Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

alexander leathers jacket's fit

Dodo

Familiar Face
Looking for a "cheaper option" I found the outlet page of Alexander leather. Did anybody buy one of them? is the fit true to size? I mean if I'm a 40 I can buy a 40 size or 40 is the measurements of outside of the jacket so i need to buy one full size up? Reading in their description it looks like second option but it sound strange to me.
thanks for helping me
Dodo

Grayland

Call Me a Cab
I keep up with the AL Outlet page as well. Great deals. In the last month or so, it appears they changed they way they list the chest measurement of jackets. They used to list the actual pit to pit measurement, now, they simply list the chest measurement as whatever the jacket size is. So, a size 40 jacket is listed as Chest: 40, a 44 size jacket is listed as Chest: 44. I find it puzzling as I'm certain a size 40 jacket doesn't have a 20-inch pit to pit. Not sure why they do that, but I imagine they would give you the actual pit to pit if you contacted them.

Plumbline

One Too Many
I find they are a little neater than my suit size ... I wear a 42S suit and a very neat fit would be a 42 Alexanders with 1" off the length and sleeve ...... I like things a little looser and generally have a 44 (short ) in an Alexanders "neat" fitting jacket e.g. Halfbelt, Detroit etc. but go down to a 42" for the looser / more boxy jackets e.g. Roadster / Lavant.

If you phone Amanda she will provide sizes and measurements from stock / outlet jackets if you need them ..... as will all of the manufacturers, insurrection will even send you a "fit" jacket :D :D

Last edited:

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
You need to ignore the size. Sizes are not standard. What you need to focus on is the measurements you require for a good fit. For me, for example, it is 20 inch shoulders, 27 inch back, 23 in pit to pit, 26 inch sleeve. You can't go wrong if you do this. I have an Alexanders in a 44. Depending on the jacket company I get the jacket from I am everything from a 40 to a 46 - size is somewhat arbitrary.

morrison2951

Practically Family
Agreed Seb. And you have listed my measurements exactly as well- usually a 44 if you ever want to gift me something! Ha ha ha

l0fielectronic

Practically Family
Im normally a 44 too and I have a 44 which fits well from them and then soon after bought a 46 in a slightly different style as I liked the 44 a lot but wanted a looser jacket for layering - the 46 was indeed a little roomy but good for such. So in my experience yes, true to size but I dare say that jackets will vary on fit depending on style.

hyptul

Familiar Face
My brother has four of their jackets (42R). Three jackets match the size, and one jacket (a-2) rather corresponds to the size 40R.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I went a size up as I found them to run a bit small. I usually have 40/42 in other jackets but bought a 44 from the discount page. I asked for the measurements of the actual jacket and checked them. They were helpful in supplying this information but it would make sense for it to be included on the site. I think the jacket style and how you want it to fir will come in to play when deciding but as a loose guide I would say go a size up from what you normally have.

I liked the Roadster that I ordered.

schitzo

Suspended
I went a size up as I found them to run a bit small. I usually have 40/42 in other jackets but bought a 44 from the discount page. I asked for the measurements of the actual jacket and checked them. They were helpful in supplying this information but it would make sense for it to be included on the site. I think the jacket style and how you want it to fir will come in to play when deciding but as a loose guide I would say go a size up from what you normally have.

I liked the Roadster that I ordered.

I went a size up on a roadster based on the same thinking and found it was a size too big, though wearable. Then I got one in my correct size and was very pleased with the fit. If you can be bothered trawling through my old threads there are pics of me wearing both. It is a snugger fit than an Aero highwayman but in my experience - and I did try several on during my visit - they fit true to size. If you want something that fits looser then perhaps try a different model. I tried a number of dakotas on in various sizes and leathers and my experience is that one size up is advisable for those. Mine, that I got measured for in house was in fact 2 sizes up, though the kudu used was incredibly thick and in retrospect that may have had some bearing. Looking back, I can also say that the shoulders on that one were a smidge wider than necessary ergo one size up probably would have hit the nail on the head there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran