Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Territory - any thoughts on it?

Jerekson

One Too Many
I'm considering an Akubra Territory as my next hat. I wanted something very iconic Australian, and this one seems to fit the bill. However, that 4' brim sort of has me worried. It's part of "the look" that I'm going for, but I think it might be overkill.

Would I be better off with a Snowy River or something?

to brim or not to brim...

well, the Snowy River is the "ultimate" australian outback icon, but it really depends which one looks better on you. I have a larger frame and I really can't go past the 2.75" mark or they look a little goofy on my (probably due to the fact they don't match the rest of my wardrobe.

I'm with Rob on the Snowy River. I have a Dallas which is exactly like the Snowy River except a telescope crease that I changed to a Snowy River style. I also have a Riverina & a Kiandra. They both have smaller brims. I really like the Kiandra for an outback style lid.
kiandra1.jpg

kiandra2.jpg

Kid Mac

Practically Family
The Territory is a lot of hat. Great if you really need some portable shade, but it's brim is big.

You might take a look at the Cattleman which has an 83 mm brim rather than the Territory's 102 mm. The Cattleman has the same basic brim shape as the Territory. The Cattleman currently is the top selling Akubra in Australia.

Cheers,

Mac

Akubra

Familiar Face
Jerekson said:
I'm considering an Akubra Territory as my next hat. I wanted something very iconic Australian, and this one seems to fit the bill. However, that 4' brim sort of has me worried. It's part of "the look" that I'm going for, but I think it might be overkill.

Would I be better off with a Snowy River or something?

I love mine...

check it out here...

http://share.shutterfly.com/share/received/welcome.sfly?fid=28489abb35f5433d&sid=8AZNXDhq3atFGWU

I also have a Snowy River and a Cattleman. Do a search and find my hat collection post and you can see the others. I like them all. The Territory is "a lot of hat" I have worn it in the field quite a bit, I plan on taking it with me to Wyoming on an elk hunt this October.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
My favourite of the bush hat variety...apart from the "Squatter" and the "RM", is the "Coober Pedy".

It's got a much shorter brim than the "Territory" but with the swoop it still keeps off plenty of sun. Mine recently went to the big hattery in the sky after a pretty hard beating over the past decade.
:(

Coober_Pedy_Santone_Fawn.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
Jerekson,
As I recall, you've posted some self portraits on the Lounge before. If you have Photoshop perhaps you can take one of your pics and manipulate the image so your hat brim appears larger (to give you an idea of how the large Territory brim might look on you). Also, for what it's worth, if you order through Noggintops.com they will trim the brim to your specs if you do not want the full 4 inch size.

Mike K.

One Too Many
You know...that Akubra Territory, despite the larger vent eyelets, would make a fine Redford-style "Out of Africa" hat with a few minor modifications.
c551_edited-1.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Holy thread archaeology, Batman... I know, I know, but....

Anyone ever seen a Territory in a grey (ideally Carbon)? Would like to add one as a travel hat, but already having a Riverina in khaki, the standard colour options on offer from Akubra aren't good for me.

M Brown

A-List Customer
I have a Territory and a Snowy River and use to have a Cattleman.

When I work outside during appropriate felt hat weather I always wear the Territory. I added a kangaroo leather stampede strap to mine and use it regularly.
I sold the Cattleman since it was too narrow brimmed for me.

If I was buying a wide brim Akubra now, I'd get a Riverina just because I like a bit taller crown and prefer that crown crease.

But the Territory is a fantastic hat for blocking sun. And it's heavy felt that takes a beating.

Who?

Practically Family
I have nothing of real value to contribute here, but I have been wearing my Territory for two months today. By “wearing” I mean having it on my head all day and evening, except when eating meals indoors.

This is done in an effort to teach it the shape of my head. It is made of heavy felt, and has a substantial hat band, so that is happening, but not rapidly. I haven’t managed to give it a good soaking in the rain yet, as we haven’t gotten any nice steady rain during the day lately.

Yes, it is indeed “a big hat” but it does a superb job of protecting one from the sun, and also the rain. Try not to get too wrapped around the axle on the size. I guess it depends on whether the hat is viewed as a useful item or a fashion statement.

Use comes first with me, and it is a superb hat. I wish it was available in 100% beaver.

Who?

Practically Family
For those who are interested in such minutiae, I have measured the size of the vents in my Territory, by using a drill set as hole gauges.

The 1/4” drill was too large, and the 15/64” drill fit easily into each of the four vents. From this I concluded that Akubra is using 6 mm grommets in the vents.

In exchange for this priceless bit of information, I would appreciate it if someone would measure the vents in their Riverina, or any other Akubra “three-holer”. I don’t own a Riverina, nor do I have access to one.

The point of this is to compare the total area of two of the larger Territory vents to the total area of three (smaller) Riverina vents.

Science marches on.

Last edited:

Yahoody

One Too Many
Was trying to mimic Crocodile Dundee there with the "that's not a knife scene". :)

Rodeo King Hat. Decent hats but nothing special. They come with a 4-1/2 inch brim for $195.00 or a 5 inch brim (generally 4 3/4" or so, never 5") for $205.00

Rodeo King's a Western hat, stiff and built to take some serious use/abuse. The Akubra is a better felt and sweat. Just not big enough brim for my own use and conditions.

Who?

Practically Family
Rodeo King Hat. Decent hats but nothing special. They come with a 4-1/2 inch brim for $195.00 or a 5 inch brim (generally 4 3/4" or so, never 5") for $205.00

Rodeo King's a Western hat, stiff and built to take some serious use/abuse. The Akubra is a better felt and sweat. Just not big enough brim for my own use and conditions.
Thanks. I guess Akubras stop at 4” (102mm) and that’s plenty for my latitude.

Yours is still a good-looking hat, but not something I’d wear in summer in black. Wouldn’t want to bake your head.

Yahoody

One Too Many
Black in winter when it is cold. White or straw in summer. Temps hit 105F+ here on a regular basis. 115F is not unusual. Sunny here in the high desert, most days, no matter the season.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ