Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Akubra Woomera

I'll sharpen the crease up a bit & take better pics after I do the brim.

5dnsbp.jpg

2yngk6x.jpg

Thank you guys. I was using only the natural light thru a kitchen window & trying to shoot close ups with just an iPad camera, so the pics aren't great. Too many shadows.

Michael, I think you are correct; after having done one I think you can get away with losing just slightly <1" crown height. If I were to do it again on the Woomera I would first sink the crown & bring the sides down to 5-3/4" level all the way around instead of 5-1/2" as I did.

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
I like 5 3/4" Crowns to 6" Creased in Westerns , unless going with Peaks or Other Tall Top Crown Styles . You're doing a Great Job HJ ! Do you work Cheap ? ;)

I should correct that , I like 5" creased and up depending on the Hat and the crease .

Mm25

One Too Many
Honestly, you're making feel guilty for going with a simple Conagher crease

I'm going to sip some tequilla and see if this feeling passes or if I have to go make steam.

I'm going to sip some tequilla and see if this feeling passes or if I have to go make steam.
No need to feel guilty or change anything! If you want to modify it just slightly but still take advantage of the tall crown I would try a sloped Brushpopper. Make note that on most of these styles you need to lower the sides of the brim just a bit. You wouldn't have to do anything with the packer draw of the brim in front or back. Plenty of headroom for deep dents.

2ps5e2t.jpg

Last edited:
Any ideas yet?

Well, it's sat on the rack with an OC since I gave it a bath as I've pondered what kinda shape I want to put in it. Definitely gonna bring the crown down some as a really tall crown doesn't suit me. Maybe a simple telescope or if I'm adventurous enough, one like you've just done. I've been studying the chart, it's just in this weather I haven't got in a hurry to deal with a big, heavy hat. That, and I've made an art of procrastination.

I admit that it's kind of counterproductive to be making steam in an air conditioned house this time of yr. I like the looks of this horseshoe from the front. I think I'm going to like It as something different. I don't have any round flattop type creases. I'd buy another Woomera if the color selection was better.

It has arrived. Put a quick dry bash on it and snapped a few pics. First thought is that this is a big Hat! Hard to take a pic where the hat dosen't look overpowering, but in person it doesn't seem that way. I'll flatten the brim a bit also, when I get around to it.

Joe, I have some pics of Ben Johnson to post coming up but I thought his crease in this pic closely resembles your's on the Woomera.

9uuo9e.jpg

wedgetail

New in Town
Wow HJ - that looks really pro, flawless in fact... It must be a good looking hat overall now - any shots of it worn? What have you done to the brim?

Hey I wouldn't feel guilty at all - it looks great! Doesn't matter if it was easy to do, it's all about the end result. Sometimes the best bashes are the simplest... If you're happy the looks leave as is I would!
I have the same thought about the Sombrero...
Yeah the colour range is poor for sure, but I do quite like it - definitely darker than the classic akubra fawn. I ordered one as I want a pencil curl with a decent brim but also the colour is a plus for me as it's good for not showing dirt. I'm working on it at the moment, not sure whether to put the pics in the western thread or akubra thread though... Don't want to pollute this pure woomera thread - it's too cool!

Michael R.

Call Me a Cab
Yeah the colour range is poor for sure, but I do quite like it - definitely darker than the classic akubra fawn. I ordered one as I want a pencil curl with a decent brim but also the colour is a plus for me as it's good for not showing dirt. I'm working on it at the moment, not sure whether to put the pics in the western thread or akubra thread though... Don't want to pollute this pure woomera thread - it's too cool!

Put it on Both , guys will want to see it . Spencer (Dinerman) posted his Sombrero in a few places , and it was cool , looked like a 1920s wide Brim with a kettle curl . Wedgetail are you back down under , yet ?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner