Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Alexander Leathers

Nathan Flowers

Head Bartender
Staff member
I think this user is bona fide. We'll get some more info from Alexander Leathers soon. For now, yes, please post some pics!

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Guys

Insert usual "long term lurker...blah blah blah".

Having picked up a cafe racer just on a year ago the new jacket itch is kicking in again, I was initially looking at an Aero Highwayman....having had my head in the sand I only just discovered the whole HH Steer-hide saga etc that lead to Alexander leathers starting up.

Long story short, the dust "seems" to have settled "somewhat" and a few of the members here have purchased Alexander Leathers. Just curious as to the thoughts now on the comparative quality of Alexander vs Aero?

I've had a few emails with Aero and tbh, they must still be VERY busy as it takes a few days for them to get back to me. They also seem much less interested in customisation nowadays with combinations that FL members have posted here that look great being refused.

Plus its always good to keep your options open.

So, any owners of both brands care to comment on quality comparisons?

Thanks

schitzo

Suspended
Hi Guys

Insert usual "long term lurker...blah blah blah".

Having picked up a cafe racer just on a year ago the new jacket itch is kicking in again, I was initially looking at an Aero Highwayman....having had my head in the sand I only just discovered the whole HH Steer-hide saga etc that lead to Alexander leathers starting up.

Long story short, the dust "seems" to have settled "somewhat" and a few of the members here have purchased Alexander Leathers. Just curious as to the thoughts now on the comparative quality of Alexander vs Aero?

I've had a few emails with Aero and tbh, they must still be VERY busy as it takes a few days for them to get back to me. They also seem much less interested in customisation nowadays with combinations that FL members have posted here that look great being refused.

Plus its always good to keep your options open.

So, any owners of both brands care to comment on quality comparisons?

Thanks

AL are the ex aero staff, and presumably they put the jackets together on the same machines. I've got both and construction wise there is, as you'd expect, no discernible difference. At least to my amateur eye there isn't

The biggest differences - as far as I can tell - are that aero have FQHH and a long queue. At the moment AL doesn't have either.

I think aero has more models out there, which will continue when the shedload of new arrivals are dropped in April. On the other side of that coin it would seem that AL are more open to indulging customisations.

Bottom line, if you buy a jacket from either I doubt you'll be disappointed

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
AL are the ex aero staff, and presumably they put the jackets together on the same machines. I've got both and construction wise there is, as you'd expect, no discernible difference. At least to my amateur eye there isn't

The biggest differences - as far as I can tell - are that aero have FQHH and a long queue. At the moment AL doesn't have either.

I think aero has more models out there, which will continue when the shedload of new arrivals are dropped in April. On the other side of that coin it would seem that AL are more open to indulging customisations.

Bottom line, if you buy a jacket from either I doubt you'll be disappointed

Hmm what seems to be a fair and reasonable comment on a very thorny topic... who would have thought.

majormajor

One Too Many
I only just discovered the whole HH Steer-hide saga etc that lead to Alexander leathers starting up.

the dust "seems" to have settled "somewhat"

Hi PN. Welcome to the forum.

A couple of clarifications for you, my friend.

Firstly, the "HH Steer-hide saga" did NOT lead to Alexander Leathers starting up. The parting of ways of certain individuals from Aero took place BEFORE any announcement from Aero/Horween took place. Furthermore, the Alexander Leather Co was incorporated well before the announcement.

Secondly, the dust has certainly not settled. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth;)

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Secondly, the dust has certainly not settled. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth;)

I think he just means that the whining on here has died down a bit of late. He did use inverted commas, and the words 'seems' & 'somewhat' indicate measured trepidation do they not

Of course, conceivably there remain members who would like nothing more than to sink their claws back into this issue, alas to their frustration, the moderators have them by the short and curlys - as what will and will not be tolerated on these pages has been spelt out in no uncertain terms.

And so a seemingly inconspicuous thread/question becomes conspicuous by a notable lack of answers/comment. The silence isn't deafening, but as silences go I'd call it a pretty loud one

Last edited:
Whining..?? ..No..I think that there are just those who still feel ripped off (for devious reasons) that are difficult to understand. Then there are those who seem to dismiss it all as 'so sad..too bad' and willing to overlook anything 'Old Management' obviously conspired to do...or even whether that manager was guilty of anything at all. Kind of a slap in the face to those involved and inspires the war of discontent and bitterness to enter into a thread again. In my view..the bartenders understand why members are quite upset...but are only trying to quell the battle being fought in 'every' Aero or Alexander thread.
The attitude of 'Oh well'..'So what'..and remarks of whining just inflames the otherside again..and reasonably so.
The dust certainly has not settled. Especially if you poo poo the other side..and claim that they are the ones who must keep their mouths shut.
HD

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
Well low and behold my first AL arrived here 5 mins ago. A Drifter 54" steerhide, yes I am a big guy and I will not be posting any pictures. At £300 it is a steal, looks and feels good. IMO every bit as good as an Aero. Ordered it on Wednesday last week arrived at my door in OZ less than a week later. Not unhappy about that.

Fit is slightly trimmer than Aero. Enough room for a thick jumper when riding my bike in the winter months. I was waiting until I lost a bit of weight to get my next Aero but who was I kidding.
Got the AL originally as a stop gap as I could not resist the price. But more than happy with the purchase so in the long run I have ended up saving a quid or two.

As for Aero vs AL I guess I am not that fussed. I take things as I find them. My first experience with AL has been positive all round. Aero are a great company as well. So in the words of someone much wiser than me "pay your money and take your chance".

Last edited:

schitzo

Suspended
Whining..?? ..No..I think that there are just those who still feel ripped off (for devious reasons) that are difficult to understand. Then there are those who seem to dismiss it all as 'so sad..too bad' and willing to overlook anything 'Old Management' obviously conspired to do...or even whether that manager was guilty of anything at all. Kind of a slap in the face to those involved and inspires the war of discontent and bitterness to enter into a thread again. In my view..the bartenders understand why members are quite upset...but are only trying to quell the battle being fought in 'every' Aero or Alexander thread.
The attitude of 'Oh well'..'So what'..and remarks of whining just inflames the otherside again..and reasonably so.
The dust certainly has not settled. Especially if you poo poo the other side..and claim that they are the ones who must keep their mouths shut.
HD

HD, I definitely have seen whining on here, and also older men making catty comments that to be frank I felt were cringe-worthy at the time. Nonetheless, I'm not gonna dig those up just to qualify that. If you prefer to see it another way then so be it.

But that last bit about 'poo pooing the other side' implies I have a side. I don't. And as you may already know I currently have an order with each company,

Evidently something has gone on - but since I'm not in a position to know about that - I am willing to reserve my judgement as I can't see any other viable option. Apparently, behind the scenes there are people 'in the know' who know stuff, but I'm not one of them, and I don't know what they know, or think they know, and since nobody is telling me, I don't think I can be expected to revise my position

And so for now I'll remain a neutral observer and then once the beans are eventually spilled it's possible of course that I might just wind up with a different perspective

frussell

One Too Many
LeFonque - As a fellow big boy (52-54), I wish you'd reconsider and post photos. Other than the brave Worf, it's not often I get to see what a custom leather jacket looks like on someone my size. If things don't go well with my Aero steerhorse replacement jacket, I might well be looking at Alexander Leathers, especially if they do big sizes. Congratulations, Frank

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
LeFonque - As a fellow big boy (52-54), I wish you'd reconsider and post photos. Other than the brave Worf, it's not often I get to see what a custom leather jacket looks like on someone my size. If things don't go well with my Aero steerhorse replacement jacket, I might well be looking at Alexander Leathers, especially if they do big sizes. Congratulations, Frank

You know I did think about posting a picture however after seeing some of the comments that plumb line copped after posting his pictures I thought what is the point. I am sensitive about my weight at the best of times.

So having a lot of people telling me they think I should or should have bought does not thrill me. I thought as long as I am happy about what I have is all that matters. But thanks for the request.

Last edited:

LeFonque

One of the Regulars
8f16305b-f284-4ac0-b757-8c4d68954ab0.jpg

Well here goes. May not such a wimp after all.

Last edited:

Scotia_steve

New in Town
The drifter I great. For some reason reminds me of that famous Bob Dylan album cover.

I was looking at Aero for a few months, a "lurker" here until Sun. But I also by chance seen AL at the bike show, had no intention I buying and now have two AL jackets, a buffalo roadster and a brown heavy steer roadster. Now my only comparison is a Schott jacket and the quality difference is breathtaking.

I'd still like a Horween fqhh highwayman from Aero, but given the price difference and wait I went with AL. I will likely buy fom both!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner