Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Woomera

Here's that Edge Ridge Band sold by David Morgan being put on a Pilbara by Akubra , but I'm not a fan of glue (but its easiest) , a few stitches aren't too tough ... (But the Beaded looks Great , too) ...

I've had good luck with tying or cinching hat bands in place about 1" above where they will set, then working them down into place evenly. They will usually stay in place then without any stitching or glue. Obviously I am excluding ribbons & pugs from this method.

I had this one that always slid off , I figured I should have sewn a stitch or two.

It was raining as I loaded the dogs and two straw hats in the truck at the farm. I was five miles down a ten-mile-an-hour dirt road when I noticed that my Scala "Panama" didn't look quite right. I hope the leather band slipped off while I had the hat upside-down on the table and is not in the driveway getting a week of rain before I get back there again. :eek:

I didn't realize it wasn't stitched or glued. :(

28379252424_84f531055e_z.jpg

To keep this somewhat on topic, I do have an extra Akubra band I can use if needed.

I 've been waiting to see this one. Any ideas on how you will shape it?
My favorite Old West style crease is the Gus, Tom Horn, Tom Mix style & I have several. At 6.7" the Woomera crown is almost too tall on me for those anyway. That's why the horseshoe worked out great for me when I sunk the crown to 5.75" level. And I really like the look of the round barrel-like horseshoe crown with only the dip in front & no pinches or dents. So when I ordered a Woomera in black that was the plan. I've given some thought to other creases but haven't come up with an idea I like better. At any rate I'll flatten the brim with a pencil curl. Still looking to change out the ribbon to a band on the Sandtone & probably will on the black one as well if I can find something I like.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Right out of the box for some natural light pictures before it rains. Black Woomera with a black ribbon. Beautiful feather if you like feathers.

5y9d02.jpg

2dkfp54.jpg

2ef23io.jpg

1zr2jxy.jpg

I hope to have some time to begin shaping it on Friday.

2dawsoz.jpg

2m6juya.jpg
Great looking hats. An odd question. Does it have that ring around the crown some people are talking about? What vendor did you get it from?
Again, great hat. Wear it in good health.
Johnny

Great looking hats. An odd question. Does it have that ring around the crown some people are talking about? What vendor did you get it from?
Again, great hat. Wear it in good health.
Johnny
Johnny, I believe the ring that has recently been discussed common to open crown Akubras is where the crown breaks at the brim, seen on the brim just outside of the ribbon. I have seen that on other Akubra hats but none of mine have shown that ring. This hat does not show that ring.

There is a ring visible about 2-1/2 - 3" up on the front part only of the crown which I believe will brush or steam out. I believe that was caused by the friction between the ring on the hat box & the cardboard keeper ring that was inserted inside the hat around the sweat & liner. The crown was covered with a "shower cap" but the cardboard keeper ring was quite tight & I believe the friction between the two caused friction on the crown between them during shipping.

Maybe its bcuz I've never seen anything like it before but that black Woomera is just so striking to me, as is.
Thank you Bob. I think it's the beautiful feather with the red in it that really sets it off. At 6.7" it is a tall crown; too tall for me to wear as an open crown. And I've never been a fan of big rolled fenders on the brim. But I am a fan of black western hats especially in the cold winter time.

Bob Roberts

I'll Lock Up
Thank you Bob. I think it's the beautiful feather with the red in it that really sets it off. At 6.7" it is a tall crown; too tall for me to wear as an open crown. And I've never been a fan of big rolled fenders on the brim. But I am a fan of black western hats especially in the cold winter time.
Wlcm Jack. Just never seen anything like it before so I enjoy just looking at it. Hope you find some good use for those feathers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112