Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

All Things Khaki - Clothing the Vintage Adventurer

kampkatz

Practically Family
I believe I recall seeing Edward's China photos in khaki gear(or something similar). I have a question about stain resistant treatment for khaki garments. Is there any product which does a good job and does not need frequent re-treatment?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
kampkatz said:
I believe I recall seeing Edward's China photos in khaki gear(or something similar). I have a question about stain resistant treatment for khaki garments. Is there any product which does a good job and does not need frequent re-treatment?

Hi, it's Knaki, it's supposed to be stained, after all, you wore it on Safari... I will admit that I have attempted to get the grease stains out of my 1941 Herringbone Twill jacket. If it don't come out, I'll wear it anyway.

Later

Edward

Bartender
laotou said:
That's exactly the spot Edward. I believe that is the 2nd gate to the Forbidden City in the background. The next time you go wear your kilt, you'll know how it feels to be a rockstar, gathering crowds and having your picture taken.

No kilt, but...

IMGP2316.jpg

I think this is the other end of the Square where we both had our photos done, and those are actually what were the gates of the old City Walls, dating back hundred of years.... the gatehouses were preserved, but the old wall was knocked down in the Seventies to make way for the ring road.... [/sob] (If ever you want a glimpse of what they would have been like, make the trip out to Xi'An - and when you're there, take the daytrip out to the Terracotta Army...).

kampkatz said:
I believe I recall seeing Edward's China photos in khaki gear(or something similar).

Good memory!

This photo was taken on the Wall in May 2009.

IMGP2444.jpg

In it I am wearing:

-'Safari-ised' Akubra Riverina (a mild conversion many of us on the Lounge did back in 2008 - it's still my favourite all-purpose hat for travel to hot climates)
- vintage cravat, purchsed for the princely sum of £3.50 in a Glasgow vintage shop; probably 1960s, I should think
- shirt is an official Pepsi-Max Indiana Jones branded shirt, a present from friends several years ago. Lovely cotton, good thick cloth but still perfect for wear in hot climates (I'll have an undershirt on below it in this shot)
- trousers are the Wested Indiana Jones trews, in wool. Nice trews, superb for hot climates, though these days I think I'd prefer to opt for something slightly higher waisted and a bit looser in the leg. Still, nice trews, very flexible and relatively inexpensive. I'd love to have some real thirties-cut trousers in this fabric.
- boots (not pictured) are a pair of Cats. Very similar to the later-war GI roughout boots, though higher-legged, like paratrooper boots.

This last photo was taken at a burlesque night with a jungle theme, last year, and features my WPG safari jacket:

IMGP2611.jpg

In this shot I'm weating the Wested trousers again, and the Cat boots, this time accessorised with a pair of vintage leather gaiters, age / source unknown - I picked them up for a few quid on eBay. The machete sheath is original British WW2, but the knife is a plastic prop - I didn't fancy having to explain to a passing policeman why I was carrying such a big blade....!

I have a question about stain resistant treatment for khaki garments. Is there any product which does a good job and does not need frequent re-treatment?

The wool trews I have to have drycleaned - tried a handwash in Woolite once, but it didn't work (and might just have shrunk one pair a tiny bit in length...). The rest I'm perfectly happy to machine wash on a moderate temperature followed by line-drying.... not aware of any stain resistant treatment, though tbh it's not something I've ever really fonude necessary with a decent cotton garment for fairly regular use....

Edward

Bartender
They're great - incredibly comfy, and I love that the sole is fairly low profile, not the "commando" type. Gives them much more of a vintage feel. The best of it was they cost me only GBP20.00 new - they were old stock / end of line on eBay. The laces are great too - old style leather.

1961MJS said:
Hi, it's Knaki, it's supposed to be stained, after all, you wore it on Safari... I will admit that I have attempted to get the grease stains out of my 1941 Herringbone Twill jacket. If it don't come out, I'll wear it anyway. Later

Grease and oil stains in clothes like jeans can often be reduced greatly or even completely removed by:
taking a big dollop of GOOP hand cleaner and soaking the stain in it,
brushing with a tooth brush, then letting it sit a bit before putting thru the wash. Repeat as necesary.

I have a fair number of short sleeved Safari Shirts from Cabela's mostly khaki, tan and green. I tend to pair them with various hiking shorts in warm weather and chinos or jeans in cooler weather.

When in safari shirt, shorts and topped with a fedora Matt Deckard refers to me as the Crocadile Hunter a lot. But I like the look and safari shirts with chinos or jeans feel it's an homage to a certain adventuring archiologist we all know so any Indy comments may make me snicker but feel happy too.

1961MJS

Hi

I own 3 safari jackets, about 10 pair of khaki or olive pants, and at least 4 khaki shirts from Cabelas, and a couple of What Price Glory WPG officer shirts.

I'm watching the last of the 15 Terry and the Pirates episodes on DVD, and was wondering where a person can get a decent white safari shirt.

C and D Jarnigin sells Civil war pullovers and will put pockets on them. These are white muslin (possible natural).
http://www.jarnaginco.com/catframe.html

This is as close to a 30's white safari shirt as I've seen. Anybody get any other ideas?

I'm also considering the UK Army Officer Khaki Drill Service Dress Tunic from WPG. Does anybody here own one yet? I wear safari jackets to work in the morning (60 degrees) from about late April until about June, and then again in the fall. I'm kind of wondering how one washes a jacket with brass buttons.

Thanks for the help.

Later

1961MJS

Creeping Past said:
Here's a link to Jarnigin's shirts. Their sites so bad I had to Google it... :rolleyes:

WPG do a repro British army pullover shirt in khaki but no white.

Why would you want white? This here's a khaki thread

Hi, because about half the people in the Terry and the Pirates serials, and several other safari movies are wearing white shirts. Besides I already have over 6 khaki shirts. I like the pockets on each side.

Later

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars

Baggers

Practically Family
Filson has a white shirt

1961MJS, take a look at Filson's Feather Cloth Shirt offered by David Morgan. It's available in several colors, in long or short sleeve, and has two big pleated pockets. I've got pretty much the same wardrobe as you, it appears, and this shirt is a basic for me in tan, olive green, and white. In fact, I think I'm wearing the white one in my avatar although you can't see much of it.

Also, I bought WPG's Khaki Drill Officer's SD Tunic earlier this Spring and rate it very highly. Unfortunately, it still hangs waiting for me to get the sleeves cuffed and waist belt shortened. One of the neat things about it is that the buttons are mounted on split rings for easy removal before laundering. It also allows me to swap the brass ones out for leather whenever I feel the need to "dress down."

Cheers!

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Woodwork...

Baggers said:
One of the neat things about it is that the buttons are mounted on split rings for easy removal before laundering. It also allows me to swap the brass ones out for leather whenever I feel the need to "dress down."

Cheers!

Hej, Baggers.

Buttons:
or the cool British Denim BD ones, which look good and a little civilian, even.

And BTW, what's up?

B
T

Mike K.

One Too Many
Why on earth would anyone pay $165 for a Lost World's shirt? This is a pretty common and simple pattern for a shirt, and they can be found almost everywhere for significantly less money.

Cabela's has this one on sale (in khaki, off-white, and light green) for $15
safari_shirt.jpg

They can also be found at L. L. Bean, Filson, eBay, Tag Safari, and numerous other places. White ones can be had at any number of uniform suppliers (search for pilot shirt).

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Hej, Baggers.

Buttons:
or the cool British Denim BD ones, which look good and a little civilian, even.

And BTW, what's up?

B
T

Hey BT.
Not much on this end beyond the usual stuff with a couple of notable exceptions. Beyond that, just getting ready for another hot, humid Texas Summer.

The green plastic ones on the rotating shanks? I think I saw one the characters in "Malta Story" wearing a bush jacket with those. I also I saw them on another jacket in "Mogambo." They'll work for the main closure down the front, but I'd need a smaller size than what I'm familiar with for the pockets and epaulettes. I like the leather ones. They give the jacket that Lawrence of Arabia vibe. :D

Mike K., I agree that $165 for a Lost Worlds shirt is over the top, but I'm pretty finicky about the styling details and most of the bargain priced shirts fall short in either materials or details that are not to my liking. For example, the epaulettes on the Cabela's shirt are too short and narrow. The two L. L. Bean shirts I have are the same way. Either do a proper American or British style epp or leave them off. Same thing with pockets, most are too small. Give me a man sized pocket in which I can at least put a notebook and pen or cigarette case and still be able to button it closed without it looking overstuffed. I'm willing to pay a few bucks to get what I want. Pay once, cry once.

By the way, I'm liking the new sub forum. It fits my pistol.

Cheers!

Elmonteman

One of the Regulars
[Mike K.]Why on earth would anyone pay $165 for a Lost World's shirt? This is a pretty common and simple pattern for a shirt, and they can be found almost everywhere for significantly less money.

Because money isn't everything.

Baggers

Practically Family
BellyTank said:
Yes, those.
I have several thousand of them but in khaki/tan,
rather than the darker green colour.

Baggers- there are matching coloured trouser buttons which
are perfect for the pockets/epps.

B
T

Oh really? Trouser buttons? Several thousand you say? Khaki/tan colored? Hmmm... (sound of mental "gears" turning) lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner