Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alden 405 Indy Size vs RM Williams Size

OneStar

New in Town
In my opinion we in Sydney are starved of quality footwear. The only local brand I like to wear is RM Williams and I have a few pairs of their boots. I wear size 10G (G being their standard width) in the RM Williams boots but have my eye on a pair of Alden Indy 405s. I was wondering if one of the Loungers could recommend what Alden size I should go for in the Indys. Normally an Australian size 10 equates to a USA size 11; however I have heard that you normally go down a size in the Indy last (IE I should chose a size 10.5 in the Indys).

Does anyone know if Alden shoes are sold anywhere in Sydney?

Thanks

ctforman

New in Town
I usually wear a USA size 11EEE. The 10 1/2 EEE Alden 405 fits me perfectly. I live near one of the largest Alden retailers (Shoemart in Norwalk,
Connecticut). I go there frequently and I would be happy to ask them if they have any further suggestions as to fit. Aldens are terrific, my high
mileage workhorse dress shoes are almost 30 years old and still look and feel great.

You might also look at White's Boots out of Oregon. They do semi-custom boots using foot tracing and leg measurements. I have a pair of White's and they are superior quality too. Not sure if White's ships international.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
There are no Alden dealers according to their site but this store will ship to Oz and they're very knowledgeable about sizing. As noted above, the folks at Shoemart are very knowledgeable about fit as well but I'm not sure if they ship to Oz.

ctforman

New in Town
Shoe Mart

OneStar:

I stopped into Shoemart today and spoke with my man Bob. He can guide you through the Alden 405 sizing. His email
is bobpotts@optonline.net and they do ship to Australia.

They have some really nice Aldens, especially a shell cordovan 405 in a deep Burgundy color that is just a beautiful piece of work.
Alas it does not come in my size.

Ask Bob about seconds. The Alden factory is not too far North of here and Shoemart gets a fair amount of the seconds in
stock. I've bought a few pairs as seconds and have been happy with all of them, especially at 1/3 to 1/2 off the ticket price.

Hope this helps.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
and they do ship to Australia.
I wonder if it's free like they offer in the States.....probably not.....

I haven't been to Shoemart in years. There was a shop next door that had Scottish cashmere sweaters at great prices.....can't remember the name.

ctforman

New in Town
I imagine that they will have to charge to ship to Australia. Shoemart sits all by itself on a little dead end street in Norwalk. You
must have been there back in the day when Shoemart was still in Bridgeport. Seems like its been ages now.

Could not find any Aldens today. They did have a Wolverine 1000 mile boot in my size that I snapped up. It's no Alden 405, but it
is a pretty nice boot for the money.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Shoemart sits all by itself on a little dead end street in Norwalk. You must have been there back in the day when Shoemart was still in Bridgeport.
No, same place but I always thought that little dead end street was a parking lot. [huh] The store I was thinking of was called Decker's which, it appears, is now a furniture store.

OneStar

New in Town
Many thanks to you all for your advice. Actually Tomasso, it is Soul Leather in Hawaii that I am working with. They seem like great people. I am just trying to best-guess the size they need to reserve for me before I arrive there in early December. Based on what has been said the 405 tends to run a half a size large so instead of the standard US size 11D, I think I will take a punt on 10.5D. Thanks for your info ctforman.

During my visit stateside, I intend to work out my Alden sizing in all their last-types so that I can in the future buy with confidence from companies such as Shoemart. (I will be in the Philadelphia/NYC area later in December). Until I establish my size, it would be too much of a risk. They do ship internationally (of course for a fee) but will not accept returns (understandably); so I have to be accurate with my orders.

Once again, thank you all.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats