the DM Squatter, is one of them more long-oval than the other, or both about the same.

Cheers,

Harry.

I can't speak for what is available in the models sold in OZ ( the Fed IV is an OZ model) after buying from DM for over 30 years now, I've not seen ANY of his Akubra's sold in a LO size. I've not seen this designation used or offered on any of the OZ retailers on the web either. You might want to ask some of them that sell the Fed about this. NONE of my DM Akubra's (all 4 of my Squatters for sure) are NOT LO .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran