Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All the McCoys

Motocann

One Too Many
I haven't really paid that much attention to RMC as a jacket maker, as I thought they mostly did military aviator reproductions, and I'm more of a motorcycle and car coat kind of guy, and they're very expensive, even used. I recently noticed a gorgeous two-tone MC jacket on yahoo japan, but too small for me, and learned from this that they do make some motorcycle styles, so I'm starting to investigate...

I have noticed that there seems to be a number of "McCoy" related(?) brands:

Toys McCoy
Real McCoys
Joe McCoy

Is there somewhere I can read a definitive history of these and how they are related?

Here's some photos of that jacket:

View attachment 176312 View attachment 176313
View attachment 176311
That is a really cool "vintage inspired" motorcycle jacket! I would remove the belt though.

dudewuttheheck

I'll Lock Up
I was ready to give some info, but of course @Blackadder beat me to it :D

The fun thing about it is that as mentioned, it's more than just McCoy's :D Freewheelers has its roots with McCoys and supposedly Rainbow Country too.

Last edited:

Mysteryo

One Too Many
I haven't really paid that much attention to RMC as a jacket maker, as I thought they mostly did military aviator reproductions, and I'm more of a motorcycle and car coat kind of guy, and they're very expensive, even used. I recently noticed a gorgeous two-tone MC jacket on yahoo japan, but too small for me, and learned from this that they do make some motorcycle styles, so I'm starting to investigate...

I have noticed that there seems to be a number of "McCoy" related(?) brands:

Toys McCoy
Real McCoys
Joe McCoy

Is there somewhere I can read a definitive history of these and how they are related?

Here's some photos of that jacket:

View attachment 176312 View attachment 176313
View attachment 176311
HI all, i first saw this jacket in an early issue of Clutch magazine "look good in Leather" session.
I immediately fell for this jacket!
Unknown maker, mix between cafe racer and flight jacket, dated to the 30's.
it seems this jacket is the property of Harry McKaughan, owner of brand Heller's Cafe.
Here's the original

30's 2t jacket.jpg

He reproduced it under his own brand, and then somehow it was olso reproduced by Toys McCoys.
As I'm also a europeean sized guy, I had no chance to get one of those.

Then I stumbled on this version made by Austrian brand Whitefeather, and I asked him if he could made one for me!
Here's the result. not 100% accurate, but I love this jacket, the fit is great and he used a very nice Vincenza HH, on the light side (2,5oz, I guess).

I think it's the easiest way tho get one nice repro of this jacket, and Fardin the owner is a sweet person.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/whitefeathers-30s-aviator-cafe-racer-lukas-jacket.91065/

30's 2t jacket.jpg IMG_2516.jpg IMG_2517.jpg IMG_2518.jpg IMG_2519.jpg IMG_2520.jpg IMG_2521.jpg IMG_2522.jpg IMG_2524.jpg

Imuricecreamman

One Too Many
HI all, i first saw this jacket in an early issue of Clutch magazine "look good in Leather" session.
it seems this jacket is the property of Harry McKaughan, owner of brand Heller's Cafe.
Here's the original

View attachment 209118

He reproduced it under his own brand, and then somehow it was olso reproduced by Toys McCoys.

Then I stumbled on this version made by Austrian brand Whitefeather, and I asked him if he could made one for me!
Here's the result. not 100% accurate, but I love this jacket, the fit is great and he used a very nice Vincenza HH, on the light side (2,5oz, I guess).

I think it's the easiest way tho get one nice repro of this jacket, and Fardin the owner is a sweet person.

https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/whitefeathers-30s-aviator-cafe-racer-lukas-jacket.91065/

View attachment 209118 View attachment 209119 View attachment 209120 View attachment 209121 View attachment 209122 View attachment 209123 View attachment 209124 View attachment 209125 View attachment 209127

That is a great job! Need some fit pics :)

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
Here's the original

View attachment 209118

View attachment 209118 View attachment 209119 View attachment 209120 View attachment 209121 View attachment 209122 View attachment 209123 View attachment 209124 View attachment 209125 View attachment 209127

Wow, great bit of research, Mysteryo!

Bfd70

I'll Lock Up
Here's the original

View attachment 209118

Fit pics man!

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
My nearly two year search for this jacket is just about over. Now to wait a few weeks for DHL.

This one came up on yahoo japan auctions, and I quite randomly stumbled on it with 7 hours to go and 0 bids in. Oddly, it didn't come up when I searched for it with "mccoy leather jacket" but it DID come up when I searched for "freewheelers leather jacket". There were 24 watching the listing, but I ended up being the only bidder, and got it for 98000 yen.

It's a size 44, and the measurements in the listing indicate it runs snug, which means it should fit me just about perfectly. It looks brand new, but the listing description says that this model was from 2000-01. I don't have any information about whether this design was produced in any other years, but for it to be that old and in what looks like unworn condition, it's a fantastic find. I know the Japanese culture values taking care of their possessions, and most of the stuff I've bought from Japanese sellers is in better condition than described, with even the stuff they describe as B grade looking like it hasn't been worn more than once.

I notice in reviewing the photos I've found that this jacket appears to have been made in a couple of color schemes, some appear to have black body panels while others appear to have what looks like seal brown body panels with lighter brown sleeves and belt. This one is apparently a seal body. I really can't say which I like better, both look fantastic, and I doubt I'll find another one for sale if I wait another two years.

i-img1200x900-16197940653j5csz188677.jpg i-img1200x900-1619794074cvkajg194060.jpg i-img1200x900-1619794084gi9bpf259383.jpg

nick123

I'll Lock Up
My nearly two year search for this jacket is just about over. Now to wait a few weeks for DHL.

This one came up on yahoo japan auctions, and I quite randomly stumbled on it with 7 hours to go and 0 bids in. Oddly, it didn't come up when I searched for it with "mccoy leather jacket" but it DID come up when I searched for "freewheelers leather jacket". There were 24 watching the listing, but I ended up being the only bidder, and got it for 98000 yen.

It's a size 44, and the measurements in the listing indicate it runs snug, which means it should fit me just about perfectly. It looks brand new, but the listing description says that this model was from 2000-01. I don't have any information about whether this design was produced in any other years, but for it to be that old and in what looks like unworn condition, it's a fantastic find. I know the Japanese culture values taking care of their possessions, and most of the stuff I've bought from Japanese sellers is in better condition than described, with even the stuff they describe as B grade looking like it hasn't been worn more than once.

I notice in reviewing the photos I've found that this jacket appears to have been made in a couple of color schemes, some appear to have black body panels while others appear to have what looks like seal brown body panels with lighter brown sleeves and belt. This one is apparently a seal body. I really can't say which I like better, both look fantastic, and I doubt I'll find another one for sale if I wait another two years.

View attachment 338046 View attachment 338044 View attachment 338045

I saw that listing when it was active! Congrats. Yahoo Japan Auctions is the way to shop IMO.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I saw that listing when it was active! Congrats. Yahoo Japan Auctions is the way to shop IMO.

If you know what you're looking for, and the listings provide enough information, that is.

High cost of shipping, wait time on shipping, and a general no returns policy combined with not usually being able to understand the response if you ask questions, if you receive a response, after machine translating Japanese to English makes it a bit iffy, but I've scored a few good purchases and occasionally gotten very nice deals on stuff there.

Motocann

One Too Many

View attachment 338046 View attachment 338044 View attachment 338045
That is the coolest jacket! How do you even access Japan auctions on Yahoo?

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112