Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra vs Borsalino Quality

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
I have not owned Akubra but the two modern Borsalino hats I own are made of very, very light felt that is not stiff. About as light and un-stiff as any production hat you're likely to find. The Akubra hats, I'm told, are quite stiff by comparison and a bit heavier.

I think if you really like a sturdy hat that holds its shape firmly you would not care much for the Borsalinos. For my part, the light and soft felt is their biggest selling point and I doubt I'd care for an Akubra.

Apples to oranges....
Akubras are tough, using hats of service.
Borsos are hats of fashion.
A Borso Alessandria is like a Stratoliner & the Akubra Campdraft is like an Open Road. Styled the same but different.
One does not replace the other, IMHO.

job

One Too Many
I'm starting to feel that both are at the top of the list of hat manufacturers. I have both and really like them. If there is a chance of rain I will select the Akubra every time. They are tough hats and that is probably due to them mixing in wild hare. I also don't worry as much when it cost half as much as the Borsalino. That being said, I will not hesitate to buy more Borsalinos like the Film or Alessandria.

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Beneath our radiant Southern Cross
We'll toil with hearts and hands;
To make this Commonwealth of ours
Renowned of all the lands;
For those who've come across the seas
We've boundless plains to share;
With courage let us all combine
To Advance Australia Fair

Akubra Forever!

Still, Borsalinos are nice too :)

Sam

wgiceman

One of the Regulars
Quality is multifaceted, and both brands have their pros and cons. You'll need to be more specific.

I am choosing between the Akubra Sydney and the Borsalino Como. I am looking for something that will go well with dark suits. Based on the input already given, it appears the Como would be the better fit. I already have a Squatter, and I agree that the Akubras are some tough hats. I was wondering if the Sydney would be a nice dress hat, though. Honestly, I like both of them.

jbucklin

Practically Family
The Como seems to be blocked with more taper to the crown than the Sydney, judging by the photos I've seen. I don't own either one btw. Have you checked out the photos of the Sydney at David Morgan's website?

carldelo

One Too Many
I had a Sydney for a while - a nice hat, but pretty stiff. It came open-crowned and really needed to be watered to hold a bash - a dry bash just popped out. A nice soft Borso wouldn't have that problem. Also, the brim on the Sydney actually made a noise when snapped down in front, where a Borso would not. Of course over time the Akubra would soften up, but the Borso would be pliable from the beginning. For going with a suit, I would personally prefer the Borsalino, but I love a soft hat.

Brent Hutto

One of the Regulars
One day there'll probably be a pair of those ongoing threads...one for "Stiff Hat Lovers United" and one for "Softies Only".

For my part, I'm a Softie forever. Or is it a Cream Puff. I never can remember which.

m0nk

One Too Many
I have to agree with the majority of the posts; it really depends on what you're after. Both are quality hat makers, though Akubra is more utility and Borsalino is more dress. Over time, Akubra hats that come stiff will soften, and therefore will wear easier after some initial breaking in, though they will still not look as fashionable as a new Borsalino. Of course, I would grab an Akubra for any weather situation and would reserve a Borsalino for more of a dress occasion. Both could exist side by side on my shelf, along with everyt style in between.

job

One Too Many
I have three Akubras. 2 of them being the Bogart and Stylemaster. Well made hats with soft quality sweatbands. Probably the best deals for a quality hat to be had. At the time I got mine they were $95.00 each while a comparable Stetson would cost $150.00. That's why I don't own a Stetson. My Borsalino Alessandrias felt is thin and easy to shape without water. It's soft felt makes you want another one and another one.

Joe Rotax

Familiar Face
I've been thinking about this Akubra as a beater for bad weather days because it's about half the price of my Stetson and that includes shipping from Oz. Not sold on it yet though as I prefer a cattleman crease.

AKU013.jpg

MrAcheson

New in Town
Akubra makes hats with that brim size and a cattleman's crease. I believe the Bronc, Outback Club, and the Arena would all probably fit the bill.

They are two different animals. I do believe that if you are looking for a "starter" hat or one you will put thru some abuse the Akubra has the edge as it is fairly to very inexpensive in comparison. Akubra represents a really good value.

seed

Familiar Face
Boy! I've been out of the loop for a minute, but it wasn't that long ago when most people (by far) here did not like modern Borsalinos, due to quality slippage to the point that they were considered poor in quality. Akubras, on the other hand were always held in high esteem for their reasonable price and solid toughness. Has anything changed in the last year or two to alter this perception?

VetPsychWars

A-List Customer
Perhaps different people. :) My modern Borsalinos are quite nice, though I have handled some nearly-new vintage that were amazing. I don't consider my Akubra Campdrafts to be "fine dress hats" and save them for rainy days.

Tom

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
Am I the only one who wears Akubras as dress hats? I wear my Fed IV (deluxe) and used to wear its predecessor (regular) with a suit nearly every day and I've never found them any more casual than other hats just because they're sturdy and hard wearing. The heritage quality felt on the Fed IV is quite soft anyway and can be creased without needing any water.

Therefore my advice would always be to go for an Akubra. They look good once you get the right crease and they are nearly indestructible. The only possible downside is the stiff felt but that softens over time and isn't as stiff on heritage quality hats.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner