Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra: Stylemaster v. Cattleman

You already have "this type of look" with the hats you have, in all humility quit trying for a "look", wear the hat you like and don't worry, so much, just be an individual, . Sure you can improvise by seeing others ideas, this place is full of ideas, my recommendation find "your" look

Last edited:

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you all for the suggestions. The following are some inspiration. I know these are not Akubras and they are also quite a bit worn in but with these in mind what do any of your opinions change?

Is there anyway of achieving this type of look with my Stylemaster?

I believe the Stylemaster is a little too "city" for that look. Maybe an Adventurer or Squatter?

RJR

I tend to agree with BR,but it still comes down to your own look and being comfortable with it.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
You already have "this type of look" with the hats you have, in all humility quit trying for a "look", wear the hat you like and don't worry, so much, just be an individual, . Sure you can improvise by seeing others ideas, this place is full of ideas, my recommendation find "your" look

I agree so much. Its all abt YOU. Your look. Your style. Xperiment... Mix n match. Try different things. Have fun!

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
That Stylemaster is just fine for the look you want. Love it and squeeze it and make it look a little less right-out-of-the-box. Turn the brim up. Anything to make it yours. It's perfect. But don't take my word for it. I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but head over to Pinterest. Search on men's hats and fashion. The variety runs the gamut.

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
Is there anyway for a hat maker (my local store being JJ Hat Center in NYC) to create what Akubra calls a "dipping brim" like what is seen on the Cattleman and Tablelands on my Stylemaster? After a lot of research I realize that I want a dipping brim just something closer to 2.5-2.75 inches rather than 3+ inches that is seen on the Cattleman and Tablelands.

Slacker Drummer

Familiar Face
Is there anyway for a hat maker (my local store being JJ Hat Center in NYC) to create what Akubra calls a "dipping brim" like what is seen on the Cattleman and Tablelands on my Stylemaster? After a lot of research I realize that I want a dipping brim just something closer to 2.5-2.75 inches rather than 3+ inches that is seen on the Cattleman and Tablelands.

Does turning it down both front and back not accomplish this on its own?

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
That does not work. When I turn it down in both the front and back the sides also turn down and it looks like a bowl.

Agreed. I tried it myself the other day and it just doesn't look right. But you may as well take it to JJ and see what they can do. Maybe they'll have some good ideas.

The risk, of course, is that you walk out of there owning several more hats.

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
Would be happy to have the binding cut off if necessary.

Agreed. I tried it myself the other day and it just doesn't look right. But you may as well take it to JJ and see what they can do. Maybe they'll have some good ideas.

The risk, of course, is that you walk out of there owning several more hats.

I haven't worn the hat outside yet so maybe I'll just return it and get a Cattleman (or similar) and have them trim the brim a little.

Obsessed

One of the Regulars
What about something like a Leisure Time or a Banjo Paterson that has a somehwat shorter brim than a Cattleman?

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
What about something like a Leisure Time or a Banjo Paterson that has a somehwat shorter brim than a Cattleman?

I just went to JJ Hat Center. They didn't have anything in my size, unfortunately. However, I was able to try on the Banjo Paterson, Snowy River, and Lightening Ridge all one size bigger than I would typically wear (before the foam inserts). I really loved everything about the Lightening Ridge but they couldn't order it any smaller sizes. They are able to iron/reflange (sp?) and steam my current Stylemaster to a very similar shape as the Lightening Ridge, although not exactly the same since the Stylemaster's brim is not dimensional. I left it with JJ Hat Center and I'm hoping for great results when I pick it up in about a week. Pictures to follow.

On a side note, I think I'm going to look into getting the Lightening Ridge for more "country" uses as I leave NYC very frequently. I wonder if it'll be more beneficial for me to have JJ Hat Center make me a custom hat to match my exact specifications or for me to order the Lightening Ridge from David Morgan. What do you all think?

tropicalbob

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HK, JJ Hats seem to be a bit on the pricey side. That store in midtown must have an astronomical rent. If you're thinking of going custom, you should contact Mike at Northwest Hats. He's a nice guy and does some beautiful work, and at prices that are very reasonable. And there's always Art Fawcett.

Harrison Krupnick

New in Town
I got my hat back today. Came out well but not exactly what I was hoping for. I'm going to order the Cooper Pedy sometime soon which is almost exactly what I want. Here are some pictures of the Stylemaster with new brim style. They made the front and back dip down and the sides straight to the best of their ability.

HatAddict94

Familiar Face
Hi everyone. Looking into hats and was wondering if you could offer some insights on the Stylemaster and the Cattleman. I want a hat thats more outdoorsy-looking even though I live in NYC and plan to wear it with more business casual type clothing. I have a very small head and currently have the Stylemaster which I just bought from JJ Hat Center, pic to follow. My concern with it is that it seems a little too formal for my tastes, especially with the bound edge. I really like the cattleman however I think the Stylemaster is borderline too big for me and that would make the Cattleman look ridiculous. What are you thoughts and suggestions?

This is the Stylemaster for reference. Please note that the photo is not 100% representative of the fit of the hat due to the angle of the photo.
You'd want something more casual like the stylemaster. The cattleman is a country hat. I pretty much wear my cattlemen everyday and get complaments. Hats these days take some balls to wear since theyre so out of place in this era but you get use to it.

Reactions: RJR

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff