Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra squatter

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I had a willow green Squatter. So did Yeps and Egghead, if I recall correctly. Nice color, but slightly darker and more muted than Akubra's Bluegrass Green.

I'm still considering the green squatter, though they seem rarer.
I also noted there is a green CEO.

However, I'm figuring a gray Campdraft might fill my hat needs better than another green.

All I know is, nothing out there compares to the Akubra quality.

Sam

mando

New in Town
I'm thinking about getting another squatter. I like the DM moonstone , but I recently bought a stylemaster in moonstone. Can anyone tell me if DMs moonstone is the same as hats direct moonstone?

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
My Akubra

IMG_0910.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

ManofKent

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Reviving an old thread. Has anyone got a Squatter in deep fawn they could share pictures of? I'm really happy with the Carbon Grey/Steel one I got for Christmas and am tempted by another one. Thanks...

milliedog

Familiar Face
ManofKent- is that Squatter you have from Australia or from David Morgan's remaining US stock? It shows as a really nice dark gray on my monitor, different from Moonstone that DM had.

ManofKent

ManofKent- is that Squatter you have from Australia or from David Morgan's remaining US stock? It shows as a really nice dark gray on my monitor, different from Moonstone that DM had.

Australian - from EverythingAustralian. It's a lot cheaper for me to buy them direct. Yes the CarbonGrey/Steel colour is much darker than Moonstone, but it shares a slight blueish tinge.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
As I wrote elsewhere here, The Squatter is the true Aussie bush hat. I remember 40 years ago it was worn by farmers and jackaroos (cowboys) and all kinds of rural types. The Akubra cowboy styles you never saw back then and mainly came into prominence after the 1980's film The Man form Snowy River. In cities men tended to wear the Stylemaster, which came uncreased then and had a higher crown. Sadly these days you rarely see an Akubra here, except at the races.

ManofKent

Yes, I too will be ordering one in that wonderful grey color. That yours was unlined and superfine felt clinched it for me.

The difference between the felt on the Squatter and a Campdraft isn't that noticeable - the superfine is slightly smoother, and the hat slightly lighter but it's not a significant difference to my mind (I've not weighed them...). I really like the Carbon Grey/Steel colour - it's dark, but nowhere near black.

milliedog

Familiar Face
That dark fawn should be really nice too. Beginning to wonder if I should order both and avoid two three month waits......hmmm.
Any chance you can post a picture of the inside when you have a moment? If it is labeled of course.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I own the Campdaft and Squatter, both in grey. I believe the felt of the Squatter is better. It's denser and feels more resilient. The Campdraft quality is fine but it's less dense and a bit fluffy. The Grey of the Squatter is nicer to my eye, less blue and a deeper grey.

diabolicaldog

New in Town
Ordered the steel gray a couple days ago. Now the wait for the package from OZ...

I hope your wait is a little shorter than mine. I ordered through my local saddler and was prepared for a three month wait... one week shy of five months I get my hats, a fawn Squatter and silverbelly Campdraft.

One month later and a new Bobby was my request for Christmas. My wife ordered that one through a different store and it only took one week. Obviously the Bobby was in stock and not a special order but nearly five months severely tested my patience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy