Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Right Next Challege For Everyone...

DBLIII

One of the Regulars
These people deal in some Safari gear --
www.drake.net

I can't comment on their firearms as I do not have that level of money, but I have seen their leather goods and they are very nice.

Mycroft

One Too Many
I acually am going to Africa soon, thanks for this thread.

For more random stuff (knives etc.) : http://www.sieglers.com/

For a rifle, I would take my Lee-Enfiled Mark III No. 1
Shooters Sticks would be useful and a good field bag, and if you want to go in style a linen suit like the ones people wear in Cayro.

Here is a good site: http://www.tagsafari.com/

Another goodie would be a great vest for a camera, film, bullets, food, binocs etc. The best for a vest is Orvis

Mycroft

One Too Many
zeus36 said:
Click on the "KNIVES" link in the left frame of the british campaign funiture website. Looks like they cater to the rich!

$995 for a Kukri?? and those aren't GBP prices.

Siligers(see link abovew from me) has alot cheaper ones.

How about a K-bar knife or Mil-issued macettee (they work like a tree for chopping small trees down too).

zeus36

A-List Customer
Mycroft said:
Siligers(see link abovew from me) has alot cheaper ones.

How about a K-bar knife or Mil-issued macettee (they work like a tree for chopping small trees down too).

I tend to carry two to three Spydercos in street clothes, a Leatherman in the motorcycle saddlebag and one big Camilius Cuda Maxx at work. (moddified for tip-up carry and WAVE draw from the front pocket)

I have several Mil-issued machete by Ontario. I carried one during my Aircrew Survival school training when everyone else had their issue pilot survival knife. I also had a Cold Steel San Mai Tanto as a backup. They snickered at the machete until it was time to build shelters ! Then everyone wanted to be my "pal"...

Lion

New in Town
If you're going to go vintage with the rest of the outfit, why not the knives as well? Well, probaly not actual vintage (Exsoensive!), but modern with a vintage look. I'd recomend both a folder and a fixed blade. The two paired together was a pretty common recomendation.

With folders you can either get a slip-joint or a locking knife. If you want a slip-joint, there are a lot of options. Queen, Case, Camillus, Schatt & Morgan and Moore Maker are some very popular production makers. Queen is my personal favorite. If you want a locking knife, there are less period options, but still a number of them. Queen's Mountain Man Lockback (Schatt & Morgan, owned by Queen, have some versions too) would be an excelent choice. Its a replica of a very popular Remington Bullet knife from the 1920's. A. G. Russell has a nice version as well. Its their Yellow Delrin?Ç¬Æ Folding Hunter. Queen also makes a Teardrop Jack with an old-style liner-lock. Unlike modern liner-locks, the lock isn't there to keep the knife open, but to keep it from closing acidentaly. The knife's backspring is ment to do the work. The liner-lock is just an extra safety feature. Opinels would be another way to go. There are more options, but I'm allready getting long-winded enough.

I'll try to keep fixed blades shorter. Marble's Woodcraft was a popular knife during the time and is still available. Queen makes a version as well; their Light Hunter Skinner. Marble's Ideal, Trailcraft, Sport, Plainsman or Fieldcraft would all be apropriate. Any of the Queen Light Hunters. Case has a leather handled drop point, #518, that looks nice. A Scandi blade would work too. Anything from an $11 wood handled Mora on up. Just keep in mind, that the outdoor writers of the time did not promote large knives. Flat ground blades of 3 to 6 inches were prefered. Carying a larger knife is both an older and newer idea.

Leo

Blackjack

One Too Many
I think Indy carried a Smith 2nd model Hand Ejector ( and a Browning High Power) but if you don't want to have to go to a vitage gun show to get outfitted take a look at USAF's snubnose single action with a 4 in barrel in .45 long colt. That would be an Indy gun for sure. And if your lookin for a vintage flashlight, take a look at these http://www.lehmans.com/shopping/pro...DUCT&iMainCat=669&iSubCat=687&iProductID=6090

Virgil Ante

New in Town
how about the hat

Akubra still makes their military slouch hat. Just unsnap it, bend it a bit, then wear it through the desert for a few months.

You can still buy new Brunton compasses, but I'll bet ebay has some cool brass ones.

Also if you haunt the gun shows you might find one of those big ass old Webly revolvers they issued to British tropical troops. Definetly an Africa item.

You can still get the African cooking pots somewhere too, but I haven't looked for them for years. (look like the leprichaun's gold pot)

Several dealers still sell nice bush jackets too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo