Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Straws

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Akubra straws. One website says that they are made from polypropylene. It may be an odd duck to wear a "plastic" hat, but I can imagine that it would hold it's own against a summer shower.

I was looking at the Capricorn, Rink, and Country Club.

What's the advantages / disadvantages of getting them with the green lining. is it just inside the hat or under the brim as well?

Thanks for all the info

Rob

BobC

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds to me like it'd be hot as all get out, Rob. Have you thought about checking with Panama Bob? That's who I'd recommend.

http://www.panamas.biz/

It may take him a while, but he'll get you a nice hat for a price you won't beat.

carldelo

One Too Many
BobC said:
Sounds to me like it'd be hot as all get out, Rob. Have you thought about checking with Panama Bob? That's who I'd recommend.

http://www.panamas.biz/

It may take him a while, but he'll get you a nice hat for a price you won't beat.

I have a Joe Fedora which is polypro - it's not hot at all. The weave is open and lets the breeze through - also, it has a coolmax sweatband that works nicely. It is significantly cooler than my Milan Stetson. It's great for hiking and boating when getting doused with salt water or rained on is possible - rinse it off and it's good to go. You can't do that with a Panama!
Anyway, if the Akubra straws are the same type of material they should be fine.

HatDoc

One of the Regulars
RobFedoraField said:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Akubra straws. One website says that they are made from polypropylene. It may be an odd duck to wear a "plastic" hat, but I can imagine that it would hold it's own against a summer shower.

I was looking at the Capricorn, Rink, and Country Club.

What's the advantages / disadvantages of getting them with the green lining. is it just inside the hat or under the brim as well?

Thanks for all the info

Rob

Rob....I received my Akubra Capricorn and wrote a review HERE.

I like it !!!! :)

HamletJSD

A-List Customer
That does look sharp, and the way I sweat something impervious to water would be nice for summer...

Wonder what the other colors look like?

Godfrey

One of the Regulars
RobFedoraField said:
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Akubra straws.

I've got an Akubra Jive and Jive Master. Both great hats. Leather sweatband means they stay pretty cool. The Jive master is some sort of treated Straw and the Jive is polypropylene. Looks great as far as I'm concerned and are both pretty breezy on a hot day. I prefer them to my panama (does that make me a hat heretic?)

christphil

New in Town
Hope it's okay to resurrect this thread. But I'd rather add to this thread rather than compose a new one.

I'm preparing for the coming Spring and am quite interested in the Akubra Jive Master and the Long Island in natural straw.

Can anyone provide any insight or photos on these two hats? I'm curious about the hemp straw they are made of---how do they compare to a typical milan straw hat? Also do the two aforementioned hats have the same wonderful Akubra sweatbands as the fur felts?

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
The Akubra Balmoral is a wider brimmed straw also made of hemp - and a wonderful lid. Hemp's main advantage (other than smoking it once you've worn the hat out) is that it can withstand a decent downpour.

You might want to check out the Akubra straw range at Hats Direct.com

christphil

New in Town
Ephraim Tutt said:

Glad to gear that the hemp straw is as durable as Akubra's felt.

I checked Hats Direct first when I began my search for a nice Akubra straw as they are my vendor of choice. Unfortunately their website doesn't list any of the stingier brim straws that I am interested in.

Strand Hatters has both of the hats I want but I haven't heard too much about their mail order service so I am a little trepidacious about ordering.

Anyone order from Strand Hatters website?

christphil

New in Town
Ephraim Tutt said:
The Akubra Balmoral is a wider brimmed straw also made of hemp - and a wonderful lid. Hemp's main advantage (other than smoking it once you've worn the hat out) is that it can withstand a decent downpour.

By the way. How is the sweat band on your Balmoral? Is it leather or fake leather?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou