Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Traveller, Leisure Time, or Style Master?

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
Brrr. I'm in Central Vietnam, and it's very chilly. Having lived on the equator for decades, I've never thought about anything other than a straw or similar. But with the current trip, and another one coming up in Japan in March (cold!), I think I need a felt Akubra.

When I skim through the catalogs, the one that always strikes my eye is the Style Master -- but it IS a formal hat, and I'm probably going to want to wear mine with casual dress -- and a formal hat with casual dress always makes someone look a bit too much like a try-hard for my liking. I like a hat that doesn't say "Hey, everybody, I'm wearing a hat!".

So the two that I have in mind are the Leisure Time and the Traveller, both more causal than the Style Master. I can see that attractions of something that is close to being packable, but I must admit that the style of the Traveller doesn't really win my heart. The Leisure Time looks about right, but is not packable.

Any ideas?

I wonder why Akubra don't do more of the pliofelt range? It would be nice if they took some of their most popular products and made a traveling version (so, say, the "Stylemaster Traveller").

Sam Craig

One Too Many
I got to interview the country-swing group "Riders In The Sky" several times and when we were sitting around jaw-boning one time, I asked a couple of the guys how they kept their classic western hats safe while traveling ... we had been discussing the busy schedule they had of both over-the-road and air travel.

I was expecting some insight into the great hat luggage they used.

Ranger Doug explained they each wore their best hat because there was no sure way they found to pack them.

I would suggest if you want a nice fur felt hat, don't plan on putting it into luggage. Pick the one you like the looks of and wear it when you travel.

Sam

Edward

Bartender
That's what I tend to do, making sure I also have a few caps and other easily packed hats in my case so I have an alternative if it gets especially windy while I am away. Never had a problem with one of my felt hats going in an overhead locker with reasonable care (tbh, I think we baby our hats too often these days).

Stinkykid

New in Town
I've tried on a Traveller and I didn't like the feel of the felt as much as a regular Akubra. It's nicely soft but quite a bit thicker and doesn't have the same quality feel to me. But if you're worried about the cold maybe a Traveller would be a bit warmer to wear. Still, I'm not a fan of it.

I agree with the other posters and I don't believe any hat is packable. It's bound to stay creased and uneven after you fold it and won't go back fully to its original shape. I haven't tried doing that to a Traveller though and I'm not sure the shop would have let me.

Regular Akubra hats take a beating pretty well and it adds character over time. I'd go for the Leisure Time if that's the style you like best.

And for suitcases I have a nice tweed flat cap with Bugatti-style ear flaps which is also extremely warm. I got it from James Lock & Co hatters in London (or at least from their website).

irfan.wayang

Familiar Face
When I do an Advanced Search for threads with "Akubra" in the title, 120 of them show up.

Is that all? I would have thought there would have been a lot more.

Thanks for the words of advice, everyone. Yes, I think I tend to agree that you should get a hat that you like the look of. I think it's gonna be the Leisure Time. I notice its available in Regency Fawn without a delay in most sizes from Australian Gear for around $140.

Regarding the non existence of packable hats, I see where people are coming from -- but I've been wearing my Panama Bob Savannah, which I've had to treat quite brutally while riding a motorbike -- I figured at $29, I could afford to bash it to pieces. But even though it was never intended to be "foldable", and even though I've folded it to carry on a motorbike while doing a bit of dirt road riding in Vietnam, it's survived very well. Granted, it no longer looks the way it did when I bought it, granted it has lost its ribbon, granted it seems to have morphed into an Optimo and granted it wasn't what you'd call elegant to begin with, but the travelling iron and a bit of steam from a kettle in the hotel and it's back on its feet. Amazing!

Cheers and thanks for the input!

EggHead

Practically Family
I have Leisure Time. My impressions:

Sturdy, rain proof, casual, comfortable, not good in windy conditions (because back brim is hanging down and catches up-drafts), not packable (because it's medium stiff), brim and crown can be bashed differently, just add water and/or steam.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
You need to differentiate between whether you want a packable hat or a dress hat.

I've had a lot of "campaign" hats that have been used as pillows, packed in haversacks, kept in trunks, used to fan fires ... all sorts of things I'd never dream of doing with my Art Fawcett Fedora.

Sure, you can have beater hats you can toss in luggage. Any decent canvas fedora will take that and pop back for use. But you seem to be discussing dress hats, and those should never be packed.

Not to change the subject, but EggHead ... that is one fine looking lid in your Avatar. Is that new? What is it?

Later,

Sam

Duper

Practically Family
I have the Traveller in the sand colour and I like it very much. A very soft felt but a bit thicker. Casual. I would like it even more if it had a leather sweatband. I packed it in my luggage for a trip to the UK from Canada and it survived no worse for the journey. I noticed recently that they have really expanded the colour options for the Traveller.

If you are into the Leisure Time which is a very similar style you might want to check it our with Sam over at Everything Australian. His hat is priced significantly less than $140.00.

Now I also own an Akubra Casual which is from their Lifestyle line and the felt on that hat is significantly thinner and lighter so if you wanted a hat with a smaller brim and more along the Stylemaster than that is another option, but it is more formal looking.

Hope you find the one you like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
islamicjankari